Stuff happened at Ayacon!

As I can't stand Trigun, I'll focus on the rest. Andrew is really becoming the face of anime in the UK these days (even if he claims that the Manga UK Andrew isn't actually him)!

Always sad to hear again how old Beez stuff is essentially completely out of print (though I have everything I want personally).

Re: Tiger & Bunny, Kuragehime and Samurai Girls, I will buy all of these on DVD in the UK but not on blu-ray, as I want to have them all but am boycotting region B locked discs. I have held off the R1 of Samurai Girls and T&B I will double dip for just because I can. If Kaze can somehow get region free blu-rays going against all of Manga UK's claims, I will pick up the blu versions in a heartbeat. For Kuragehime in particular though I cannot imagine a blu-ray version here makes any sense at all for recouping potential costs.

Poor Nabari No Ou, though I think that releasing stuff so long after the US with no added value whatsoever is probably not a great idea, especially when its market in the US mostly seemed to be crazy fangirls. I preordered the first US release myself so already had it before Manga announced it ^^;

R

Less than 100 copies? Nabari no Uh Ou! Sorry.

Where do those figures come from though? According to the article Manga had no presence there and I don't remember them lamenting the sales on Twatter. Also, that article makes no distinction between the DVD and Blu-ray sales for Xam'd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of things flop which Jerome doesn't necessarily scream about - Sengoku Basara isn't getting a season 2 release here at all according to Manga following sales of season 1, only nobody seems to care :D

Perhaps they had high expectations for Nabari no Ou since it's about ninja and Naruto is also about ninja, but I don't know that it even did that well in the US.

R

Andrew was representing Manga (since in his job at Kaze he works with Manga as a distributor) and he was presumably briefed.

BTW Paradox, did you forget about Mardock Scramble or are you just not interested?

Oh, and I've heard about the dire performance of Red Garden before. I was certainly never interested in it.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Trigun is good enough for me! But I still had never heard of Kaze until Andrew said he was moving to them. What have they released over here?

Kaze are the ones who pass Manga UK some of their actually interesting licenses. You'll see their logo on things like Professor Layton.

R

Kaze merged with Viz Media Europe a couple of years ago, they are huge in France and (e.g. they were releasing Kara no Kyoukai on DVD long before the US got their imported BDs and kept on streaming Fractale in HD - 1080p even - while the US streams were taken down). IIRC their first release here as Kaze (rather than VME) was Professor Layton - they don't release directly but distribute via Manga so they are less visible. Currently all the titles streaming on AoD are Kaze licenses.
Also taken under the Kaze wing was Germany company Anime Virtual and again, they had Kara no Kyoukai up for streaming/DTO on the German version of AoD before it went up on PSN in the US.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Less than 100 copies? Nabari no Uh Ou! Sorry.

Where do those figures come from though? According to the article Manga had no presence there and I don't remember them lamenting the sales on Twatter. Also, that article makes no distinction between the DVD and Blu-ray sales for Xam'd.

Manga mentioned it on their twitter a few weeks ago when they announced that they were dropping the second volume blu ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like that "if" floating around Tiger and Bunny's Blu Ray status. It's a dirty if and it needs cleaned now.

Thing is, I'd go for what Andrew is saying, get the damn thing out in DVD and then boxset the whole thing for Blu Ray. If anything it gets around the "Will they, won't they" of the whole mess. I'm sure if you could get the whole deal for the price of three blu ray volumes (what, £60?) then a lot of people would go for it.

But would 1500+ people go for it at full price (assuming a DVD version is available too)? Not saying they wouldn't, just curious :)

I wouldn't because I don't like being in region B, of course, but it would be interesting to see how many people would. It would be interesting if things worked very differently and people could preorder before the company commits so they could see the strength of the market.

R

Beez/Kaze should seriously think about doing BD/DVD double packs, à la Funimation. It'll push the price of their releases up but they cater more to the hardcore fan than Manga do anyway (with the exception of their Anime Legends line of course).

butch-cassidy said:
Manga mentioned it on their twitter a few weeks ago when they announced that they were dropping the second volume blu ray.
Yeah, I know about Xam'd. I was talking about Nabari. Sorry for not being very clear.

Shiroi Hane said:
Andrew was representing Manga (since in his job at Kaze he works with Manga as a distributor) and he was presumably briefed.
Ah, okay. That makes sense.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Beez/Kaze should seriously think about doing BD/DVD double packs, à la Funimation. It'll push the price of their releases up but they cater more to the hardcore fan than Manga do anyway (with the exception of their Anime Legends line of course).
Yes, a million times yes. Despite Beez now following the exact releasing method I recommended in the Beez thread a couple of years ago ::cough:: the advent of Blu-ray has meant I've found it hard to support releases like Geass and Gundam 00. They're big shows and already have a BD release in Japan, so I would really rather have them on BD rather than DVD (I did buy Durarara and Gurren Lagann on DVD though, so I'm not the walking downfall of the UK anime industry).

If you must do double-packs, just make sure you put them in BD sized cases and we'll be good to go.

ayase said:
If you must do double-packs, just make sure you put them in BD sized cases and we'll be good to go.

Allegedly this causes problems in retail with the anime being stored in the A-Z blu-ray jumble instead of in the proper section, so nobody can find it without leafing through millions of horrible Hollywood movies. For some reason it's unthinkable for shopkeepers to mix the sizes of their items up and cause customer confusion, so the US uses DVD cases to masquerade as a normal DVD release.

Having said that, I haven't seen a Beez release in a physical shop in ages (though this is Kaze and likely to be Manga).

I personally don't care as I love anime, rather than cases, and my shelves take both.

R

ayase said:
Well, I HAVE ENOUGH LOVE FOR BOTH Rui!

::turns dramatically from camera, tears in eyes::

Hahaha :)

I think NISA's excessively long boxes finally broke my spirit when it came to caring what my shelves look like. They don't even have the title on the spine for when I stuff them on top of rows of cases ;_;

Are they aimed at people with DVD shelves several feet deep? I always wonder.

R

Rui said:
so nobody can find it without leafing through millions of horrible Hollywood movies.
2edDC.jpg

ConanThe3rd said:
I don't like that "if" floating around Tiger and Bunny's Blu Ray status. It's a dirty if and it needs cleaned now.

Thing is, I'd go for what Andrew is saying, get the damn thing out in DVD and then boxset the whole thing for Blu Ray. If anything it gets around the "Will they, won't they" of the whole mess. I'm sure if you could get the whole deal for the price of three blu ray volumes (what, £60?) then a lot of people would go for it.
Indeed...Tiger & Bunny is one show I would seriously buy on blu-ray. If I was told that a BD boxset would follow DVD singles, I'd hold out for the BD.

lol that news is mostly terrible for us. The if it's licensed for the USA and not by FUNi we don't get it is not a good thing at all. Esp with more big titles going to Aniplex USA, NISA and Sentai.

Nor is not reprinting all that lost Beez stock, as some of theirs is hard to come by as it is.

BD here looks dead, unless they start printing for multiple countries they can't make the minimums with the market as hurt as it is.

Much as with games in the early 2000's parallel import will hurt you significantly. That was resolved through near simultaneous relases or competing on product value, raising quality (more extras) not lowering price. It seems you can't do either easily(or don't want to risk it) death of highstreet shops can't help either. The bigger online shops list US imports alongside your products after all.

Back