so any news from toei animation europe on sailor moon

Anime Ltd.'s Andrew Partridge said on their podcast the other day, that most UK distributors seemed passingly interested. Toei Europe hadn't put it out to tender yet, and probably wouldn't for quite some time, but Andrew wanted to see a copy of the corrected blu-ray before he considered whether AL bidded for it or not.

Manga UK has said previously that they waited until they were certain they wouldn't get a big TV deal to release DBZ Kai, so it could feasibly be 4/5 years again.

Buzz201 said:
Anime Ltd.'s Andrew Partridge said on their podcast the other day, that most UK distributors seemed passingly interested. Toei Europe hadn't put it out to tender yet, and probably wouldn't for quite some time, but Andrew wanted to see a copy of the corrected blu-ray before he considered whether AL bidded for it or not.

Manga UK has said previously that they waited until they were certain they wouldn't get a big TV deal to release DBZ Kai, so it could feasibly be 4/5 years again.
Andrew, you're breaking me here. Madman's RIGHT THERE with THE FIXED DVDS and they're just there to grab!

ConanThe3rd said:
Andrew, you're breaking me here. Madman's RIGHT THERE with THE FIXED DVDS and they're just there to grab!

He also said in the podcast that Anime Ltd. were starting to see blu-ray as the primary release medium (rather than secondary to DVD), I think that might be the stumbling block. I think Mexico and Japan are the only places to get the correct master so far, not the ****** ones Viz got passed off with.

But the main hold up seems to be Toei Europe aren't selling it yet, rather than anything else.

The thing is, now Madman has the DVDs, the chances are certainly much much higher than they were before for a UK release - this'd slot right into Manga's schedule of Toei stuff once DBZ Kai has all come out.

Lutga said:
The thing is, now Madman has the DVDs, the chances are certainly much much higher than they were before for a UK release - this'd slot right into Manga's schedule of Toei stuff once DBZ Kai has all come out.

Except Jerome M said he had to wear Toei Europe down to convince them to release DBZ Kai, because they were hellbent on TV. It's possible it could take the same amount of time again.

Buzz201 said:
He also said in the podcast that Anime Ltd. were starting to see blu-ray as the primary release medium (rather than secondary to DVD), I think that might be the stumbling block.

I didn't really infer this from Andrew's comments in the podcast. It seemed more to me as if obtaining blu ray rights is an especially important factor for Anime Limited. Which, considering some folks are vocal about not wanting to support a release on DVD if a blu ray option exists, makes sense.

HdE said:
Buzz201 said:
He also said in the podcast that Anime Ltd. were starting to see blu-ray as the primary release medium (rather than secondary to DVD), I think that might be the stumbling block.

I didn't really infer this from Andrew's comments in the podcast. It seemed more to me as if obtaining blu ray rights is an especially important factor for Anime Limited. Which, considering some folks are vocal about not wanting to support a release on DVD if a blu ray option exists, makes sense.
but a br release doesn't exist for Sailor Moon. Viz's release was a blow up of the dvds.

ConanThe3rd said:
but a br release doesn't exist for Sailor Moon. Viz's release was a blow up of the dvds.

Nope, HD masters exist in Japan.

There's some evidence to suggest Viz got screwed by Toei and were deliberately given **** masters. Somebody on ANN stumbled across an interview with a Mexican distributor (I think it was) who said they'd been given the **** masters and had to beg Toei to give them access to the nice masters. From that, some chose to infer that Toei had, accidentally or otherwise, sabotaged, Viz's US release. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: A translation of the Mexican interviews can be found here and here.

They exist on TV but those will never Leave Japan shy of a full scale Rest of World Invasion of the place.

If Andrew is letting this one by on a pipe dream of getting those then...!

If any UK distributor was willing to extra mile and get them it's probably Anime Ltd., the question is would they able to, and if they did, would it be profitable for them?

Buzz201 said:
Anime Ltd.'s Andrew Partridge said on their podcast the other day, that most UK distributors seemed passingly interested.
How can that be when manga said that they wouldn't touch it and MVM wasn't interested because they released the old cut for US TV version which didn't sell that well (for what little they did release since I'm not even sure that they didn't go past the second season) which only leave AL in the current market since some of the manga UK staff are now animatsu and what was said could stand between both of them along with the absolute no MVM gave.

Plus from what madman has mentioned, there is going to be some form of BD release in Japan in the near future of which masters they will be using.

Buzz201 said:
If any UK distributor was willing to extra mile and get them it's probably Anime Ltd., the question is would they able to, and if they did, would it be profitable for them?
There's going the extra mile and then there's falling off the cliff chasing a dream that doesn't exist.

ConanThe3rd said:
There's going the extra mile and then there's falling off the cliff chasing a dream that doesn't exist.
The Mexicans got them. What does Mexico have that we don't?

Although that interview doesn't make it sound like the Mexican distributor had to undergo some kind of ridiculous Da Vinci Code-esque chase...

I doubt it, Crystal was panned by everyone.

I think it's quite telling that Crystal doesn't have "fans", it has "apologists" and some of them do actually call themselves that...

Problem with crystal is that it doing an accurate adaption of the manga this time round with a few minor changes. Plus looks like crystal animation got fixed for DVD and blu ray release.

ConanThe3rd said:

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid was one such dream at one point. And we're getting a UK release of that in December.

Back