The DC Comics Reboot

memorium

Za Warudo
Surprised that there's no thread on this, anyway it's comming very close to the launch date of the reboot comics, what's your opinion on this move? Personally I've not read any of DC's comics (never knew where to get them from, plus I'm uncertain if they rerelease older comics in volumes like Manga) but I'm no dumbass when it comes to certain series (so much time wasted on wikipedia reading about various characters).

Here's who's in, a lot of them are Batman related:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/10/ ... s-missing/

Until each superhero has their own universe and crossovers are banned I'm not interested. I'm not following two dozen comics in order to make sense of the universe they're set in. Not that I would have to do that, but I would want to - I get that from being a fan of fantasy novels and RPGs.

Not really interested in the reboot all that much but I'll give a few issues of whatever a go, definitely gonna torr-- buy as much as I can.

EDIT: OMG, the writer of American Vampire is covering Swamp Thing, I'm ALL over it.

Definitely gonna try Green Arrow, some Batman, Teen Titans, Wonder Woman & Blue Beetle. Only guaranteed read is Swamp Thing, I actually might even buy it.

Older comics are rereleased in TPB's. But you really don't need to know backstories for stuff like Spiderman/Batman etc. Just jump in at any storyarc, afaik.

To be fair every man and his dog knows the backstory to most of the main superheroes, just concerned 'bout starting halfway through an arc, which is why I've never really bothered with Comics.

Out of the reboot, Deathstroke, Batman, Justice League and possibly Teen Titans take my fancy

I don't follow DC really as the only character I like a whole bunch is Batman. I like Superman, but I prefer him as a foil to Batman ironically. On his own I don't enjoy his tales as much.

I tend to just purchase the odd tpb for Bats, the only comics I actively follow is Ultimate Marvel.

I used to share similar concerns about Western comics, but with a subscription to Marvel online I've found myself going back and reading a lot of the "classic" story arcs. From what I heard (admittedly a couple of months ago), DC will be launching a similar online thing once the reboot hits, so I may look into their stuff more then.

I thouhgt It was only going to be Marvel having a reboot, not that I've been reading either regardless. I prefer the teen titans comics of George Perez and Wolfman. I think part of it for the reboot is formation they had from 2003 with three new allies. If we're looking at this from an original stand point it did use to be Wonder Girl, Kid Flash and Robin (just replacing Aqualad with Superboy)

Isn't that Spiderman 2099? I mean I haven't read it, but the Spiderman in that has a pretty Hispanic sounding name from what I've read on the internet.

Otaku-san said:
something about spider man being a black mexican along those lines

Lex Luthor: WROOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGG!!

That's ULTIMATE Spider-man, which is kind of the equivalent of the DC reboot, but it's like having their cake and eating it.

Ultimate Marvel was started in 2000ish as an alternate universe to classic Marvel, as they needed to rake in more fans who were being put off by over 40 years of continuity. It also tells stories that couldn't be told in the normal marvel universe (like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being in an incestuous relationship, Hulk eating people and dead characters staying dead (for the most part))

Recently Ultimate Spider-man was killed and is now being replaced by Mile Morales who's half-black, half-hispanic.

(Ultimate Marvel is the only comic series I consistently read :p)

I bought quite a lot of comics before the reboot, I plan on adding a few more titles to what I wanna get.

I have Justice League #1 now, it's pretty good but kinda too short, and starting with Batman and Green Lantern is a nice idea since they never seem to get along, remember All Star Batman and Robin?

My to get list is big...

Action Comics
Superman
Supergirl
Superboy
Detective Comics
Batman
The Dark Knight
Batman and Robin
Batgirl
Nightwing
Redhood and the Outlaws
Teen Titans
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: The New Guardians
Red Lanterns
The Flash
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Justice League International

I might drop some of them though, I'm looking forward to Azzarello's Horror version of Wonder Woman, and Grant Morrison handles Superman better than he does Batman, and I liked his Batman.

My favourite book before the reboot was Batman and Robin before Morrison stopped writing it, but that was the Dick and Damian team up, I'm kinda looking forward to Bruce and Damian working together as father and son. My second favourite would have been Green Lantern Corps.

Read Detective Comics yesterday and bought Swamp Thing & Action Comics, will read them later tonight. Everyone is going crazy for Swamp Thing and I wanted it before it was released.

The Time Traveller said:
remember All Star Batman and Robin?

I really hope there's a chance this will get finished.

I can't get any of them at my local comic shop, keep selling out before I can even get there, luckily I can buy them online, but I accidentally ordered last weeks comics with next weeks comics, so I have to wait to get them all in on go...

Back