Dear Brother, which had a small licensing window, is now listed under Last Chance on Rightstuf. It was on offer for a Mega Deal and I expect it to sell out entirely by the end of the month so best to grab it while you can.

Should had got it sooner myself but put in an order for it on UP1 so fingers crossed I can secure a copy, thanks for the update.

Glad I got that title when I did. Speaking of Mega Deal, I’m looking to see how many Discotek titles return in the final day.

Shame but understandable. I'd love to get there Galaxy Express 999 tv collections, but only have a multi region dvd player

Discotek's March 2023 line-up was revealed. No new surprises as these were revealed during their last panel. UPDATE: Lupin title also added which is a new announcement.

AnimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Another (2012 film)$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
Live-Action Film
NIHON NIGHTS
Blu-ray
Lupin the Third: Swallowtail Tattoo
(aka Stolen Lupin ~ The Copy Cat is a Midsummer's Butterfly~)
$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
TV SpecialBlu-ray
Mononoke$39.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
12 episodesBlu-ray
Treasure Island (1978)$49.95Japanese
with English Subs
26 episodesBlu-ray

UPDATE - and one of them is actually for April lol

nimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Gunbuster$39.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
6 OVA episodesBlu-ray

Last edited:
Discotek's March 2023 line-up was revealed. No new surprises as these were revealed during their last panel. UPDATE: Lupin title also added which is a new announcement.

AnimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Another (2012 film)$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
Live-Action Film
NIHON NIGHTS
Blu-ray
Lupin the Third: Swallowtail Tattoo
(aka Stolen Lupin ~ The Copy Cat is a Midsummer's Butterfly~)
$24.95Japanese
with English Subs
TV SpecialBlu-ray
Mononoke$39.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
12 episodesBlu-ray
Treasure Island (1978)$49.95Japanese
with English Subs
26 episodesBlu-ray

UPDATE - and one of them is actually for April lol

nimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Gunbuster$39.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
6 OVA episodesBlu-ray
It's good that Gunbuster finally has a release date, though after all the hype Discotek have been giving this release I'm surprised that the packaging just looks like the standard amaray and slipcase they use for everything.

Now comes the awkward question of whether to import this or wait for AL to announce their version. Considering that they don't seem to be planning any new title announcements until March, plus the inevitable three delays after something is announced, I'd be surprised if the UK gets it before the tail end of the year, at the earliest.

It's good that Gunbuster finally has a release date, though after all the hype Discotek have been giving this release I'm surprised that the packaging just looks like the standard amaray and slipcase they use for everything.

Now comes the awkward question of whether to import this or wait for AL to announce their version. Considering that they don't seem to be planning any new title announcements until March, plus the inevitable three delays after something is announced, I'd be surprised if the UK gets it before the tail end of the year, at the earliest.
Trying to decide whether to import myself. I know I'll end up double dipping if I do, and there's a good chance I won't even watch it before the UK release is available, but it's so tempting.

I imagine it'll be at least an additional four months before AL get around to their release. Pompo still hasn't been officially announced or given a date and that's been out in the US since July.

Since I have the Bandai Visual DVD box set, I might just go Discotek in this case and swap the disc into that.

image.png

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, the second film in the franchise and directed by Mamoru Oshii, is now 'no longer available for purchase' on Rightstuf after it went into 'Last Chance' status last night.

This film is a different licensor to the others in the franchise and was also released on Blu-ray & DVD back in 2018 (with its license announcement in 2017), so I consider this to be a natural license expiration than something like what's happened with the J9 trilogy. Could it come back? It's possible, but it depends on whether Discotek is allowed to renew the license or if they're even interested given their massive backlog.

Meanwhile Dear Brother and Space Warrior Baldios are both still available despite also in the same status.

image.png

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, the second film in the franchise and directed by Mamoru Oshii, is now 'no longer available for purchase' on Rightstuf after it went into 'Last Chance' status last night.

This film is a different licensor to the others in the franchise and was also released on Blu-ray & DVD back in 2018 (with its license announcement in 2017), so I consider this to be a natural license expiration than something like what's happened with the J9 trilogy. Could it come back? It's possible, but it depends on whether Discotek is allowed to renew the license or if they're even interested given their massive backlog.

Meanwhile Dear Brother and Space Warrior Baldios are both still available despite also in the same status.

Saw that it was so put in an order on UP1 but I guess that will be cancelled now it's sold out, dang. I'd always planned to pick up the series, especially recently as I'm enjoying the new series so I'll do my best to track it down unless Discotek re-print / re-release it.

Saw that it was so put in an order on UP1 but I guess that will be cancelled now it's sold out, dang. I'd always planned to pick up the series, especially recently as I'm enjoying the new series so I'll do my best to track it down unless Discotek re-print / re-release it.
United Publications tends to buy their titles straight from Rightstuf and considering the warning came outside of their working hours unfortunately I am expecting them to not be able to get it in the end. This is something a few of us have learned the hard way after what happened with GoShogun back in September.

United Publications tends to buy their titles straight from Rightstuf and considering the warning came outside of their working hours unfortunately I am expecting them to not be able to get it in the end. This is something a few of us have learned the hard way after what happened with GoShogun back in September.

Exactly 😅 have only had a multi-region player for around 6 months or so now I think so I'm very behind on Discotek titles and with them releasing the series I assumed it would be safe but as you mentioned it was a different license compared to the rest of the series so that wasn't the case in this instance. Hopefully I can find it without having to pay to much.

Exactly 😅 have only had a multi-region player for around 6 months or so now I think so I'm very behind on Discotek titles and with them releasing the series I assumed it would be safe but as you mentioned it was a different license compared to the rest of the series so that wasn't the case in this instance. Hopefully I can find it without having to pay to much.
When assessing potential OOP risk, don't forget Grav's excellent list of Discotek titles sorted by release year on the first page of this thread. City Hunter is an unusual case, since they seem to just be phasing out the part sets now that there's a complete series 1 set, rather than it being a license expiry.

How I’m looking at the OOP situation is that the older the series the greater chance it has to go OOP, especially if it’s a niche and sub-only series. There are exceptions to the rule with unexpected licensing expirations but I’ve been factoring this into my recent Discotek pick-ups. Paying OOP prices last year for the J9 trilogy and GoShogun is a situation I’d like to avoid repeating if possible.

Back