So About the latest Funimation dub controversy

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
So it was revealed recently that the English dub cast for the Dragon Ball franchise did some very questionable and offensive outtakes that got leaked by an insider that's related to the Vic Minogna drama that's been going on for months now. Is this considered forbidden to talk about?

I don't have a problem with talking about it so long as it's clearly understood that nothing has been verified (as far as I know?) and it doesn't somehow retroactively cancel out the Vic drama just because other people did bad things too. I would also prefer that it was not overtly made easy to find the original material from the post because some of the slurs used are offensive enough to be against our rules, even if it's off-site.

Never watched the dub in question so I can't even begin to tell if the recordings are legitimate.

R

I don't have a problem with talking about it so long as it's clearly understood that nothing has been verified (as far as I know?) and it doesn't somehow retroactively cancel out the Vic drama just because other people did bad things too. I would also prefer that it was not overtly made easy to find the original material from the post because some of the slurs used are offensive enough to be against our rules, even if it's off-site.

Never watched the dub in question so I can't even begin to tell if the recordings are legitimate.

R
They are. The Vic stans seem to think it will somehow bring down Funimation despite the fact Funimation technically doesn't make the dub, only commission it. The dub is produced by Christopher Sabats company Orkatron 5000. This is common practice as far as I'm aware, even if the company involved only does work for that particular company.

They are. The Vic stans seem to think it will somehow bring down Funimation despite the fact Funimation technically doesn't make the dub, only commission it. The dub is produced by Christopher Sabats company Orkatron 5000. This is common practice as far as I'm aware, even if the company involved only does work for that particular company.
Not to mention those clips apparently were leaked way before this whole daft situation had happened, plus it was made back in 2002 in which the VAs have supposedly already apologised for. So in other words, this whole recent discussion over the internet is already useless against Funimation and it's not going to benefit the Vic supporters (heck the Vic supporters themselves are causing more damage than good if you want my opinion).

I'm going to be saying objectionable comments in the following post

I remember there were lots of parodies (some of more questionable content than others) around the late 90's, early 2000's. All I'm hearing from these clips are people parodying a section of DBZ (I dont know if its the original cast not). Also wern't they released about 15+ years ago, so hardly a new, super secret find? or am I remembering incorrectly.

With the more recent movements in the LGBT community and whats considered acceptable, I understand why people might find some of that offensive but in my opinion I feel as though it was intended as a parody, not to be hateful/homophobic/whatever else

We're also talking about a show that has a character called Popo (Totally not racist) and a dub that (if it was made in a pro-studio, not saying it was) was created shortly after the Naughty 90's where is was common for shows to get as much trash in as possible (See Ghost Stories)

----

If its found the voice clips are made with full support from Funimation/Toei in company time then I agree that some people might have been in the wrong to make them

/Objectionable comment end

Listened to a lot more video's and its feels a bit beyond "Parody". Sorry for my previous comment (What I'm leaving above)

Should have listened to more than /just the clips/

Last edited:
We had ghost stories as a official dub so a lots changed since the mid 2000s, I think this just makes the Vic Supporters seem desperate and misunderstand why people bring up old Sexual allegations.

The parody skit seemed like dumb, ignorant humour to me, but one of the words used in another was definitely not acceptable. It wasn't directed at anyone though, which just means it reflects poorly on the speaker at the time rather than being morally equivalent to some of the freakier things described in the other case. Discrediting other people isn't going to change my mind about anything that has happened there.

R

I'm in the school of thought where it's not exactly the content of what they are saying in the resurfaced clips, it's their behaviour.
Vic loses 2 jobs over things that are incredibly difficult to prove, it's mostly inappropriate behaviour they accuse him of and they throw him under the bus, but now these clips resurface showing their own inappropriate behaviour

Apparently they want to throw each other under the bus for it, won't be surprised if we'll soon see the parody groups doing official dubs before long, all the usual dragonball dubbers are doing now is spinning outrage

Personally, I don't condemn anyone based on a recording unintended for the public condemns anyone. Many people can speak to have participated in blue humour amongst friends and colleagues when you know where said people are coming from. This is particularly true in acting circles (speaking from experience there). If you remember the Ghost Stories dub, it used every kind of blue humour under the sun, much of which was improv from the actors.

Recording themselves doing it tbough? That was really really dumb. I would even let someone record me in a game of CArds Against Humanity, let alone casual messing around wirh frienda.

Last edited:
Back