Spike VGAs

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
Thought I'd just make a spot to discuss some of the trailers released during the vgas, namely Metal Gear Rising: Revengance (Formerly MGS Rising).

What do you guys think? It looks pretty good to me, though the hard rock trailer was a bit much. It was trying too hard to be badass, when the more minimalist 2010 trailer worked better. Still it looks promising, but it's supposed to take place post-mgs4 now, which is a little unusual considering that Raiden more or less stopped being a cyborg at the end of 4... I hope stuff like that is explained.

The last of us also look pretty cool, though I don't have a ps3, but I'm disappointed that it's basically another zombie survival story. Admittedly it's more "I am Legend" than "Dawn of the Dead" but it's still a tired premise. If they can make the gameplay more interesting than standard Dead Island style fair then fair enough, but as it stands I'm now less interested than I was having seen the teaser images.

Amazing Spider-man looks exactly like every other free-roam Spidey game. Oh look, robots. That's never been done before *eyeroll* but Fall of Cybertron looks pretty awesome. Another neat cinematic trailer like the one for War for Cybertron, teasing the apearance of a combiner (some say it's Bruticus, but I don't know them well enough to judge) and Grimlock.

Didn't watch but the Twitter live feed was some funny ****. P* working on the first good MGS game? Excellent. The rest I don't care for, Mass Effect 3 further shown itself to become Gears of War with RPG elements. I'd be hyped for the Naughty Dog game but the market is starting to get a little stale with all these zombie games around, it's so dull.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last of Us looks interesting, C&C Generals 2 \o/, ME3 spiderman and Transformers have got my attentin and as lupus said

ZOMG a MGS game i may actually like, shame it's not zoe 3 though

When you look past the awards which where...a little better? There wasn't really anything worth watching it for almost. I sat through the whole thing for the trailers, so they fired off Hitman: Absolution as their intro one which was a mistake. It was rather short, revealed very little and gave no sign of a release date. Lackluster at best. Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD will interest many, just not me. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was on the cards for months, so seeing that get it's home console reveal was expected.
The first interesting trailer was actually The Last of Us by Naughty Dog. Now that actually did bring something to think about to the table. Sure it looks like it's a new zombie game, but based in a "I am Legend" kind of world with Left 4 Dead/Dawn of the Dead like zombies? yeah, could work well.
Bioware announced Command & Conquer Generals 2 which again, i expected. After reading more into the details for it, it's PC exclusive, specs are ALREADY out despite it not being released for another year and a bit, and there i some discussion about biowares intent with the game. It could work well.
Mass Effect 3 was shown with one new wee sequence. Bolstered hype for some, shown off very little to others. I kinda hoped for a bit more with it, but i can live with what i got for now.
Alan Wake looks interesting, but considering i have yet to play the first, i can't really comment on it.
Rainbow 6 Patriots was just...so generic in it's trailer. "Government no longer rules, business guys run it" and then yeah. Typical setting for a game like that. The Amazing Spiderman was at least more interesting to view, but i almost feel like the robots where a bit...overkill.
Out of the last 4 trailers, Diablo 3 opening cinematic was jaw-droppingly gorgeous, epics new IP being a fort based game where you scavenge for scraps to build a defence against zombies/aliens looks nice, Transformers was a nice looking trailer and....Bioshock Infinites trailer looked more like a launch trailer than anything else.

The awards where the awards, Bastion won 3, which is fantastic, Minecraft won best indie - expected. Every other win was expected, MW3 won best shooter, which was so scripted it made my head hurt, and Skyrim won GotY.

Oh, and i'd mention MGS Rising, but it was kinda leaked ;p Looks nice though, Specially done by P* games

I'm looking forward to the Last of us because though there have been zombie/apocalypse games before, there's not ben a decent one for the PS3 just yet. In fact that 90 second teaser has done more for me than all the Mass Effect 3 footage in the world.

Not looking forward to 'revengeance' which is a stupid subtitle. The game itself looks like a run of the mill slash thing, knowing it's set after MGS4 and not bridging the gap between 2 and 4 is all the more reason for me to skip on it. But then I didn't like MGS4 and these days, enjoy 3 as a stand alone title.

Naughty Dog are the most over hyped dev out there imo, so I shall take a very "wait and see" approach on this one, but no doubt the trailer was hot.

Also, can everyone stop calling Rising an MG"S" game? :p

I agree with Lupus on Mass Effect even without seeing any of it, because even the smallest hints of the hype and advertising for that game seem to be suggesting as much.

More info on MGR (happy now Ilmae? :p) apparently the stealth aspect has been completely dropped, which is kind of a shame, I was hoping to see a nice mix, Raiden is a NINJA after all, a faction primarily known for stealth.

I wonder if the ability to disable enemies without killing is also dropped. I noticed that most of the enemies in the new trailer seemed to be cyborgs rather than just fleshy mooks. I'm guessing if the enemies are exclusively tech-based there's less of a moral issue in murdering them as far as japanese censors are concerned...

I don't know if i mentioned it here, a quick glance says i didn't, but apparently MGR:R isn't getting a Z rating in Japan because the enemies are cyborgs. Just a fun fact for you all.

There is actually an extended trailer for it now as well if people are interested, which if you haven't seen it, you can find here: http://youtu.be/1uSHmKf5Gp4

Oh, and i just found that there is a 25 minute behind the scenes as well, containing more footage: http://youtu.be/gV1BMUg4NsA

Naughty Dog say The Last of Us will be late 2012/early 2013 for release and they intend to continue down the same ideas they took to play with Uncharted, in that they want to put a stronger emphasis on the story since they think the medium lacks it a lot at the moment. And that they want to redefine the genre. ah well.

Most other people haven't commented on their new titles yet, but i'll throw it up here when i find em.

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
More info on MGR (happy now Ilmae? :p)
Very much so, lol.

I just want the game to include lots of Raiden being ridiculously cool. Anything else is a bonus.

I have hopes for it, but I'm disappointed that it seems more Devil May Cry now, more like a spectacle fighter, to coin Yahtzee's phrase. It bugs me when the weapon I'm using seems to have zero effect on the enemies, unlike the first trailer shown. Hopefully you can still cut pillars to make rubble fall on enemies and such.

I just like my action games to be action games, not combo generators. I think the wolverine game did it pretty well, sure there were combos, but it wasn't about spending ages on one enemy to get a massive score. 'course it's still early so hopefully my fears will be assuaged.

Ah, well, Yahtzee talks a load of ****, so I wouldn't worry about that! :p

Devil May Cry is one of the most legit games of all time, an actual 3D fighting game rather than a 3D beat-em-up (ie. Streets of Rage in HD, like God of War and those of its ilk), so if they can get anywhere near those levels of "had seismic effect on entire industry" it would be ace.

Looks totally like Vanquish 2, though, which is also not entirely a bad thing due to the aforementioned need for Raiden coolness.

Back