Still Shiny by the Final Episode? Spring Overview 2021 Part 1: New Series

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
Spring Season 2021 is over! Some new shows were great, others not so much - but it's the titles that really resonated with our writers that they're here to tell you about today!

Continue reading...

Been a bit mixed for me. Loads of shows started off great, but declined including Higehiro, Jouran and Snow White Notes, all got 6. Some of the hyped shows, either from said good opening or from fans of the original source, didn't live up to it for me (Vivy got 7, 86 got 6, and I dropped To Your Eternity). Even a show that I liked wasn't as great as some people seem to think in the final season of Fruits Basket which I gave an 8 (a point less than MAL). The only one that was making noise before the season that I thought was great was Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro (9), although that noise was for different reasons.

As usual it's the lesser hyped stuff that I enjoyed most. Despite a solid first season Megalo Box: NOMAD (9) wasn't talked about much and by far exceeded season 1 and another original show ODD TAXI also got 9. Shadows House got an 8, as did the chilled show Super Cub.

A couple of second seasons both got 8 in Moriarty the Patriot and Zombieland Saga: Revenge. And I also gave an 8 to Combatants Will Be Dispatched, which I found to be quite funny. The only show I feel deserves a bit more on MAL is Farewell, My Dear Cramer which I gave a 7, a point more than MAL, but this is overlooking a few problems because I liked the cast and the football knowledge displayed by the writer.

That's not all, but the others aren't worth mentioning, apart from the continuing Tokyo Revengers which has been a very good take on a Back to the Future type of time travel, involving Japanese teen gangs.

EDIT: Just realised this was new shows only!

Last edited:
I really should catch up on some seasonals since I've only watched three series this season lol. At least I got a lot of enjoyment out of Super Cub, Slime 300 and Godzilla: Singular Point. While it's very much a big advertisement for Honda, Super Cub is still a nice atmospheric slice of life that I'd recommend to fans of Laid-Back Camp (heck it's even set in the same area). Slime 300 was a great comedy isekai with a fun ensemble of characters. Godzilla: Singular Point may get complicated with its heavy focus on quantum physics but it's still got great monster fights and intriguing mystery.

Got about 8 series I'm still interested in for this season so I'll work through them eventually. It's tough when I'm trying to prioritize my physical and HIDIVE backlogs at the moment lol. Yet another issue with the overproduction crisis I guess

Back