The order I placed with Rightstuf back in June during their week-long Discotek sale is finally on its way to me. I went for a variety of titles, leaning more into their recent output and also prioritising any limited editions like Holmes or Kyoto and Aho Girl.

I wasn’t expecting the order to arrive until October though, as it contains a variety of non-Discotek titles including two pre-orders that won’t be in stock until late Aug/early Sep. Usually RS never part-ship from experience so this is a new one for me.

A quick Discotek update.

Late on this but the following have been discontinued:

Anime:Format:First released:
Dancouga: Super Beast Machine GodBlu-rayNovember 2020
GoShogunBlu-rayOctober 2018
GoShogun: The Time EtrangerBlu-rayJune 2017
Space Warrior BaldiosBlu-rayOctober 2018
Space Warrior Baldios the MovieBlu-rayMay 2018

What each of them have in common is that they were all animated by studio Ashi Productions. Baldios was also co-animated by Kokusai Eiga-sha, who worked on the J9 trilogy which sold out last month.

Someone on Blu-ray forum made an interesting suggestion that the other Ashi Production titles Discotek have released could also be nearing the last chance territory, so if you were interested or had plans to get the following - I suggest you get them sooner than later:

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku NukuSD-BDAugust 2018
Blue SeedSD-BDDecember 2018
Machine Robo: Battle HackersSD-BDComing Soon
Machine Robo: Revenge of ChronosSD-BDFebruary 2022
NG Knight Lamune & 40SD-BDApril 2020
Powered Armor DorvackSD-BDJuly 2022
PsybusterDVDJuly 2017
Ultra ManiacDVDApril 2017
VS Knight Lamune & 40SD-BDAugust 2020

A quick Discotek update.

Late on this but the following have been discontinued:

Dancouga: Super Beast Machine GodBlu-rayNovember 2020
GoShogunBlu-rayOctober 2018
GoShogun: The Time EtrangerBlu-rayJune 2017
Space Warrior BaldiosBlu-rayOctober 2018
Space Warrior Baldios the MovieBlu-rayMay 2018

What each of them have in common is that they were all animated by studio Ashi Productions. Baldios was also co-animated by Kokusai Eiga-sha, who worked on the J9 trilogy which sold out last month.

Someone on Blu-ray forum made an interesting suggestion that the other Ashi Production titles Discotek have released could also be nearing the last chance territory, so if you were interested or had plans to get the following - I suggest you get them sooner than later:

PsybusterDVDJuly 2017
Looks like GoShogun is already GoneShogun on both Right Stuf and Amazon. I have the movie, but I'd been on the fence about the TV series. You snooze you lose, I guess. :confused:

If I really liked Marmalade Boy am I likely to enjoy Ultra Maniac? (asking as IIRC they have the same creator) :)
That's what I was hoping when I bought it. It's not a bad show, but it isn't in the same league as Marmalade Boy. As magical girl shows go, the only remarkable thing about it is that it feels even older than it is, like an 80s series that ignores the changes Sailor Moon brought to the genre.

If I really liked Marmalade Boy am I likely to enjoy Ultra Maniac? (asking as IIRC they have the same creator) :)
Hmm I’m not the best person to ask as I wasn’t the biggest fan of MB but Ultra Maniac was a decent watch from what I remember even with the issues I had with it. I’d say it’s worth a watch if you like the genre.

Discotek's November 2022 line-up has been revealed, no surprises here.

AnimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Cat's Eye Season 2$49.95Japanese
with English Subs
37 episodesBlu-ray
Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds$24.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
Film
Live-Action: Toku Time
Blu-ray
Sherlock Hound$69.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
26 episodesBlu-ray
Symphogear AXZ$39.95Japanese
with English Subs
13 episodesBlu-ray
Tales of Symphonia the Animation$49.95Japanese
with English Subs
11 episodesBlu-ray
Urusei Yatsura: Always My Darling$24.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray

