So Why Doesn't Anime Limited Admit That Aniplex Screwed.....

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
With their masters for the BD of Gurren Laggan. I mean thats why the UK BD release is inferior right?, cause Aniplex didn't want AL's UK release being as good as theirs right?

Re: So Why Doesn't Anime Limited Admit That Aniplex Screwed.

Firstly, this is just my opinion, but it seems a little premature to say something like that when it might not 100% be the case.

And secondly, if it did happen, Anime Ltd aren't exactly going to call them out publicly like that - they're both professional companies and to get into a slagging off match throwing around accusations could seriously damage both companies' reputation and the likelihood they'd work with each other in the future.

Also. This isn't an excuse, but in the corporate world, these things happen. People screw up, mistakes happen, things are never perfect. To coin that phrase that Jerome used in that interview, 'Otaku QC' goes to a level of detail that most companies would never dream of, or have the time or expense to conduct themselves.

Yup Lutga covers it. Do you really think Anime Limited publicly blaming Aniplex will accomplish anything?

As consumers, we're free to call out mistakes and annoying decisions as much as we want, that's our right and we did so loud and clear with Gurren Lagann. It doesn't work like that for a business, especially when they're trying to establish a working relationship with another company.

Invisible Crane said:
With their masters for the BD of Gurren Lagann. I mean thats why the UK BD release is inferior right?, cause Aniplex didn't want AL's UK release being as good as theirs right?
I half agree with you, but at the same time I don't. I'm under the impression that it's not rare to receive masters with problems like missing footage. If I recall correctly, Justin Sevakis even stated on the last ANNcast that he's had to rip JP Blurays to patch video footage in. To get replacement masters through for the missing footage, Anime Limited would have had to go through Aniplex of America who then has to go back to Aniplex Japan. The whole process takes a long time, and I believe Andrew has said before that Gurren would have been delayed to at least some point this year if that was the case. The video for the UK BDs wasn't so much an issue for me, it was actually the audio. Now I have all 5 Aniplex volumes to compare, the JP audio on the UK release is definitely very much screwed, and the English 2.0 PCM tracks on Aniplex's BD sound cleaner than the 5.1 DTS track too IMO.

I don't think Aniplex are out to really sabotage anyone's releases. Look at the UK release of Kill La Kill. Other than the dodgy JP audio for Episode 1, the rest of volume 1 stacks up really well against Aniplex's release both video and audio wise - and it (as well as volumes 2 and 3) came out within a month of the same episodes being released by AoA.

Mangaranga said:
Invisible Crane said:
With their masters for the BD of Gurren Lagann. I mean thats why the UK BD release is inferior right?, cause Aniplex didn't want AL's UK release being as good as theirs right?
I half agree with you, but at the same time I don't. I'm under the impression that it's not rare to receive masters with problems like missing footage. If I recall correctly, Justin Sevakis even stated on the last ANNcast that he's had to rip JP Blurays to patch video footage in. To get replacement masters through for the missing footage, Anime Limited would have had to go through Aniplex of America who then has to go back to Aniplex Japan. The whole process takes a long time, and I believe Andrew has said before that Gurren would have been delayed to at least some point this year if that was the case. The video for the UK BDs wasn't so much an issue for me, it was actually the audio. Now I have all 5 Aniplex volumes to compare, the JP audio on the UK release is definitely very much screwed, and the English 2.0 PCM tracks on Aniplex's BD sound cleaner than the 5.1 DTS track too IMO.

I don't think Aniplex are out to really sabotage anyone's releases. Look at the UK release of Kill La Kill. Other than the dodgy JP audio for Episode 1, the rest of volume 1 stacks up really well against Aniplex's release both video and audio wise - and it (as well as volumes 2 and 3) came out within a month of the same episodes being released by AoA.

What bugs me is that it takes any significant time to resolve a materials issue. AL paid for the licence, why did it not take a phone call and 2-3 days of express shipping for new materials to be provided? I fully understand the price points and realities of the Japanese market but their contempt for licensees when it comes to supplying what has been agreed upon is staggering.

I imagine translation etc. plays a part but also the reality is that in big corporate situations things just don't happen that quickly - people get passed around the office/email chains and required sign off usually takes a week every single time a decision needs to be made.

