teonzo's introduction

teonzo

Straw Hat Pirate
Hi, I'm from Italy and started watching anime in the late '70s (Go Nagai's classic mecha shows, Future Boy Conan and so on). I stopped watching series in 1999 or 2000, and re-started about 3 years ago, so I have a lot of missing stuff to recover from the last decade.

Teo

Welcome, Teo!

I'm sure many of us wish we'd had the sort of anime on TV in the UK that other European countries had all those years ago, would be very interested to hear more about what you got to watch when you were younger.

Thanks to all for your welcome!

ilmaestro said:
I'm sure many of us wish we'd had the sort of anime on TV in the UK that other European countries had all those years ago, would be very interested to hear more about what you got to watch when you were younger.

I think Italy was the Western country that broadcasted more anime in the period around 1978 to 1985. There were a good amount of shows on the national TV channels (RAI), and a lot on the private channels (both national and regional). The first I recall watching was Chiisana Viking Vickie, then started the "invasion" of mechas and romances. At the time buying the rights to broadcast anime series was really cheap, because the Japanese did not think Western people could appreciate them, so Italian televisions took advantage and bought a lot of series, since they got a good success with children. This lead to many problems due to the usual Italian way of thinking. Most of the adaptation was total crap (4-5 people dubbing all the characters, names changed, dialogues totally different from the original, a lot of censorship). Some private TVs even broadcasted some series without buying the rights. For example Gundam 0079 was broadcasted in 1980 without paying the rights and butchering it (for example, Amuro Ray was called Peter Ray). When Sunrise discovered what happened, they ostracized Italy for about 20 years (no more Gundam until few years ago). Facts like this one, added to the Japanese studios understanding they could charge much more money, ended to a "crisis" after 1985, much less anime were bought. But the three national TVs owned by Berlusconi went on broadcasting series, the problem is that the managing staff was quite dumb and thought that a lot of scenes were not good for Italia children (too extreme, too different about culture), so they cut an insanely amount of scenes. For example if you watched Kimagure Orange Road then it was almost impossible to understand what was going on, too much scenes missing. In the '90s there were much less series in number, but there were many huge hits, like Fist Of The North Star (this was really BIG here, I think it has been broadcasted more than 20 times), Saint Seiya, Dragonball, City Hunter, Evangelion... Don't know what happened in the 2000's since I stopped watching anime.
During the first "anime invasion" mechas were a great hit here, all of us kids adored shows like Koutetsu Jeeg, UFO Robo Grendizer and God Mazinger (these three were the biggest hits), but there were a lot of mecha series (Daitarn III, Space Warrior Baldios, Mirai Robo Daltanius, Getter Robo, Daikuu Maryuu Gaiking... really a lot, I think we got the vast majority of mechas from that period).
Romance series had really good success, like Lady Georgie, Nobody's Boy Remi, Candy Candy, Alps no Shoujo Heidi, Akage no Anne, Rose of Versailles...
Other big hits were Future Boy Conan, Lupin III, Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Urusei Yatsura, Cat's Eyes. But really we were flooded by anime in those years. I recall that in 1990 some friends and I tried to write down all the anime we watched, and we collected more than 250 titles.
The fact that anime got such a big success in the '80s means that a lot of people that were children at that time (like me) are now nostalgic and want to see again those series, so there are some publishers that released almost all those series on DVD. Prices are more expensive than UK or US, but at least we can find almost all those series. For example I know that the English version of Cat's Eyes is really difficult and expensive to find, here it's still in print and at standard price. On the contrary, we have really few choices regarding DVDs of anime series from the '90s or 2000's, that's why I'm following some foreign forums like this one, and started buying UK and US releases (much cheaper, and much bigger choice).

devilrules666 said:
What other stuff are you into?

My favourite series from the '80s are Future Boy Conan and Lupin III (first series, green jacket). Some time ago a lot friends of mine almost forced me to watch Death Note, I loved it and started to watch anime again. Other series I watched in the last couple of years and really liked are: Code Geass, Lain, Mushishi, GTO, Haibane Renmei, all the UC Gundam, Higashi no Eden, Noein... I also loved many movies: Satoshi Kon's (especially Millennium Actress), most of Ghibli, Jin Roh, Sword Of The Stranger... But there are a boatload of shows I still have to catch up watching.
Now I'm watching Evangelion. I'm sure I watched it in the '90s, but I almost forgot everything, so it's just like watching it for the first time.

Teo

That was really interesting to read! I have family in Italy so I was lucky enough to enjoy some of the period where anime was very popular there. However, my Italian is really bad, so I didn't get as much out of it as a native speaker would.

One thing I noticed on my last trip back last month was that it seemed manga comics too had become a lot less popular in Italy. Before it was really easy to pick up various manga series at railway stations and tabacchi but I barely saw any at all this year; is it true or did I just run into a lot of really bad magazine stands? I was a little disappointed overall, after my fond memories of how popular anime/manga was over there when I was younger.

R

I must say I'm pretty ignorant about manga, I never bought one and I think I read 3 or 4 in my life. Quite weird, I know.

I heard there has been a sensible drop in manga releases, both about numbers and quality (many people complain about adaptations and printings). Now you can find less manga in generic stores (where you can buy newspapers and magazines), there are just only the popular ones (Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh...). But if people wanted to buy manga, anime and so on the best places to go were the specialized stores (fumetterie), where you could find Italian comics (Dylan Dog, Tex), Japanese stuff (anime, manga, figures), US stuff (Marvel, DC), sci-fi stuff. Most of these stores closed in the last years, due to a sensible decrease of sales, something similar to what happened to CD stores. Less people buy original releases, and most of people who buy them prefer e-commerce to brick-and-mortar.
Here you can find a list of fumetterie located in Italy:
http://www.iafol.org/editori/fumetterie_ae.html#a
but I don't know how much updated this is.

