The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

NormanicGrav

ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬
AUKN Staff
Between this and Blue Reflection 2 being PS4-only on the Sony side of things, it looks like Gust have given up on PS5 for now. Ryza 2 was digital-only for PS5, so I guess they've written the platform off as not cost-effective yet with its current install base.
I wonder if this is because they're just re-using the older engine which probably wasn't optimised for PS5 yet. I understood why Ryza 2 was digital-only for PS5 because of the free upgrade (which basically meant buying a physical PS5 copy in Japan pointless in a sense).

That said, if they do make a Ryza 3, that will probably be a PS5 & Switch release next time. Japanese devs generally don't bother with new hardware for the first few years anyway (heck I'm still surprised NIS America is bringing the upcoming Falcom titles to PS4 in 2022 & 2023).

Dai

Hunter
I wonder if this is because they're just re-using the older engine which probably wasn't optimised for PS5 yet.
That's possible, but I'm not sure if they are using the same engine as Sophie 1. Based on this article there will now be seamless transitions to battles, which is something even Ryza 2 didn't have. My best guess is they're just being pragmatic based on sales forecasts. Sophie is a fan-favourite, but Ryza is the franchise's biggest seller.

mikezilla2

School Idol
This is a surprise. Considering Gust's penchant for trilogies, it would have seemed a safe bet for the next Atelier game to be Ryza 3, but instead we're getting a sequel to Atelier Sophie.

Between this and Blue Reflection 2 being PS4-only on the Sony side of things, it looks like Gust have given up on PS5 for now. Ryza 2 was digital-only for PS5, so I guess they've written the platform off as not cost-effective yet with its current install base.

dos the Ps4 Disc Grant an upgrade ?

that being said theres ps5 disc version of that new tales game ....

Jon O Fun

Pokémon Master
If you mean Ryza 2, yes, you can download the PS5 upgrade for free with the PS4 disc.
Having downloaded the free PS5 upgrade I can see why they haven't announced a PS5 version of Sophie 2!
Ryza 2 PS5 is IDENTICAL to the PS4 version still runs at 30fps and everything, massively disappointing.
I'd guess Ryza 2 & Sophie 2 have been in development for a few years and Koei Tecmo just gave no resources to PS5 upgrades.