The Ancient Magus' Bride Part Two Review

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Relationships and the bonds we share are at the forefront of this last volume in Wit Studio's dark fantasy, but will Chise and Elias leave us spellbound in the conclusion to The Ancient Magus' Bride?

Continue reading...

Did the scores for part 1 & 2 get mixed up or something? 😅
To be honest, I was really mixed on the anime's second half when I followed the weekly simulcasts - especially how it resolved Cartaphilus' story. On a rewatch however, I found myself appreciating it a lot more as fitting the series' overall tone and narrative goals. I also found this volume really shown off areas it did well in the first; with a small example being the attention to detail in recreating London and such, and a bigger one being Chise's feelings towards her mother, and her relationship with Elias.

The lower score for Part 1 was partly due to Manga's release, rather than the show itself. The DVDs we were supplied with looked atrocious, and I just couldn't justify the OVAs being Blu-ray only, as they're easily the best part of this whole show. At least the BD-only extras here are trivial.

Part 2 also had a half-episode focusing on Silky, so...

The lower score for Part 1 was partly due to Manga's release, rather than the show itself. The DVDs we were supplied with looked atrocious, and I just couldn't justify the OVAs being Blu-ray only, as they're easily the best part of this whole show. At least the BD-only extras here are trivial.

For the extras being BD only, you can blame Funimation on that one. They've been making various extras BD only for a long while, and international releases which use Funi's discs/encodes will have that issue carried over to them.

For the extras being BD only, you can blame Funimation on that one. They've been making various extras BD only for a long while, and international releases which use Funi's discs/encodes will have that issue carried over to them.
Oh yeah, I know it's Funimation's fault - which I mentioned in my Part One review. Regardless of who made the call though, it negatively impacted the release I was reviewing.

I can't exactly blame Manga for not wanting to go through the expense of making their own masters, but something as important as the OVAs just shouldn't have been treated the way they were.

Oh yeah, I know it's Funimation's fault - which I mentioned in my Part One review. Regardless of who made the call though, it negatively impacted the release I was reviewing.

I can't exactly blame Manga for not wanting to go through the expense of making their own masters, but something as important as the OVAs just shouldn't have been treated the way they were.

I couldn't agree more about that.

Back