I've tried the Dinosaur King, Beyblade and Bobobo SD BDs on my (unmodded) PS3 and none of them worked.

Edit: Shaman King doesn't work either

Last edited:
To anyone that brought the Kodocha SD-Blu-Ray, I have a couple of questions?
1. How's the video quality?
2. Will the discs play on PS3Hen?
3. What's the extra features?

Apologies for asking these questions, but I want to know before I make a purchase of one of my favourite animes.

Last edited:
To anyone that brought the Kodocha SD-Blu-Ray, I have a couple of questions?
1. How's the video quality?
2. Will the discs play on PS3Hen?
3. What's the extra features?

Apologies for asking these questions, but I want to know before I make a purchase of one of my favourite animes.

All valid questions, none of which I can answer. I can however use this as an excuse to post the perhaps fittingly 10yo/preteen trailer.

'Tis the only little girl adult men can enjoy in the.... right way: one voiced/rapped by Laura Bailey, at x2 speed~

Last edited:
DISCOTEK PANEL: DECEMBER 2021 EDITION:

Because of my sleeping pattern I had to miss last night's panel, but below is a list in more detail on what was announced (and they also went over the upcoming slates for Q1 which could get pushed back).

Announcement #1 | Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san (Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san)
TV Series Coming to Blu-ray (HD)
  • In Japanese with English subtitles.
  • Other on-disc special features are TBD.
  • Currently scheduled for March 2022.
Announcement #2 | Tales of Phantasia the Animation
OVA Series Coming to Blu-ray (HD) [Previously announced for streaming on Crunchyroll by Discotek]
  • In Japanese with English subtitles plus Geneon English dub.
  • Includes Interview Extras.
  • Currently scheduled for April 2022.
Announcement #3 | Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood (Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood)
  • Currently scheduled for February 2022.
Announcement #4 | Angel Cop (HD Remaster)
OVA Series Coming to Blu-ray (HD) [Previously released by Discotek on Blu-ray & DVD]
  • In Japanese with English subtitles plus Manga Ent. English dub.
  • Previously released on Blu-ray as an upscale, now re-released with a proper HD master as this series was among Project A-ko and Appleseed with their original materials found in Japan together.
  • Will be presented as a steelbook set.
  • Native 4:3 for the first time.
  • New extras include Japanese promo, a US promo, and a clean ED from the original 35mm.
  • Currently scheduled for 2022.
Status Update #1 | Gunbuster
  • Casting and scriptwriting for the English dub is underway.
  • Currently aiming for a mid-2022 release window.
Status Update #2 | Lupin the Third: The Mystery of Mamo
  • Includes 4 English dubs.
  • Tons of extras including liner notes by Reed Nelson.
Announcement #5 | Lupin the Third Part 1
TV Series Coming to Blu-ray (HD) [Previously released by Discotek on DVD]
  • In Japanese with English subtitles plus a brand new English dub with Tony Oliver & co. returning from Part II/IV/V cast to reprise their voices.
  • Remastering the series using the same materials that the Japanese Blu-rays used, but with color correction and dust removal.
  • Tons of extras including 200 pages of liner notes by Reed Nelson and rare production gallery.
  • Pilot Film from the very first Part 1 Discotek release will not be included as it's a separate license.
Announcement #6 | Lupin the Third Episode 0: First Contact
TV Special Coming to Blu-ray (HD) [Previously released by Discotek on DVD]
  • In Japanese with English subtitles plus a brand new English dub with Tony Oliver & co. returning from Part II/IV/V cast to reprise their voices.
  • Brand new Upscale release.
  • Extras include Audio Commentary by Reed Nelson and Japanese Commercials.
Status Update #3 | Mon Colle Knights
  • The English dub masters have been found.
  • SD-BD release is incoming.
  • Currently aiming for a mid-2022 release window.
Announcement #7 | The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
TV Series Coming to Blu-ray (SD)
  • Western animated TV series, in English audio and English captions.
  • Stereo audio.
  • Christmas special "Sonic Christmas Blast" also included.
  • Original Sales plot.
  • Original rushes from the very first episode.
  • Audio Commentary by artist and animator Milton Knight on two episodes, plus pilot and rushes.
  • Original commercial bumpers. Syndication commercials. Art gallery with rare production art.
Announcement #8 | Street Sharks
  • Western animated TV series, in English audio and English captions.
Announcement #9 | Galactic Gale Baxingar
Status Update #4 | City Hunter 3 & '91
  • Currently scheduled for March & April 2022.
Announcement #10 | Cat's Eye Season 1
  • Currently scheduled for Spring 2022.
Status Update #5 | Machine Robo - Revenge of Cronos
  • In Japanese with English subtitles. They subtitled the rest that CPM never managed to cover.
  • OVAs "Leina: Wolf Sword Legend" and "Lightning Trap- Leina and Laika" also included.
  • Extras include Music Videos, Clean OP/ED, Karaoke, Promo Vids and Pilot Film
Announcement #11 | As Ms. Beelzebub Likes It (Beruzebubu-jō no Okinimesu Mama.)
Announcement #12 | Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation
  • Currently scheduled for April 2022.
Status Update #6 | Urusei Yatsura Films
  • Movie 1: Only You is the Director's Cut.
  • Movie 4: Lum the Forever Currently scheduled for Spring 2022.
  • The films are presented in widescreen due to licensor requirements.
Announcement #13 | You Are Umasou
Films, Mini Series Coming to Blu-ray (HD)
  • Includes both the films and the mini-series together.
  • Technical issue for Movie 2 was also fixed.
  • Currently scheduled for Spring 2022.

