Studio Khara’s Japan Animator Expo & The Dragon Dentist heads to Blu-ray in Japan

N

NormanicGrav

The series of short anime works are finally heading to home video on Blu-ray.

Studio Khara and Dwango have announced plans to bring their latest anime short – The Dragon Dentist – to home video on Blu-ray starting 24th January 2018 in both standard and special edition sets. The special edition set will offer all versions of The Dragon Dentist anime as well as a majority of the anime shorts introduced through the Japan Animator Expo series!

Released through online distribution on their main website, the Japan Animator Expo (Nihon Animator Mihonichi) consists of 36 different anime shorts from various directors and animators. The themes range from music videos, to original works, to even an existing IP. In addition they were all offered English subtitles to allow international audiences to watch them as soon as they appear. The shorts were only available for a limited time, but a couple went viral throughout the internet – most notably the third anime short; “ME!ME!ME!” from Teddyloid and daoko.

The Dragon Dentist was remade from its original anime short to two full-length anime episodes earlier in 2017, and as mentioned all versions are included with this release. There are currently no news on whether this release will offer English support so bare that in mind. Distributors Anime Limited and Sentai Filmworks have acquired the rights for the two full-length episode version of The Dragon Dentist, with the series available to stream on Crunchyroll for the UK, Ireland, Iceland, Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

In addition to the Japan Animator Expo shorts, The Dragon Dentist special edition will also include a Soundtrack CD featuring 28 tracks full of theme songs, inserted and also unused songs. The Japanese SRP for the special edition will be 20,000 Yen with the regular edition going for 5,800 Yen. The regular edition will only feature The Dragon Dentist short anime and not the rest of the Japan Animator Expo shorts.

The two editions are available for pre-order over on Amazon Japan – Regular / Special.

The following shorts from the Japan Animator Expo will be included with the Japanese Special Edition Blu-ray release:

• #01 | The Dragon Dentist
  • #02 | HILL CLIMB GIRL
  • #03 | ME!ME!ME!
  • #04 | Carnage
  • #06 | 20min Walk From Nishi-Ogikubo Station, 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, 2mos Deposit, No Pets Allowed.
  • #07 | until You come to me.
  • #08 | Tomorrow From There.
  • #09 | Electronic Superhuman Gridman: boys invent great hero
  • #11 | POWER PLANT No.33
  • #12 | Evangelion:Another Impact
  • #13 | Kanón
  • #14 | Sex&VIOLENCE with MACHSPEED
  • #15 | Obake-chan
  • #16 | Tokio of the Moon’s Shadow
  • #17 | Three Fallen Witnesses
  • #18 | The Diary of Ochibi
  • #19 | I can Friday by day!
  • #20A | ME!ME!ME! CHRONIC feat.daoko/Teddyloid
  • #20B | (Making of)evangelion: Another Impact
  • #21 | Iconic Field
  • #22 | On a Gloomy Night
  • #23 | Memoirs of Amorous Gentlemen
  • #24 | Rapid Rouge
  • #25 | Hammerhead
  • #26 | “COMEDY SKIT 1989” Conte (Hitman) 1989
  • #27 | Bubu & Bubulina
  • #28 | ENDLESS NIGHT
  • #29 | BUREAU OF PROTO SOCIETY
  • #30 | The Ultraman
  • #31 | GIRL
  • #32 | Neon Genesis IMPACTS
  • #33 | “Ragnarok” Hello from the Countries of the World
  • #34 | Robot on the Road
  • #35 | Cassette Girl

The following shorts that are not included are #05 | Yoshikazu Yasuhiko & Ichiro Itano: Collection of Key Animation Films from Mobile Suit Gundam and #10 | Yamadeloid. The bonus short (unofficially #36) Mobile Police Patlabor Reboot was released as a standalone title and thus won’t be included with this release.

The Animator Expo soundtrack is available to own, especially ME!ME!ME! which can you also listen through Spotify!

Source: Animator Expo

Continue reading...

Seeing as all of the shorts were English subbed, including the BD and DVD versions of "Patlabor Reboot", it seems likely they'll include English subs, I hope...

Nice, really hope these will contain English subs. I remember watching them when they aired and, while a bit hit or miss in terms of enjoyment, I did look forward to them every week.

Though I must say, it feels a bit weird that they are "bundled" with The Dragon Dentist. A standalone release of the shorts would've made more sense IMO.

Ahh, wondered whether it might be something like that. Thanks, Grav. :)

I'm a big fan of the Animator Expo series (and of the medium of anime shorts in general), so I'd absolutely love if these could be included with AL's UK release of Dragon Dentist.

*crosses fingers again*

Back