Some Studio Ghibli questions.

Baggie_Saiyan

Thousand Master
Hiya hope everyone is well, I have 3 questions:

1. I haven't seen a single Ghibli film yet, I have Spirited Away on pre-order (BD) just wondering what are the must must see's from Ghibli, basically if folks can give me their list of top 4 excluding Spirited Away, that would be extremely helpful as all of these will be blind to me so the ones that appear most in people's list I know I can give that a shot.

2. Also, how is the dubbing of these movies? I am a dubber, hardly watch anime subbed, I find anime much more enjoyable in one of my native tongues. Anyway, this thread isn't meant to be a dub vs sub thread so I'll move on.

3. Does anyone know how the packaging of the BD/DVD combo's look like? And how do the steelbook's look like?

Cheers. :)

Two of my ostensible favourites actually predate the studio, but what the hell.

1. Favourites would be Castle of Cagliostro, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart, but everyone should see Totoro.

2. Generally very good. The only dub I've seen get any serious flack is the disney version of Totoro - worth seeking out the Streamline dub instead.

3. Couldn't say for the steelbooks, but the UK BD/DVD combos look to have much the same packaging as the Optimum released DVDs did, so nice, but not amazing.

Isn't Castle of Cagliostro pre-Ghibli? It was directed by Miyazaki but was made before the founding of Studio Ghibli. It's still an amazing movie though. The rest of the Lupin III franchise is very different though.

In my opinion, the must see Studio Ghibli movies (excluding Spirited Away, as you already have that on pre-order) are:
- Princess Mononoke.
- The Cat Returns
- Whisper of the Heart
- Grave of the Fireflies (I'd say it was one of the best films ever made. It's VERY different in tone than the other Ghibli movies though).

The last one has a very different tone to the rest of Ghibli's stuff. Grave of the Fireflies is easily one of the most powerful movies ever made.

Top 4 hmm...

1.Spirited Away is definitely my favourite but omitting that:

Laputa Castle in the Sky,
Nausicaa,
Kiki's Delivery Service,
Princess Mononoke,

I also have to recommend Arrietty as that is my lady's favourite and Grave of the Fireflies which is amazing but emotional and, as has already been mentioned, not typical Ghibli.

2. Largely good. A lot of big name actors. Only Yesterday is the only Ghibli release I can think of with subtitles only (no dub.)

3. Not a fan personally. Too much bare burnished steel, they look a little plain and lazy. circle with a main character popping out on the front, cutout image on the back. No fancy finishing such as embossing or gloss.

Joshawott said:
Isn't Castle of Cagliostro pre-Ghibli? It was directed by Miyazaki but was made before the founding of Studio Ghibli.

That is what I was getting at, yes. Cagliostro and Nausicaa both predate Ghibli, but as they both feel like they belong and they're invariably included with the Ghibli canon in home releases, I see no reason to leave them out.

Not got any steelbooks since I got the limited editions and slipcover versions (the limited editions are newer ones such as Ponyo and Arriety).

My fav Ghibli films (in no particular order) are,

Porco Rosso
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Castle of Cagliostro (predates Ghibli but is released as part of the Ghibli Collection)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (predates Ghibli but is released as part of the Ghibli Collection)
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart

Baggie_Saiyan said:
Hiya hope everyone is well, I have 3 questions:

1. I haven't seen a single Ghibli film yet, I have Spirited Away on pre-order (BD) just wondering what are the must must see's from Ghibli, basically if folks can give me their list of top 4 excluding Spirited Away, that would be extremely helpful as all of these will be blind to me so the ones that appear most in people's list I know I can give that a shot.

2. Also, how is the dubbing of these movies? I am a dubber, hardly watch anime subbed, I find anime much more enjoyable in one of my native tongues. Anyway, this thread isn't meant to be a dub vs sub thread so I'll move on.

3. Does anyone know how the packaging of the BD/DVD combo's look like? And how do the steelbook's look like?

Cheers. :)

1. My top 3 are:
Princess Mononke
Only Yesterday
Grave of the Fireflies

I do like Ocean Waves as well (TV Movie), every movie is unique and I don't dislike any of them.
It's really hard to choose on the order you like them.

2. I watch them in sub as it was it meant to be seen, I have seen a few of them in dub and I didnt mind them, non of them are awful.

3. Here is what they look like and you can see majority of them here in my collection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSU8xVJadi0 hope that helps.