Discotek's February 2022 line-up was revealed during the panel.

AnimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog???English
with English HOH Subs
65 episodesSD Blu-ray
Angel Cop???English & Japanese
with English Subs
6 episodesBlu-ray
Steelbook
Galactic Gale Baxingar???Japanese
with English Subs
39 episodesSD Blu-ray
Machine Robo - Revenge of Cronos???Japanese
with English Subs
47 episodesSD Blu-ray
Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood???Japanese
with English Subs
12 episodesBlu-ray

And March 2022:

As Ms. Beelzebub Likes It???Japanese
with English Subs
12 episodesBlu-ray
City Hunter 3???Japanese
with English Subs
13 episodesBlu-ray
Lupin the Third: The Mystery of Mamo???English & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san???Japanese
with English Subs
12 episodesBlu-ray
Tomorrow's Joe 2 the Movie???Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray

And April 2022:

City Hunter '91???Japanese
with English Subs
13 episodesBlu-ray
Street Sharks???English
with English HOH Subs
40 episodesSD Blu-ray
Tales of Phantasia the Animation???English & Japanese
with English Subs
4 episodesBlu-ray
Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation???Japanese
with English Subs
25 episodesBlu-ray

Last edited:
OMG, that dub for the two full episodes of Ninja Robots they showed at the end of the stream, I was ROFL-ing through the entirety of both of those episodes. May have to pick that up just for the laughs showing it to my friends... 🤣🤣🤣

Looks like I'll go for:

Angel Cop steelbook - since it's Discoteks very first steel, and I have not bought the series yet. Looks awesomely mouth-wateringly violent!
Lupin Part I Blu-ray - will they ever get Part II on Blu-ray?
Lupin Episode 0 Blu-ray
Cat's Eye Blu-ray
- I just bought the US DVD boxset right before it went OOP, now coming to Blu-ray
City Hunter - the remaining two releases, Season 3 and '91.
Tales of Phantasia! - so this is part of the "Tales of" game series... since I have the Blu-rays for Vespiria and Zestiria, I'll most likely get this one too.

I'm definitely not interested in any of that kiddie kartoon stuff, though - heck, I was almost 30 years old when all those western cartoons they were announcing were airing, so I care nothing about any of those series. My two daughters were into Sonic, so that's more their generation.

Yet to pick up any Discotek releases (as I lack a multi-region player) but AoStH is a real surprise which I need to pick up, one of my favourite Sonic animated series, may have to put in an order for that and their Sonic X release sometime.

I assume this means we'll get Sonic SatAM and Underground next as they're DiC as well if I'm correct. If Discotek could get a hold of the OVA as well, then they'll be getting a lot of money from me.

