Smoking legal 18 from 1st of october

Ryo Chan said:
now we just need to make drinking 21 and we're sorted ^^

from what i heard, they are doing that too, can't remember exactly when though, mind you i could be wrong. Not that i'm bothered, since drink never appealled to me. Neither has smoking either, never tried it, never will. Rising the age limit for it seems like a good idea, but it will no doubt cause problems.

Not the least bit bothered, although i agree that alcohol should have a higher priority over smoking when it comes to laws. At the end of the day smoking only kills you (i don't really buy the idea that spending a couple of hours in a smoky room will reduce your lifespan by years) drink can make you violent, harm others, harm yourself and build up to a nasty addiction which can be just as bad as the class A drugs.

Besides this new law is just another in the long list to get smoking banned anyway. I really don't understand - theres worse problems out there than people with self-inflicted lung cancer.

Plim Chan said:
Maybe they should just ban cigarettes.

Badabing.
The government makes too much money from the cigarette taxes to do something as sensible as that.

I don't smoke or do alcohol myself, but at least booze in under the guise of being food. Smoking on the other hand serves no purpose whatsoever other than to make you cranky and eventually give you a slow and agonizing death. :?

Ryo Chan said:

If they do that i think i would have to off myself. But the drinking age has never realy stopped me from getting booz before so it doesnt realy matter that much :lol:

Plim Chan said:
The government makes too much money from the cigarette taxes to do something as sensible as that.

They're being backed into a corner mind you. Whereas smoking was once a past-time its now become a chore. I've lost count of the amount of times i've passed a pub and seen 20-30+ people outside in the rain lighting up, who wants to do that?
The smokers club is just going to be reduced to the hardcore ones from now on, after all its not really cool to go to a pub and then plead with your mates to come out and keep you company in the cold outside.

So if the government's plan is to make money they're not doing very well - besides they've got a hellofalot of other ways to raise cash, can anyone say speeding fines? :)

If nothing else it makes it harder for younger kids to buy them, and when it comes to smokes the fewer people climbing onto the cancer express the better.

Liquid Skin said:
Plim Chan said:

They're being backed into a corner mind you. Whereas smoking was once a past-time its now become a chore. I've lost count of the amount of times i've passed a pub and seen 20-30+ people outside in the rain lighting up, who wants to do that?
The smokers club is just going to be reduced to the hardcore ones from now on, after all its not really cool to go to a pub and then plead with your mates to come out and keep you company in the cold outside.

So if the government's plan is to make money they're not doing very well - besides they've got a hellofalot of other ways to raise cash, can anyone say speeding fines? :)

Believe me the only reason smokes are on the market is MONEY.
These bans certainly improve the situation but not enough to put a dent in ol Big Brothers pocket.
Its just to make them look good.

Ryo Chan said:
And for all you unlucky kids, I say this... HA! I'm almost 21! By the time this happens, I could still be legal! XD

Seriously though, I would of though smoking would be something an adult should consider, since they know what life's like more than teenagers. Why this was not done at the start, I dont know.
Probably wont make a difference though... If chavs and such can get their hands on booze, then I'm sure they can steal a pack from the store or their parents.

Link100p said:
Legalise everything, Government gets a load of taxes and everyone will be happier.
Never been sure about this, but us non-smokers dont have to pay for smoker's rights, do we? Where does the taxes come from and go against? (Feels stupid.)

Did anyone see the 12 year old smoker or whatever it was on C4 a while back? His mum/friends just bought him the cigs - age ratings dont stop anyone as the thing is still in the market and at the end of the day shopkeepers want to make money.

Kinda sad but i found the documentary immensely funny because this lil 12 year old had a smoker's accent - a really gravelly, low voice! Plus he was a total chav, no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Back