Unreleased/Left to release:
  • City Hunter Movie & Specials Collection (Blu-ray)
  • Digimon: Digital Monsters Season 1 Dubbed Ver. (Blu-ray)
  • Digimon: Digital Monsters Season 1 Subbed Ver. (Blu-ray)
  • Dino Mech Gaiking (SD-BD)
  • Gunbuster (Blu-ray)
  • Kodocha Season 2 (SD-BD)
  • Lupin the Third: Farewell to Nostradamus (Blu-ray)
  • Machine Robo: Battle Hackers (SD-BD)
  • Medarot (SD-BD)
  • Project A-ko 3: Cinderella Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
  • Project A-ko 4: FINAL (Love & Robots) (Blu-ray)
  • Sgt. Frog Season 3 (SD-BD)
  • Sgt. Frog Season 4 (SD-BD)
  • Sgt. Frog Season 5 (SD-BD)
  • Sgt. Frog Season 6 (SD-BD)
  • Sgt. Frog Season 7 (SD-BD)
  • Shaman King (2001) Subbed Ver. (Blu-ray)
  • Symphogear XZ (Blu-ray)
  • Urusei Yatsura Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
  • Urusei Yatsura Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
  • Urusei Yatsura Collection 3 (Blu-ray)
  • Urusei Yatsura Collection 4 (Blu-ray)
  • Virtua Fighter (SD-BD)
EDIT: A quick update on the OOP situation:
The shows going OOP will generally be the more niche/sub only ones, as those tend to be far lower sellers than things with dubs, or anything from big franchises. There are no plans for any reissues. They will largely be the ones few people have heard of. So if you're on a budget and need to prioritize, those are the parameters.
Basically the titles likely to discontinue are subtitled only releases, especially the niche ones. Franchises like Lupin, Case Closed, Symphogear, Urusei Yatsura, you can expect to stick around. In fact if a series is old but got reprinted with a curved slipcase then you can assume they will stick around also. I do suggest going after the older releases (especially ones that started off as a DVD release then got a Blu-ray upgrade) as they can go at any moment.

Urusei Yatsura: Always My Darling
Easily the weakest of the UY movies. Not a bad movie by any means, but after the wild imagination and high quality of many of the earlier titles, ending the movie series with a basic love potion plot is an anticlimax.

I wonder if Gunbuster is going to slip to next year. With only the December slate left to announce, it's starting to look likely.

Easily the weakest of the UY movies. Not a bad movie by any means, but after the wild imagination and high quality of many of the earlier titles, ending the movie series with a basic love potion plot is an anticlimax.

I wonder if Gunbuster is going to slip to next year. With only the December slate left to announce, it's starting to look likely.
It's not great. The writing is bizarrely uninspired considering series vet Tomoko Konparu is co-credited with screenplay, and it doesn't look or feel anything like the rest of the series. A curiously hollow experience.

But it does have decent technical merits: Shimbo, Koike, and Umetsu are key animators for the film. And that end theme is funkeh.

Doubt we'll see Gunbuster this side of Christmas, but we can hope. It'll be worth the wait regardless 🤘

If we're throwing things under the bus, I thought Nostradamus was a huge disappointment. Helen McCarthy spoke highly of it in one of her older guidebooks, so I'd been looking forward to it for a long time, but when I finally saw it, I thought it was barely average by the standard of the Lupin TV specials, never mind the cinema releases. The central conceit is fine, but it seems to burn through any good ideas it had by the end of the first act, and spends the rest of the runtime just treading water in the blandest way possible.

Would be interested to know how anyone else who picks it up gets on though.

PsybusterDVDJuly 2017
Ultra Maniac DVD is now no longer available.

New additions to the Last Chance items list on Rightstuf:

Anime:Format:First Released:
Fair Then Partly Piggy the MovieBD/DVDMay 2018
Psycho Armor GovarianSD-BDFebruary 2020
So these two both sold out about 2 hours after a certain twitter account mentioned it on social media at 2am UK time.

Apparently Yowamushi Pedal the Movie is also next in line according to Discotek's website, but that baffles me considering the others are not (which leads me to believe it's probably going to get a re-release without the DVD like Kaiba did).

Back