I'm also not sure if to wait and see if Anime Limited will release all of Lupin or not, as there is a lot of it and I don't know how financially successful it is for them that they'd go for everything.

I know we're getting Part 5 and supposedly Part 6 as well the rest of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine series due to Andrew kind of leaking it last year and seeing as The Secret of Mamo and Lupin the Third vs. Detective Conan were apart of Screen Anime during SLA was it? along with the aforementioned WCFM series maybe those as well?

I am loving the few Lupin releases we have so far, so hoping they continue, I'll be buying every single one of them.

I can think of shows more deserving of a steelbook release Angel Cop, but I might get it in the hope that they do more of them. That, and I didn't buy the previous standard BD.

UY1 confirmed to be Director's Cut? I think that's the shorter version. Saddoface that Discotek couldn't get the longer cut as well, which I assume is a licensor stipulation. Boooo.

Lupin Episode 0 yesssss. One of the best specials, low bar that may be. And dubbed too 🤘 Typing of Lupin dubs, looks as though Mamo will include the Manga UK one that I absolutely loved and which they left off their own DVD. Happy days.

Last edited:
Ms Vampire Who Lives in My Neighbourhood and Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san are quite a few years old now, so those are both pleasant surprises. The first of those is a definite buy (more GL releases are always a good thing), but the latter will depend on the price (since they're short episodes and I've seen the series twice already).

Quite glad I didn't get round to buying the last Angel Cop Blu ray now there's a true remaster on the way!

The Lupin Part 1 remaster is such a nice surprise and it sounds from Discotek's livestream as if they've blown the Japanese release (which had some serious issues) out of the water! Definite must buy.

Also picking up: Lupin 3rd Episode 0: First Contact, Baxingar, Machine Robo, City Hunter 3, City Hunter 91 and of course Cat's Eye (Was really hoping this would get announced, makes sense since they're already doing City Hunter).

@fabio de lunatico I thought they had both cuts of Urusei Yatsura: Only You? Apologies if I'm wrong but I thought they said that in the livestream or on Twitter (Was sure I heard it somewhere).

Considering there's already quite a few announced shows I'm after from them this has only added to the wants pile. Might as well just hand Discotek my wallet in 2022.

Last edited:
Status Update #6 | Urusei Yatsura Films
  • Movie 1: Only You is the Director's Cut.
  • Movie 4: Lum the Forever Currently scheduled for Spring 2022.
  • The films are presented in widescreen due to licensor requirement

@fabio de lunatico I thought they had both cuts of Urusei Yatsura: Only You? Apologies if I'm wrong but I thought they said that in the livestream or on Twitter (Was sure I heard it somewhere)
I thought I'd heard that as well, but the quote I took from Grav's post suggests DC only. That said, I can't see anything to that effect on the linked Tweet.

After checking their twitter I also checked the BD forum as I wasn't there for the live stream. Someone mentioned it there which had a bunch of likes that suggests good news than bad. If its both versions I can amend the list though.
The UK DVD and VHS of Only You are both 101 minutes. That's PAL, so that may or may not have 4% speed-up depending on what the source was, meaning the unadjusted runtime could be a few minutes longer. Right Stuf have the runtime for Discotek's blu-ray as 90 minutes. Of course it's hard to tell if that's placeholder/inaccurate info (as so often happens), or if they really are releasing the shorter version.

As for which scenes might be missing, IMDB has the following about the old laserdisc. I'll be very disappointed if all of these are missing from the blu-ray, especially the invitation to Mendou (a massively elaborate scene) and the intergalactic phone call.
In the original LD release, many early scenes were cut out:
  • 1. Mendou's wedding invitation scene, which lied between the prologue and the opening credits.
  • 2. Ataru rides Elle spaceship's escalator up to the Captain, Lum tries to zap him, but he's protected by a shield.
  • 3. The first time Ataru runs down the Elle spaceship's escalator to get away from Babara.
  • 5. Lum's brief conversation with Ataru as he rides the escalator back down to the clock tower.
  • 6. Lum moping through town and eventually encountering Benten.
  • 7. Benten's intergalactic phone call at the beef-bowl shop and the arrival of Rei.

Back