Slice of life without the school girls.

Gacha

Stand User
Azumanga was funny it was good and holy **** has the Genre be well and truly milked to death, Slice of Life basically ends with, X school girl with X friend goes to X school and has a normal life.
I always thought the Genre was meant for you to connect with the characters but unfortunately someone forgot to mention to the creator/Director that most of their viewers are not and never have been Japanese school girls.
So here is the question, what title's are their that can be classed as slice of life and do not revolve around school?

My favourite, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Don't let the future setting put you off, if you like slice of life stuff it will not dissapoint.

Yotsuba (by the same author as Azumanga) is about a young girl, but it's about her home life, friends and neigbours and the way a child (albeit a fairly weird one) looks at the world.

Genshiken is pretty slice of life in my opinion and certainly not one to fall into a convenient pigeonhole. And I certainly cared about the characters! Though I suppose it does revolve around school (well, university) I certainly never felt annoyed by it.

Maison Ikkoku is a romance series but due to its length and very slow progression, I think it qualifies as slice of life. A lot of ridiculous things happen but in between there's a huge dollop of life a decade or so ago in Japan for average people scraping to get by. I really enjoyed this aspect of it. There are a couple of school girls/university students as secondary characters but most people in it are adults and time passes as the series goes on.

On the same note, Rumiko Takashi Anthology/Theatre (name varies depending on region) is a great series of short stories by the same authour about relatively normal people and the strange things that happen to them. The point of most episodes is about how they respond to problems out of their control but it all has a very grounded, normal feel. Mostly middle aged characters.

Kita He/Diamond Daydreams was one I wasn't too sure about but I gave it a try when the thinpack was released and enjoyed it. Most of the characters are young girls. However quite a few are past school age and the series on the whole is a bittersweet look at how a few different girls deal with problems. Each girl gets two episodes (IIRC) to herself and it's quite a short series.

R

I agree with Genshiken. Eventhough it is a comedy, nothing really is too over the top enough to take it out of slice of life as well.

Rumbling Hearts starts with school stuff and flashes back to school stuff from time to time, but is mainly about the here and now where the charcters are grown up.

ayase said:
My favourite, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Don't let the future setting put you off, if you like slice of life stuff it will not dissapoint.

Yotsuba (by the same author as Azumanga) is about a young girl, but it's about her home life, friends and neigbours and the way a child (albeit a fairly weird one) looks at the world.

Listen to this man!

Niea Under 7

Main character does attend cram school, but the show revolves around her home life with a freeloading alien.

Yes, aliens, UFO's and whatnot, but taken as a whole, not a lot of import happens in the show, except to leave you feeling good about yourself.

The one Yoshitoshi ABe series that hasn't been released here.

Aria is a truly brilliant slice of life series about gondoliers, set about 200 years in the future in a re-creation of Venice on a now terraformed Mars. It sounds very strange, but it is the most relaxing show I've ever seen.

Two that spring to mind are Moyashimon and Nana. Moyashimon is a college/uni slice of life, with the slight twist of the lead being able to see micro organisms. The anime has been completely fansubed and the manga is being published by Delray next year. Also features the most epic trap ever.
Nana is much more straight forward slice of life about two girls called Nana moving to Toyko to get on with their lives. Not read/watched it but lots of people say its good.

gerjomarty said:
Aria is a truly brilliant slice of life series about gondoliers, set about 200 years in the future in a re-creation of Venice on a now terraformed Mars. It sounds very strange, but it is the most relaxing show I've ever seen.

That one always appealed to me, never got round to it though.

hopeful_monster said:
Two that spring to mind are Moyashimon and Nana. Moyashimon is a college/uni slice of life, with the slight twist of the lead being able to see micro organisms. The anime has been completely fansubed and the manga is being published by Delray next year. Also features the most epic trap ever.
Nana is much more straight forward slice of life about two girls called Nana moving to Toyko to get on with their lives. Not read/watched it but lots of people say its good.
I ******* love moyashimon seriousoly i'm rewatching it now.

I've recently watched BECK. The story revolves around a 14 year old who learns guitar, joins a band, etc. Also, it has small parts about him getting bullied, getting friends, romance, etc. It's quite interesting and kept me hooked, so it is worth a watch, or 26.

gerjomarty said:

Just got the box set and started to watch it and it is well worth it. The animation is also beautiful.

gerjomarty said:
Oddly just reading the description of it relaxes me

I recently got Aria too and can glady add another recommendation for it. While the main characters are girls, it isn't about school. It's very much slice-of-life-- perhaps too much so, but definitely not in a bad way.

Back