So I just finished reading Kimagure Orange Road

subedii

Great Teacher
I really loved it. It did slow down a bit in the middle, and during that time gave way to a prevalence of 'H' gags, but on the whole, I really loved this series, and I can see why it's so popular. The ending especially.

Anyone else here read it? Oh, and I wanted to know about the series as well. How closesly does it follow the Manga? And is it alright to watch the movie ('I want to return to that day') without having seen any of the actual series? Any plans for a release here?

I've not read the manga, not sure I want to; but the TV series is wonderful and I have heard it follows closely to the manga, with just the odd filler episode.
The movie and OVA are separate from the TV series, so you could watch them together or just one. I saw the OVA first, then the TV series, then the 2nd movie! There is an OVA that is a sequel to the TV series, but the UK OVA release is different.
That sounds confusing, doesn't it?!!

There's a 6 ep. OVA separate to TV series.
TV series.
Sequel 2 ep. OVA.
Movie: Summer's Beginning (separate story, different animation).
Sequel movie.

That's better :lol:

subedii said:
OK, assuming that the Manga does follow the anime quite closely, what would you recommend if I was looking for more Manga like this?
There's nothing like Orange Road to be honest!!
There's plenty of high school romance, or special powers, or comedy, but nothing brings all 3 together like KOR. What aspect of it did you like the most? that might make recommendations easier!

You could try Maison Ikkoku, it's the only similar thing I can think of (more comedy, no powers, same kinda romance) - and yes! I mean the manga. Although the anime is fantastic too!!

To be honest, I felt the whole super-powers thing was secondary to the story. Often it wasn't used at all, except in the more unusual chapters. I liked the high-school romance, with the commedy thrown in. Although as I said, they could have lost the 'H' gags. :mrgreen:

Is Maison Ikkoku out here?

Maison Ikkoku is released by Viz, so I doubt it has an actual UK release (I wouldn't know as I don't tend to follow UK manga releases!).

Are you after comedy style high school romance stuff? or just high school romance? as I can recommend a whole ton of high school romance, but not necessarily with the light hearted KOR type comedy element!

I actually read KOR after I read Ichigo 100% and I've got to say that they are both pretty similar - I say give Ichigo a go (sorry pun not intended - I'd reword but can't be bothered :D). There's this other manga by the same person who does Ichigo called Lilim Kiss - has a little fantasy element to it and is quite short too - definitely give that a look.

Oh yeah how cool would it be to have the powers from KOR ;)

Back