The General Book Thread

Discussion in 'Media Discussion' started by Y-San, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Y-San

Y-San Shinki

Were all literate people so why isn't there one yet? (unless there is, and I've missed it)

Discuss and talk about any books you want here including light novels, but no manga.

Anyway, today I read "Room" by Emma Donoghue, its probably one of the best books I've read to day, yes, even better than "The Very Hungry Caterpillar".

The Room is a harrowing tale through the eyes of a 5 year old "Jack" as he grows up in a 12 by 12 foot room with his mother.
    Jack is led to believe by his mother "Ma" that they way they live is how all humans live, but things are not as they seem and with in a second there whole world changes.

What surprised me about the book was I started expecting the extraordinary to happen but really it was rather ordinary, in fact almost plausible as something that would happen everyday, almost.

Saying anymore would spoil the book but there is a reason it is short listed for the 2010 man booker prize.

2. Sparrowsabre7

Sparrowsabre7 Za Warudo

Hmm interesting. I just finished "Crime and Punishment" I enjoyed the psychological cat and mouse parts and the philosophising on his fate, but towards the end I found it becoming a bit confusing and uninteresting.

Just bought Dante's Inferno to read so I'll be getting on with that soon =)

3. Genkina Hito

Genkina Hito 映画男!!! AUKN Staff

About to read Magnificent Bastards by Rich Hall.

The last book I read was... Broken Angels by Richard Morgan (he's writing Crysis 2) which was exciting sci-fi at its best.

4. memorium

memorium Za Warudo

i read A Hero of Our TIme by Mikhail Lermontov, and i have to say, it is an amazing read, i would definately recommend it, Pechorin has such an interesting character, just go read it :)

5. chaos

chaos The Boss Administrator

I'm reading Garth Nix's Keys to the kingdom series - reading Superior Saturday now. A good fantasy series, albeit no master piece.

6. ayase

ayase Mushi-shi

After he'd finished writing about the crime bit and moved on to the punishment, I felt it dragged a bit there for me.

7. ilmaestro

ilmaestro State Alchemist

I read The Keys to the Kingdom over the years as each one was released, chaos, really like Garth Nix. Let me know what you think of it once you're all done.

8. chaos

chaos The Boss Administrator

@maes - so far, so good. I've started Lord Sunday yesterday and I found quite chocking the fact he let the city be nuked...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  9. BlackWolf

BlackWolf Godhand

After i finish reading the last of the UFO books i got i'm going back to one of my favourite authors since i managed to find some old print editions of his books. HP Lovecraft, think i'll start with Dagon and go from there.

10. Genkina Hito

Genkina Hito 映画男!!! AUKN Staff

Oh Lord... Lovecraft and weird fiction... So trashy and overwrought yet entertaining.

Magnificent Bastards started strongly yet became hit and miss. The best stories drew elements from his past. He's great at building up scenes and characters but some of the stories became increasingly trivial and unfunny.

Starting Me Cheeta

11. MaxonTreik

MaxonTreik Chuunibyou

Last novel I read was The Portable Door by Tom Holt. It made for some decent reading during my summer job. The humour was pretty, uh, how do I describe it? I guess it had a facetious tone combined with sarcasm. Basically, it was pretty typical British humour. It was a bit of an odd novel because not a lot happens until about two thirds of the way through, then suddenly "MAGIC. MAGIC EVERYWHERE". It still makes for some fun light reading though. I'd give it a go if you like the type of humour I described.

I was given the His Dark Materials trilogy for Christmas a couple years ago but haven't got round to reading it yet. I may give it a read soon, or read the Che Guevara biography I've had for even longer.

12. Shirayuri

Shirayuri Shinigami

We're, dude.

Dude, you read "Room" and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" both in one day? ****.

OT: I'm about to start reading Of Mice and Men tommorow. I hear it's a classic, so i'd like to check it out.

13. memorium

memorium Za Warudo

Of Mice and Men is good, i recall reading it in GCSE english along with I'm The King of The Castle

14. ilmaestro

ilmaestro State Alchemist

I'm not a massive fan of most of John Steinbeck's stuff, but Of Mice and Men is one of the great books of all time, yes.

Any other classics that people particularly like? My two favorite books are Wuthering Heights and The Count of Monte Cristo.

15. memorium

memorium Za Warudo

i'm partial to The Hobbit, it's such a great Fantasy novel

A Hero of Our Time is a new favourite of mine

16. MaxonTreik

MaxonTreik Chuunibyou

It's good ****, man. Just be prepared to be depressed when reading it.

17. Y-San

Y-San Shinki

erm, yeah I did indeed, the hungry caterpillar isn't exactly a big read after all, still a good book though

18. ayase

ayase Mushi-shi

Same here, but that experience of having to study it what seemed like forever (and having an English teacher who insisted there were "right" and "wrong" ways to interpret things) ruined it for me for a good while. Only when I came back to it later did I realise what a great book it was. I was compelled to seek out some of Steinbeck's other stuff as well, and have liked what I've read.

19. Shirayuri

Shirayuri Shinigami

How come? Is it cause of the brother getting shot in the back of the head? I got spoilered on that bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  20. Jaymii

Jaymii Baka Ranger

Same here, kinda. When we had to read books, I always tried to read without the rest of the class - meaning I enjoyed it as much as one can enjoy a book being forced upon you.

Also, I know its not a good read, but I'm going to get the Southern Vampire Mysteries stuff soon.