Summer 2012

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Haven't quite watched ep 1 of everything yet, never mind properly caught up, but the GDLK ep 1s so far were:

Tari Tari
Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita
Uta Koi
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Joshiraku
Sword Art Online
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon s.2

Y-San

Shinki
I hope you get round to watching Kokoro Connect at some point Maes, that was probably my favourite of the season thus far.

Joshikaru - Not best impressed with this show, though I've only had the chance to watch one episode so far and it wasn't really that funny. Also, it's being handled by J.C. Staff.

Sword Art Online : I can imagine this appealing to the same kind of people who get a kick out of watching Bleach or Naruto. Though in honesty, reading through the chapter summary for the first novel, it seems to be a pretty solid series, only perhaps a little badly handled in the adaption?

I noticed that the last few episodes have been based off the short stories that were written after the first (more interesting) novel. And though I can see what someones intention might have been, in animating the story chronologically, it really does give the feeling of being "extra content" than the actual meat of the story which these are supposed to build upon. And as a result, it seems somewhat lacking. Perhaps because I'm yet to really sympathise with Kirito's plight but I don't see it happening any time soon because of ANGST.

The girl in episode four was adowaable though, saving the series for another week.

KoiChoco: I can't help but wonder, since when did a student council need that much fancy equipment or high tech gizmos. Good enough to validate my purchase of certain goods, not good enough to keep watching though. Not that it was "that" bad or offensive but I wasn't really interested.

Humanity has declined : At first I was going to drop this because I couldn't be bothered with "Humanity is slowly dying out and its all their fault." but then it kinda put the whole "Humanity" thing on the back burner and started dicking around in a good way. Humans are dying out but it can't be helped, so lets go make friends with fairies.

I think what I'm trying to say here was that it was amusing in spite of the setting.

Yuru Yuri season 2 : More of the same. I rather liked the first episode, reminded me of some of the funnier episodes of Gintama. None of the episodes yet have reaches that peak again but they have been consistently good. Which leads me to wonder, when is this going to get licensed?

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Nothing much to say really. It was pretty interesting but when it comes to stories like this, where the focus is on what is said between characters, I'd rather read the manga. Not quite anime of the season but not bad.

Tari Tari : Too much melodrama at the start making the characters hard to related to. Compare with Koroko connect which has a similar opening episode, where the main cast of characters are introduced in the first episode. Also reminds me of Hanasaku Iroha in a bad way, where you;d have a good few episodes and then some very boring episodes which when mixed with a unhealthy dose of melodrama made a good recipe for dropping it harder than K-ON!

It does get better part way through and though I know the basic plot is "A girl who sets up her own music club so she can sing." I'm still not really sure what I'm watching half the time, since it feels kinda dislocated. Like a lot of the scenes are just unnecessary fluff.

tl;dr - I didn't like it for much the same reasons I stopped liking Hanasaku Iroha.

Kokoro Connect : I liked it because it wasn't Tari Tari. Also the body swapping creates some rather interesting situations.

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Lawrence said:
I hope you get round to watching Kokoro Connect at some point Maes, that was probably my favourite of the season thus far.
It's virtually next on my list, I may even watch it tonight.

Joshikaru - Not best impressed with this show, though I've only had the chance to watch one episode so far and it wasn't really that funny. Also, it's being handled by J.C. Staff.
Well, I don't think the humor is going to change at all, so if you didn't appreciate it in ep 1 I don't think it's going to win you (or a lot of other people) over any time soon. The JC Staff comments are getting increasingly dull, btw, has this become a meme of sorts?

Sword Art Online

I noticed that the last few episodes have been based off the short stories that were written after the first (more interesting) novel. And though I can see what someones intention might have been, in animating the story chronologically, it really does give the feeling of being "extra content" than the actual meat of the story which these are supposed to build upon.
Yeah, I guess it is difficult to choose what to do when adapting a series that, by design, isn't written chronologically. I am assuming for the moment that they think they have enough episodes to play with to take this approach early and not use up what a lot of people think is the best content in the first half of the show.

Y-San

Shinki
ilmaestro said:
It's virtually next on my list, I may even watch it tonight.

:thumb:

ilmaestro said:
Well, I don't think the humor is going to change at all, so if you didn't appreciate it in ep 1 I don't think it's going to win you (or a lot of other people) over any time soon. The JC Staff comments are getting increasingly dull, btw, has this become a meme of sorts?

I don't know, personally I'm just voicing the general displeasure I tend to feel when I actually try to watch some of their more recent works. Much to the point, I almost feel guilty on the odd occasion I do find something good because I fear they'll just cock it up again shortly after.

You might be right about the humour not changing but personally, I think it takes a few episodes to really decide. Since I feel there have been "comedy" series in the past that have got better with future episodes.

ilmaestro said:
Yeah, I guess it is difficult to choose what to do when adapting a series that, by design, isn't written chronologically. I am assuming for the moment that they think they have enough episodes to play with to take this approach early and not use up what a lot of people think is the best content in the first half of the show.

I can kinda see what you mean. I was a little hung up that they decided not to animate it so match the order it was written but I guess it makes sense to keep the best stuff till later. (Though you might lose viewers along the way, I know the last few episodes haven't gone down particularly well, hell, even I though that episode 3 felt like it was rushing a bit.

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
On sort of the flip side to my theory, I also wonder if they have been told that their will just be one (two cour) series for SAO, which would change the approach somewhat compared to a show like Accel World (presuming that AW might have more than one series).

--

Kokoro Connect - as good as Lawro promised! It's almost cheating getting Sawashiro Miyuki for a cool role like Himeko, but aside from that I liked how they didn't just play the body-swapping entirely for laughs. The sudden switch to a first-person view was pretty good at conveying a sense of confusion and unease.

Campione! - Knowing only the title and the Italian setting, I thought this might be another soccer series... I was not correct. ^^; Wasn't great, but wasn't bad enough to drop at this stage.

Oda Nobuna - Interesting, very interesting. There is more of a focus on the characters and the history than the fact that they are portraying those characters as young girls, and the stories of the Sengoku Jidai are comfortably engaging enough to carry the show on those terms (even if you have to ignore some of the fudging of details).