The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

BlackWolf

Godhand
Righty then, its been a while since i've had a good talk on anything to do with gundam, so i thought i would set up a thread to deal with anything related to the gundam anime (series, OVAs and the movies), and even the black sheep of the family G-Saviour.

So any questions about any of the series? or anything you would like to talk about just post them here :)

Generally myself i've not watched that much in terms of Gundam, however i did watch the entirety of Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz, which, ok weren't the best that Gundam had to offer, but i certainly enjoyed them. I never actually finished Wing until after i finished the first season of FMP, so i did actually find it quite funny how similar both Sousuke and Hiro Yui were to one another, heck i even liked the fact that it was pointed out in Super Robot Taisen W as well, and they both seemed to get along as well. I'm at present trying to look for the series(and movie) cheap so i can watch it again, but money being the way it is with me, i'm not sure as to when i can pick it up.

On other series, i am actually watching Gundam 00 at the moment, only 18 episodes into the first season though. I thought it had a bit of a average start, never felt like anything special, never felt like it was bad either, but it gradually redeemed itself as it went along, and at the moment, can quite safely say i'm enjoying it. I'm aiming to watch a few episodes of it tonight, but it'll depend on how tired i am(having not slept yet, as per usual).

On that note, i do have a bit of interest in G Gundam, i know its the only "Super" mecha series of the lot, so it does make me wonder how different it is, so will ask on if its still worth a good watch.

In other gundam forums i've been on i recieved some flack for adimitting this but, i liked G Gundam, i thought the storyline and overall plot was quite good, and the later part of the series provided some good fights. Its just a shame that it suffered at the hands of the translators in america similar to Gundam Wing.

I've seen the Endless Waltz OVA around in places for £8 which isn't bad, although don't be fooled into thinking that the movie version is different as its not, its the same as the three ep OVA . The series itself i think you can probably pick up the R1 cheap if you can find them.

I love G Gundam. It's ridiculous and full of intentional cliches but it does it with such wholehearted love that I can't hate it. It also has some epic moments all of its own and the cheap R1 collections were well worth my money.

I haven't seen 00 yet so I'm really looking forward to that. I have Seed Destiny on the way too and although almost everyone complains about it I'm pumped.

R

I was, and still am, interested in making a start on the Gundam franchise but several things have put me off it.

The sheer size for a start. I didn't know whether it was worth starting at the beginning or jumping in a random series to see if I liked it.

The main thing though was when I tried to start watching Gundam Seed. The art put me off. The character designs especially were not my cup of tea. I ended up giving up after only a couple of episodes.

With Gundam 00 getting a release with Beez, i'm very tempted, though.

@Rui my favourite part of G Gundam was the battle royale towards the end where Domon faced against the Devil Gundam and had to kill his brother, and then the final fight against Master Asia that followed

@Maltos becaues of the alternate universe nature of Gudnam there's several points you can jump in at. 00 would be recommended but there's always Gundam Wing and Gundam X and of course the original series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh so G Gundam got a release state-side? i didn't actually know that, i may have to look into that then, i may go and preview an episode as well beforehand if i can find any just to at least give my views on what its like. If its anything to go by, i at least liked the units in Super Robot Taisen J =p So if i can go on that i may like the series.

As for Gundam 00, i was going to go for the US release, but with Beez got it planned, i may hold off, i think i'd rather it on the TV than my laptop in many respects.

@Maltos: my recommendation is go with one you like the looks off, you can start with any series really as the majority of them are in varying universes, but i can see what you mean with Seed, as much as i wanted to try and watch it, i didn't make it far before i forgot about it. I may try it again at some point soon though.

The original movie trilogy and War in the Pocket are, at present, the extent of my Gundam viewing. The movies had their moments but the compression of 43 television episodes into three two-hour films had an adverse affect on the character development and pacing. War in the Pocket, a complete and satisfying side story OVA told over six episodes, I enjoyed more.

I'll soon be adding Bandai's Anime Legends re-releases of 08th MS Team and 0083: Stardust Memories to that list, and I plan to watch Zeta Gundam sooner rather than later. I just need a quiet month where I can squeeze it into my budget. I'm not too interested in the newer incarnations; they give off a certain vibe that serves to warn me off.

I only want to watch Turn A Gundam (For over a year now) and Zeta. Watched 1/3 of 0079 and it was pretty good for an old show. Gundam SEED was a decent watch at the time but looking back at it I'd rather have those episodes but put into something more worthy of my time.

The character designs in Seed are definitely not to everyone's tastes (my husband kept yelling "it's Infinite Ryvius!" every time I watched it and he walked in). I really liked Seed though despite initially expecting it to be overhyped. It's not going to change many peoples' lives but if you go in without expecting too much it is an entertaining show and one I'll probably go back and rewatch from time to time.

It also made me cry occasionally, but I'm soppy like that.

I'm resetting my expectations again when I get to watch Destiny as I don't think I've found anyone who loves that outright and I don't want it to harm my memories of Seed. So long as it entertains and I don't overhype it before watching I should think I'll enjoy it for what it is.

There's a chance I just flat out like every Gundam show so take my views with that in mind ;)

I'm also a big long term fangirl of the voice actor who played Athrun and his presence always makes everything better.

R

I've watched through Destiny once, and went to re-watch it recently, but I just found Shinn to be too much of a douchebag the second time round :lol:

Other than that, I really enjoyed SEED and Wing. I plan to watch 00 when season 2 ends, and also have been on the lookout for the original Gundam Movies.

In that case then Rui you'll probably like the Gundam SEED Movie...when they finally get round to making/releaseing it. Me, i preffered SEEDs spin off media like the Astray series, i quite lliked SEED destiny astray with its spin on the protagonist. Destiny would of been better for me if Shinn had been able to develop more, and if he wasn't ousted from the main character limelight by someone else...I mean its not every day that we have a gundam series where the main character is given it by the military

I've only seen Gundam Wing, and that was ages ago when it was showing on TV and it took forever to watch them all because they kept starting it over again, I ended up watching the last few online.

I might watch one of the other ones though.. which one would you recommend? I had a look at seed a while back.. but wasn't sure about which one to start watching..

chaos said:
http://www.animeuknews.net/article/35/the-ultimate-guide-to-gundam

Anyone wants to give this article an update? Let me know.

I love how the first comment after all that is "yo anime is cool".. Just about sums it all up lol =P

JamesX said:
chaos said:
http://www.animeuknews.net/article/35/the-ultimate-guide-to-gundam

Anyone wants to give this article an update? Let me know.

I love how the first comment after all that is "yo anime is cool".. Just about sums it all up lol =P

lol yeah was a good article though...

Okay some news, there is another gundam series starting this year, and i'll make a post in the news section once i can get a few things checked out, so far in honour of its 30th anniversay gundam is returning to the Universal Century timeline. A scan of the characters has been posted on this gundam news site here http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/step-right-up-your-the-next-gundam-series-after-00/

Of course best news for me is that the guy who did the mech designs for GaoGaiGar is working on this :)

Back