The 3DS(updated Page 7)

ilmaestro said:
Honestly, I don't think you've been watching how well Nintendo's hardware sells these days. I could *maybe* see it coming down to £170 (presuming it streets at £190), but even then I would think a £190 bundle with a game or something would be more likely first. I would be shocked to see it hit £150 before 2012.

I assumed it starting a bit over £200 :p

I don't see why it would be more than £200, but let's say it starts at £220 then I would revise my figures to "maybe" hits £199.99 (more likely in this case, since taking that 2 off the start looks much nicer), and "would be shocked at" £170.

@Godot: The starting price equates roughly to £190 via the exchange right now, so unless something major goes wrong in the next half a year, it's going to stick to about that. Saying that, as i said a bit ago, Nintendo have a habit of giving us the consoles slightly cheaper, so you never know, we "may" get it at somewhere nearer 180, but who knows.

UPDATE: Thought i'd just continue this thread with the new news instead of opening yet another. But i went into GAME earlier today and put down my pre-order for the device and...the price looks to be a little nicer than expected.

I heard this outrageous idea that EU was taking pre-orders now(which they are), but the price was set at 299.93 which, thankfully, was bollocks. Asking about it today they told me that Nintendo had said the price would be around the £180-200 mark. Game prices not yet disclosed but we get them probably as of the 19th, at the Nintendo Amsterdam conference. They had a ton of games you could pre-order as well mind you, so it isn't all bad.

I'll update with games available on launch and prices on the 19th.

EDIT: Oh, you probably would guess but i'll add it anyways. Pre-orders need a £10 deposit

Also, let's reiterate that the machine is region locked. So if you're used to importing DS games, you might want to think hard about it.

ilmaestro said:
Also, let's reiterate that the machine is region locked. So if you're used to importing DS games, you might want to think hard about it.

I'm gonna be so annoyed if they look to release a new JUMP! Ultimate Stars now~!

ilmaestro said:
Don't remind me.
So do I get a JP (more games I'll like, but expensive) or a US (cheap, still more games than Europe) one.
Or the get a Euro one after it's hacked and pirate everything option. Assuming non-pirated games may kill a hacked one. Which I don't want to do, I want to buy my games damnit.

What's the difference between the price of the JP and US ones? I'm guessing the main difference will be how much higher the speculators cause the prices to rise before they even get to the importers. Either way, no way I don't buy a JP one.

JP games are going to be more regardless, even if the console itself is the same.

Price will be realy unstable to start with if it's anything like the current gen home consoles. Due to lack of suply, as with the wii and PS3.
I'm not going for one until there is more third party software is known about anyway.

Heh, PS3 prices weren't so much unstable... they were just damn high and got higher. ^^; Still imported one on day one, mind.

No way 4m units will be "enough" for a worldwide launch, I wouldn't have thought, but I will still be interested to see exactly how much more it will cost to import one day one.

But yes, it is a little worrying how high DS game prices have slipped in Japan, combined with the exchange rate I'd never actually stopped to look at just how much more expensive than US games they have become.

What's the current best guess for US game prices? $40, maybe $5-10 more for really high profile releases? Which would be cheaper than even the cheapest Japanese games, I guess, unless the exchange rate does something awesome in the next couple of years.

Ryo Chan said:
in other news, it looks like the psp 2 ISN'T going to be region locked

Sony 1 Nintendo 0

Probably won't be, but Sony will do their usual. They will attempt to prevent their games being imported. Tis typical of them, a lot of places won't sell PS2/3 or PSP games outside of certain regions, and they never say why.

Arbalest said:
Ryo Chan said:
in other news, it looks like the psp 2 ISN'T going to be region locked

Sony 1 Nintendo 0

Probably won't be, but Sony will do their usual. They will attempt to prevent their games being imported. Tis typical of them, a lot of places won't sell PS2/3 or PSP games outside of certain regions, and they never say why.
They sued for trademark infringement on a major importer of Japanese PSPs (Lik Sang). So no one will ship Sony products to Europe.
i.e. they've actualy enforced the only sell this here, no exports bit of distribution contracts.

They are region free to encorage exports though, to curb piracy by letting people buy the damn games, but then scared all the exporters.

Im sorry CM cant show 3D effect intelligibly because TV screen or PC screen not adapted to it.

Reaper gI said:
So no one will ship Sony products to Europe.
i.e. they've actualy enfore the only sell this here, no exports bit of distribution contracts.
"In theory"

/still imports pretty much all of his PSP games

ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
i.e. they've actualy enfore the only sell this here, no exports bit of distribution contracts.
"In theory"

They've done it ever, and bankrupted someone the size of Play Asia doing it.
That's much worse than every other company and is enough to have some companies stop.

Reaper gI said:
ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
"In theory"

They've done it ever
I don't know what that means, and I've heard and read several theories behind Lik-Sang's closure. Certainly there are two large retailers who I still use to import PSP games from Japan.

Hah, i'll give that a read later on.

Speaking of the 3DS. first day sales saw it get sell 400k units within the first day, some places in akiba all of their 2k units between midnight and 9:30am(or it didn't specify 9:30am/pm). Nintendo aimed for 1.5 million by the end of march, they're probably already a third of the way there, in 2 days. Tis madness

Back