The currently airing series SHIROBAKO actually does a fantastic job of showing just how painful the production process is from the Japanese perspective, and I can promise that many other industries are exactly the same both inside and outside Japan. Time zone differences, weird chains of command and even personal misunderstandings can lead to huge delays in ways that sound completely unbelievable from outside.

I don't really understand why the Japanese side doesn't just produce finalised BD masters (which are almost always close to perfect, on their releases) and then beam the final files along with additional production materials to other regions to add their subtitles and audio tracks onto the final disc. For some reason it seems a lot more low tech than that and everyone ends up painstakingly redoing the same work all over the world, with varying results when random elements are omitted either intentionally or through negligence. On a similar note, I don't really understand why streaming isn't centralised to the point where you can sometimes get the same show simulcast in the same language with two or more different sets of official subtitles. What a waste of everyone's time!

It would also make more sense if the Japanese side streamed the English simulcast everywhere in the world that someone else hadn't agreed to stream it too, in order to better control their properties and fans. It's all dreadfully frustrating.

R

If an anime licensor personally feels like they have been screwed over by the Japanese license owner, I don't think it would be professional for them to air any misgivings in public; especially as doing so could be detrimental to the relationship between the companies in question. I'm amazed FUNimation had the balls to put the disclaimer they did at the start of the A Certain Magical Index movie blu-ray (I think that was the release?).
I can't say much about Anime Limited's case in particular, but I'm sure that on a more general "anime industry" level, words have been exchanged in private at some point.

Speaking of Shirobako Rui, if the series receives a second season, I'd actually like to see the series explore what happens when Exodus! or The Third Aerial Girls Squad gets licensed by a foreign company (although I wonder if the Japanese audience would actually care). Although as the series mainly focuses on the animation studio and not the other aspects of production, I wonder if that would actually be something we'd see anyway (maybe if Miyamori's production career progresses further?).

Joshawott said:
Speaking of Shirobako Rui, if the series receives a second season, I'd actually like to see the series explore what happens when Exodus! or The Third Aerial Girls Squad gets licensed by a foreign company (although I wonder if the Japanese audience would actually care). Although as the series mainly focuses on the animation studio and not the other aspects of production, I wonder if that would actually be something we'd see anyway (maybe if Miyamori's production career progresses further?).

They could also approach it by having a subplot where Shizuka has to help promote a future series by appearing at talk events at AnimeJapan and the like, and if she gets big she could travel overseas and appear at a French or US convention and experience glimpses of how the titles are sold overseas. Since her role isn't that central to the production story they could use her to highlight other important aspects of the process that way and the core group of girls would probably be interested in what she discovered.

I doubt the studio spends much/any time working on overseas releases unless new materials are required. More likely that the only input they have is when some middleman emails Tarou in terrible Japanese and he drags his feet lazily and then sends them stuff they never actually wanted.

R

Rui said:
when some middleman emails Tarou in terrible Japanese and he drags his feet lazily and then sends them stuff they never actually wanted.
Would watch.

Invisible Crane said:
With their masters for the BD of Gurren Laggan. I mean thats why the UK BD release is inferior right?, cause Aniplex didn't want AL's UK release being as good as theirs right?

? ? ?

This is a topic I've covered a hundred and one times elsewhere - I don't actually see the need or current events that actually require this all to be rehashed again.

These things happen and at the end of the day it's something that happens. Blaming people or accusing anyone of anything doesn't help and if you're going to "blame" anyone it should be us for having to make a judgement call on how to proceed.

Best,

Andrew

jazzimus_rider32 said:
mind me when fan were bashing sailor moon blu ray by viz claiming that her master were better then one viz had.

I believe there was a little bit more to the Sailor Moon situation than that, there was an interview with a Mexican distributor (I think it was), where they explicitly said Viz had given them a poor master, and they had to fight for access to the good Japanese one because Toei were protective over it. So the obvious assumption is that they pulled the same trick on Viz and Viz didn't realise...

Anyway, a lot of the complaints about the Viz Sailor Moon scenario seemed to be that even if Viz had been given a poor master their attempts to fix it had backfired and made it worse...

Back