Cheers for the response guys.

I will wait for a few more replies before, making my mind on what to get.

Another question, the blu rays seem rather expensive, so are the DVD's upscaled by a games console, good enough? or would it be better saving up and buying the blu rays?

Baggie_Saiyan said:
Cheers for the response guys.

I will wait for a few more replies before, making my mind on what to get.

Another question, the blu rays seem rather expensive, so are the DVD's upscaled by a games console, good enough? or would it be better saving up and buying the blu rays?

Depends on how good your telly is really.

If you've got a modern one, at a size of 40 inches or over, I'd definitely go for Blu Ray to get the full effect.

I havn't watched alot of studio ghibli stuff but what i do recomend is

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Grave of the Fireflies
Princess Mononoke

P.S Blu-Ray has has more extras than the DVD.
And the Blu-Ray has the titles in Japanese while the dvd's are English. If you are nit picking.

1. I've yet to see every movie they have done, but my personal favourites from Studio Ghibli so far are (besides Spirit Away): The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service. An honorary mention goes to Ocean Waves, it's not a typical Ghibli film, but it's pretty good

2. Again, I haven't seen every movie so far, but I enjoyed the dubs for Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns and Kiki's Delivery Service, they are of a very high quality in my opinion and stand up to the original Japanese track

3. I'm not too sure on that, I only own Spirited Away on DVD, the others I've watched on TV whenever they're on.

Sinthetic said:
Top 4 to see:

Howl
Porco Rosso
Kiki
Mononoke

The dubs are very good.

You can see what the releases look like at my page. HERE.

Have you compared the PQ on each release? I would like to know the difference if any of Mononoke Hime.

Keep your eye out for Film 4. When it was the Film 4 Ghibli Season, I mabaged to get about 12 films recorded that I haven't made my full way through yet.

I want to see Tales of Earthsea and Only Yesterday very badly. Unsure if the latter has a dub though?

I do love the more recent ones due to when I first got into Ghibli so of course I'm going to recommend all the releases since Spirited Away as they're bloody delightful.

Totoro of course but Princess Mononoke remains to be my fave pre-Spirited Away film atm.

My top 4 Ghibli films:

Nausicaa
Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Grave Of The Fireflies (Regarded as one of the top war films made even within live action war films)

This isn't what you asked for but might help? It's every Ghibli & director based film listed by how much I enjoyed them: http://letterboxd.com/danniface/list/be ... bli-films/

-

-Danielle- said:
Keep your eye out for Film 4. When it was the Film 4 Ghibli Season, I mabaged to get about 12 films recorded that I haven't made my full way through yet.

I want to see Tales of Earthsea and Only Yesterday very badly. Unsure if the latter has a dub though?

I do love the more recent ones due to when I first got into Ghibli so of course I'm going to recommend all the releases since Spirited Away as they're bloody delightful.

Totoro of course but Princess Mononoke remains to be my fave pre-Spirited Away film atm.

Only Yesterday doesn't have a dub, which might be why we have yet to see a BD release for it outside of Japan, sighhh.
It's a matter of opinion but Earthsea is probably the weakest Ghibli film so try not to hype yourself up too much ;) I would recommend going in with no expectations, unless it's too late lol.

Hehe I won't hype it up too much, promise. I know Willem Defoe does the dub for a character in it and me likey him :p haha.

Thankfully I tend to be ok with the Jap dub when it comes to films so that won't deter me from Only Yesterday :)

The one with the racoons, I really don't think I'm ever going to "get into it". Think that will remain an unwatched one, I almost potentially feel the same way about Porco Rosso but Michael Keaton does the voice so that might save it for me.

I haven't seen all of the Ghibli films yet but my top 3 are:

Howls Moving Castle (first Ghibli film i watched), Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke

Nauiscaa, My Neighbours the Yamadas and From Up on the Poppy Hill are very good too.

I'd recommend getting the blu-rays over the dvd as price wise it's only a few pounds more for the blu-ray and all but Nauiscaa come with the dvd too, plus they look so much better on blu-ray :D

Seeing this thread is making me want to watch the ones i haven't seen now :lol:

Okay so based on the responses and having a look at the synopsis, I have made these priority for now:
(Spirited Away)
Grave of the fireflies
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa
Howl's Moving Castle

Thanks everyone :thumb:

Back