Steamboy UK DVD postponed

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to DVD Times, Sony has now postponed the UK DVD release of Katsuhiro Otomo's (creator of AKIRA) Steamboy until further notice. Steamboy had been originally set for a UK release in July but was recently pushed back until January 2006.

The DVD itself had been a point of controversy after it became apparent that at least the standard DVD edition of Steamboy was going to be an English dub-only release. A "Director's cut" special edition had also been in the pipeline, but at the time of writing only the English language versions of both the Director's Cut and standard edition have been submitted to the BBFC for certification.

The Steamboy saga lurches from one crisis to another and I only hope that if Sony ever decide to release this over here, they'll give it the treatment it deserves.

I think Sony are just gay lol, is Steamboy their only anime title that they have the rights to in the UK? Also, this is what Sony do with everything in our country, like with the PSP, they put the release back to September, from April, and from earlier that year. When it was out in other countries at the start of the year. Sony really need to get their act together! :evil:

looks like i'll have to check my play.com account and seeif the Director's Cut ed has been cancelled...bugger.

it's one DVD release, and a high-profile one at that. surely they might have made an effort to get it right??

Im still hoping that Sony will get it right. After all they released there last 4 titles OK (well aside from no dub on 2 of em :( )

okay then, here's the burning question: who's going to patiently wait for the R2 and who's going to see if there is a better version that's out earlier on import?

Concrete badger said:
okay then, here's the burning question: who's going to patiently wait for the R2 and who's going to see if there is a better version that's out earlier on import?

Impatience is a virtue, I'll be importing Madman's Australian LE. ;)

I watched by region 2 + 4 2 disc set last night which was fantastic. Although coming from Manchester, UK I had a few issues with it; there were never /that/ many factories ;)

I think I'll just have to fall into tempation and get a better release than the R2. I'm sure Sony will get it right, but it may take a long time...

I don't like the words 'until further notice', i think they are just trying to cover their backs. I really don't know what Sony are playing at, i can only say that it seems completely stupid, do they have any reason for it.

Well if i'm going to get it i will have to wait for the R2 release, unless i hurry up and get an R1 player

Back