The case of Mistaken Identity!

Chaz

Chuunibyou
Ok, this is absolutely shocking! I have actually been mistaken for someone else, and now it seems I'm taking the wrap for it.

Appartently, I have been a naughty boy and spent a day in Leeds while leaving my car in a no parking area (private parking or double yellow etc, I dont know...)
The truth is... (In classic Jericho fashion) I have never... EEEEEEVER been to Leeds in my life! I have not lent my car to anyone for a long time, so it can't possibly been put there, with or without consent. Even when I do, it's only just for something down the road.
Another thing to question: WTF am I doing in Leeds at 23:15 at night, when I'm Lancs based?!! :roll:

The Fylde and Leeds are 2 different places, and now I'm being accused of something some bozo messed up for (in terms of parking and charging).
Well they're definately going to get a concerned e-mail from me, cuz I'm not coughing up £72+ for this s***.

Anyone else had mistaken identity for the wrong reasons?

Probably some simple admin error somewhere along the process for sending out fines?

I had a court summons for unpaid council tax that wasn't for me. I was receiving them because I had the same first and last name as someone else in my borough. Luckily the council sorted it when I phoned them to explain, which is unusual for councils apparently.

Good luck getting that one straightened out Chaz!

Regards
K

There's this weirdo who keeps confusing me with someone called Tonyo, if that counts...

Worst case scenario, someone's cloned your car (had copies of your number plates made and attached them to an identical vehicle) leaving them free to rack up parking fines, speed camera fines, steal petrol and do hit 'n' runs while you take the rap. I'd sort this out ASAP Chaz.

Leeds, or at least a certain part of the city centre, isn't too bad. It has a Debenhams and a fancy arcade. As is common in the area though, the place is riddled with folk who'd park their car all day illegally without batting an eyelid, and would most probably perpetrate a great many other misdemeanours also.

I used to work in parking control, so give me a nudge if you need help :)

(Suddenly her personality makes that little bit more sense to people...)

Ayase is most likely right, some ruffian has cloned your plates and when they didn't pay their ticket the DVLA supplied your details to the council as the legal keeper of the vehicle. Call the council; chances are extremely high than the observed vehicle looked completely different to yours and all you need to do is mail them a copy of your logbook showing the colour/model of your car; they'll file it as a clone and hopefully someone will eventually catch and punish the culprit.

That or some monkey at the DVLA typoed your registration and sent the wrong details. Anyway, the original contravention log would have recorded the offending vehicle's particulars so unless there's a massive coincidence it should be easy to prove they are different cars.

Good luck!

R

Thanks for the info guys. :) I've e-mailled the group (UKCPS) asking for any info and that I will help out in any investigation. If it's as simple as showing a logbook, then that's fine by me.

@Rui - Ah, that's where you learned that near-unbreakable patience then. ;)

Rui said:
Ayase is most likely right, some ruffian has cloned your plates and when they didn't pay their ticket the DVLA supplied your details to the council as the legal keeper of the vehicle. Call the council; chances are extremely high than the observed vehicle looked completely different to yours and all you need to do is mail them a copy of your logbook showing the colour/model of your car; they'll file it as a clone and hopefully someone will eventually catch and punish the culprit.
Well that's pretty amateurish of them. If I was cloning someone's number plates I'd at least endeavour to put them on a car of the same model and colour. Crime is obviously in dire need of some organisation.

ayase said:
Well that's pretty amateurish of them. If I was cloning someone's number plates I'd at least endeavour to put them on a car of the same model and colour. Crime is obviously in dire need of some organisation.
Back home the plates have the name of the state where it was issued. Some criminals misspelled the name of the state and were arrested because of that =)

Well, it's all sorted out now. The peeps at UKCPS messed up with the input of information, though they did give me a scare.
They got the details on my car correct (colour, make etc.)... however, they looked again at the reg number and realised the mistake.

Thanks gawd it's over.

Back