Teo

Thanks for the response, I did see a lot more of the Italian comics. It makes sense if people are switching over to digital releases; shame though!

R

Great posts to read, Teo, thanks for sharing. :)

"I recall that in 1990 some friends and I tried to write down all the anime we watched, and we collected more than 250 titles."

is just incredible to think about.

Hopefully you will find some shows from the newer era that you can also enjoy like the classics, good to have you on the forum!

Ian Wolf said:
I'm not sure if I should be asking this, but as an Italian do you have an opinion on Hetalia?

Feel free to ask what you want, I'm happy to answer if I can, and it's quite difficult to offend me (if this is the reason why you were not sure).
But I can't answer to this question, since I haven't seen this anime. I just read the summary on MAL, which says "For example, the Italia Veneziano character is into pasta and women". It's a bit generic way to make fun on Italian people, but quite effective since it's true for the majority. If this series is full of gags on fascism and nazism then I'll put it in the buy-list, both because I'm against those ideologies and because I like those kind of shows (I loved "Life is beautiful" by Benigni).

ilmaestro said:
Great posts to read, Teo, thanks for sharing. :)

"I recall that in 1990 some friends and I tried to write down all the anime we watched, and we collected more than 250 titles."

is just incredible to think about.

Yes, it was quite incredible even for us at that time, I think I still have that paper sheet somewhere. We really were flooded by anime, and a good amount of them were total crap. A series like Ougon Batto was the apex of trash, one of the times when you say "it's so awful and trash that it becomes nice", heheheh. And many mecha shows were trash too, like Trider G7 (never liked this).

ilmaestro said:
Hopefully you will find some shows from the newer era that you can also enjoy like the classics, good to have you on the forum!

Well, I haven't seen a lot of series from the 2000's (about 20), but I must say I tend to prefer these ones to the old series. The series from my childhood recall many fond memories for obvious reasons, but a lot of them did not stand the test of time. When I was a child I really loved Captain Harlock, he was my hero and I dressed like him in a couple of carnivals. I had the chance to rewatch the series some years ago on TV, and it left me really "meh?". Something similar happened with Grendizer, that robot was another hero of mine, but rewatching it it lost all its charm. On the contrary some series really stood the test of time, like Future Boy Conan (if you like "Nausicaa" and "Castle in the sky" and missed this show, try to get it, it's a damn masterpiece), Lupin III, or some mechas like Daitarn 3 (another overlooked show outside of Italy, it was quite adult and with many funny moments, the creator is Tomino of Gundam).
The "problem" with those old anime is that they were aimed mainly to children, most of them lacked about well thought plots. The most adult series I think was Gundam 0079, and of course it did not get any success here, because it's not for children, and adults did not watch cartoons. Since now I tend to prefer shows with a well thought plot, then I find the better series are from the last years. In the 80's there were no anime like Lain, Basilisk, Code Geass, Noein and so on, because children could not appreciate that kind of shows, and adults started to think it was not a shame to watch anime when those children that watched anime became adults themselves. Uhm, Akira and Grave of the Fireflies were from the 80's, but Akira became famous in Italy in the '90s, while Fireflies is still overlooked to this date.
So, at this moment, I have to say it's easier for me to like a series from the 2000's than a series from the 80's. This does not mean that I'm dismissing all the series from my childhood. A good number of them are still enjoyable (or even more) to this day, especially the ones on the funny side. Urusei Yatsura is still a great series (funny enough, they censored a good 20% of scenes from Orange Road, and nothing from Urusei Yatsura), especially the first 40-50 episodes. Dr Slump is another series that is so insane to be great fun, it's another overlooked gem outside Italy, the creator is the same of Dragonball, the first episodes of Dragonball recall the Dr Slump series in many ways (so much that Goku stopped in the Dr Slump village in an episode). Another funny series was Dash Kappei. I'm sure I'm missing some other valuable names.
But about anime with adult plots, the 80's quite suck if compared to the 2000's (and I'm saying this while I still haven't seen shows like Baccano and Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig, so I think I still miss the vast majority of valuable adult shows from the 2000's). This is why I started to watch anime again.

We in Italy are lucky to have been able to watch those series at that time, and to be able to buy them on DVD nowadays, I'm pretty sure we have the biggest choice of 80's anime DVDs outside Japan. As far as I know series like Future Boy Conan, Daitarn 3, Dr Slump, Dash Kappei have never been released on English DVDs, but if you have a chance to watch them (subbed or whatever), then I suggest to do so.

Teo

teonzo said:
Ian Wolf said:
I'm not sure if I should be asking this, but as an Italian do you have an opinion on Hetalia?

Feel free to ask what you want, I'm happy to answer if I can, and it's quite difficult to offend me (if this is the reason why you were not sure).
But I can't answer to this question, since I haven't seen this anime. I just read the summary on MAL, which says "For example, the Italia Veneziano character is into pasta and women". It's a bit generic way to make fun on Italian people, but quite effective since it's true for the majority. If this series is full of gags on fascism and nazism then I'll put it in the buy-list, both because I'm against those ideologies and because I like those kind of shows (I loved "Life is beautiful" by Benigni).

I won't say that it is full of gags on fascism and nazism (it's not exactly 100% historically accurate). Hitler is only mentioned in passing and it avoids any of the more violent aspects of the war. It is primarily about jokes just about the countries. However, in terms of offence I would argue that at least Japan mocks itself and it covers more countries than most comedies. For example, in Britain we might make jokes about Poland or generalise about Eastern Europe. In Hetalia there are different gags about lots of different Eastern European countries (e.g. Lithuania does all the work, Belarus is psychotically in love with Russia, etc.)

Back