Sony PSP Released Sept 1st; are you getting one?

Will you be buying a Sony PSP?

• Yes (on release)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (at a later date)

• No

• I already own one

• Total voters

Mutsumi

Guild Member
As many of you may know, the smooth sexy blackness that is the PSP will be landing in the UK. So I ask you all:

Who here intends to purchase one, & what games?

What do you think of the PSP?

Ho do you compare it to the Nintendo DS (remember, graphics are not everything)?

I'll be buying a PSP on release midnight, likely with Ridge Racers & a carry case, but the £400 bundle with three games (1 any game, 2 from a selected range), a 1GB memory card, a movie, some DVD ripping software, & stuff. Though I am trying to save to get a home.

I really like the versatility of the PSP; its almost like a PDA in its functionality & ability to have emulators put on it. So much so it will make much of my phone (Xda II, a PDA with a phone bit) to shame. While it may not be the best at some of its extra functions (MP3 player; my 20GB Sony MP3 player wipes the floor with PSP MP3, & my player is an old model), it certainly does more than enough to get by.

As far as comparing to the DS goes, the PSP wins the battle for sheer power & presentation, but Nintendo once again show us with the DS they can take a new idea & make it work, giving us innovation after innovation; the d-pad, A & B buttons, Start & Select buttons, Y & X buttons, L & R shoulder buttons, the analog stick, wireless (not IR) controllers, dual screens (Nintendo first used dual screens in the 80s with an LCD Zelda game), & of course, the touchscreen controller. So while the PSP is the more powerful device, I'd say the DS is the better games machine, due to its wider potential within games playing. Each machine caters for a different knd of gamer though, & I will enjoy both immensly for their own merits.

I've allready got a DS, PSP may be better graphics but
1. The Ds has better games, all psp is FPS's and Racing Games
and
2. DS is more innovative

The DS is just more my kind of thing, theres more quirky/crazy japanese games on DS, which is pretty much why I bought it (that and because theres going to be a Zelda DS :lol: )

i will be getting a PSP, it may seem that it is better than the DS, but i doubt it, in fact i think i will only be gettin it for a couple of games. But i think i may as well get it to increase my collection. get this then i just sit and wait till november for XBox 360. then just wait for the next console..then the next....

Not interested. For all its power and sexiness, there's still only one killer title that truly interests me, and one game alone doesn't warrant a full system. It may be able to play movies and music, but I don't care for either - I've got an mp3 player, and can't see the attraction of paying the same amount of money as a DVD for something that can be used on a single system with a much smaller screen.

There's also the whole way Sony has handled the European launch. Coming a full nine months after the Japanese launch, and without properly marketing it (it was nowhere to be seen at Edinburgh's game festival, a whole two weeks ago), I can't help but think Sony still aren't taking us seriously. Not to mention the various technical issues it's been reported to have (dead pixels, non-existant battery life and so on) and a screen so exposed it'll be scratched to hell within a week.

It may be the hippest, sexiest gadget around, but it takes more than street cred to sell a games system to guys like me (which is proabably why Sony aren't aiming it at guys like me). Personally, I think the DS has a lot more going for it; a much stronger catalogue, some real innovation, and Nintendogs. :)

Sir Haggis said:
Not interested. For all its power and sexiness, there's still only one killer title that truly interests me, and one game alone doesn't warrant a full system. It may be able to play movies and music, but I don't care for either - I've got an mp3 player, and can't see the attraction of paying the same amount of money as a DVD for something that can be used on a single system with a much smaller screen.

There's also the whole way Sony has handled the European launch. Coming a full nine months after the Japanese launch, and without properly marketing it (it was nowhere to be seen at Edinburgh's game festival, a whole two weeks ago), I can't help but think Sony still aren't taking us seriously. Not to mention the various technical issues it's been reported to have (dead pixels, non-existant battery life and so on) and a screen so exposed it'll be scratched to hell within a week.

It may be the hippest, sexiest gadget around, but it takes more than street cred to sell a games system to guys like me (which is proabably why Sony aren't aiming it at guys like me). Personally, I think the DS has a lot more going for it; a much stronger catalogue, some real innovation, and Nintendogs. :)

yes i agree...though i am getting one for the sole purpose of FFVII:AC, i may decide against it as i know that there is apparently a DVD release of FFVII:AC as well. But it all depends on when and by how much the price drop is

yes i agree...though i am getting one for the sole purpose of FFVII:AC, i may decide against it as i know that there is apparently a DVD release of FFVII:AC as well. But it all depends on when and by how much the price drop is

Pretty sure the UMD release and DVD release is simultanious.

Ramen89 said:

Pretty sure the UMD release and DVD release is simultanious.
That's assuming we even get it. No European release has ever been confirmed, and while this gives me a little hope that we may see it eventually, Square have been notoriously reluctant to release titles here in the past, much to everyones exasperation. They'd be fools not to, though - FFVII isn't exactly niche title, and the amount of hype that's been building up has all but ensured it's gonna sell well, regardless of how good it actually is.

Firstly, why waste over ??150+ on a portable games system unless you travel frequently? I'd rather prefer playing my games on my 28' screen TV and not a tiny one, consisting of re-hashes of previously released PS1 games.

Secondly, next-gen is around the corner with the Xbox 360 and eventually the PS3? Shenmue 3 is waiting! ;)

Thirdly, Sony was trying to stamp out people who imported the PSP so that they can charge a higher price in the UK. UMD's are a waste of money - buy a portable DVD player with a bigger screen, plus you can watch any DVD you like and that is not restricted to the UMD.

So unless your uber rich or like having a fancy gadget - my advice is wait for the next gen consoles!
I don't really see any good games coming out for the PSP at the moment!

/end rant :D
________
Ferrari Inter

valha said:
if i had that much cash free i would put it towards getting my ibook . A ibook is way better then a psp for sure.

Indeed, I love my iBook :D.

I'm voting 'no'. The PSP never did interest me much, and I can't forsee that I'll ever want to get it - unless in a few years time I find it in a bargain bin for a fiver :lol:.

I won't be getting one, I might be tempted to get one later on in its lifeline, perhaps when there is a price drop or something.

I'm not buying one either. If a game interests me enough, there are certain ways to...ahem...acquire it, but the majority of PSP games don't particularly seem like must buys. I also don't play handheld much, since I'm far more comfortable at home than travelling.

i played one when it was first released in Japan, i found it really easy to get to but the thing i didnt like is the analogue stick it just felt to flimsy, other than that i would have to have a proper look at what games will be available before i made a decision on getting one, i never get a console unless theres a game i really really want on it.

Back