Shows we want in the UK - possible site feature

HdE

Comic Book Guy
Howdy ho, everyone - just a quick advance warning of something I've been talking about with the site staff behind the scenes, which everyone can help with.

During discussions on AUKN, the point seems to keep coming up that fans need to speak up about the shows they'd like to see in the UK. Without revealing too much, I've been giving some thought to ways in which we can use AUKN as a platform for that in a more productive and meaningful fashion.

Now... I have ideas about the 'how' of this bubbling away in my back brain. But it'll help if board members can suggest some shows to me tht they'd like to see available in the UK. Obviously, I have my own ideas, but what I want isn't necesssarily what everybody else wants, and before I move ahead, I'd like to work up a healthy list of specific shows that UK fans want to see over here. They could be shows that have never been licensed in the West, or shows that are available Stateside but not here, or even shows that were once available on VHS but never got put out on digital media.

What I'd like interested parties to do is send me a PM with a list of shows they'd like to be able to buy in the UK. Just a few rules to follow here:

1. Don't post show titles in this thread. PM them to me please. If they come at me from several different angles, I'll miss things.

2. ABSOLUTELY NO HENTAI!

3. Please PM ONLY the title(s) of the show(s). There's no need for any further information.

It may seem easier to post show titles here in the thread, but there's a reason I want them via PM (I'm not saying - it'll ruin teh majikz!)

Also, feel free to ask questions in this thread (there may be an aspect of this that I haven't thought about yet) although, do be aware that I already have a pretty good idea how I'm going to use all of this. I'd also REALLY like to keep the thread from turning into a free-for-all with forum users asking for Show X, or getting into discussions about why it's a stupid show / will never be licensed / should be licensed immediately etc.

So there you have it, guys and gals! Give it some thought and send me your lists!

EDIT - NO MORE LISTS NOW, PLEASE. Thank to everybody who participated - I've got TONS of cool stuff here to sift through and collate. You're all stars, the lotta ya!

Does it have to be something we want to buy, or something we'd just rather see released here? As let's face it, the shows that really deserve to be released here will probably have been imported by those most fanatical about them in the first place.

What about shows that were available but are now out of print? How about shows that are on DVD in the UK but received Blu Ray releases elsewhere?

Just Passing Through said:
Does it have to be something we want to buy, or something we'd just rather see released here? As let's face it, the shows that really deserve to be released here will probably have been imported by those most fanatical about them in the first place.

Basically, the criteria is just that it's a show that isn't currently available in the UK or never has been.

The issue of whether folks have imported it or not doesn't really enter into it - or at least, not if the feature I'm thinking of implementing here takes off the way I'm hoping it will. There may be a chance to dicuss whether it's a pertinent factor later on. Could be cool to see how willing people are to double dip on certain things, whether distributors view thm as risky, etc.

For the time being, just ask for whatever you can think of that you'd like to be available in region 2. No need to overthink it. :)

IncendiaryLemon said:
What about shows that were available but are now out of print? How about shows that are on DVD in the UK but received Blu Ray releases elsewhere?

Yep, covered in the OP. So if you wanted to see something like an old Manga Video release dusted of and made available again, that might be a good example of something to ask for.

I'd prefer not to get too deep into physical release formats, though. That sort of thing could be beyond the control of even a willing distributor. But maybe when the actual feature itself takes off, the benefits of HD over standard definition for any given show could be something we all discuss.

LtDiscotek said:
What about titles which were given VHS releases but no DVD or blu ray release?

Yep. Covered in the OP.

Basic rule of thumb: If it's presently unavailable in the UK, you can ask for it.

Thanks to everyone who's PMed a list of shows to me already. Keep 'em coming!

Also, if anyone's reading this thread and thinking 'I'd ask for a show, but somebody's probably already asked for it', don't let that stop you. If enough people ask for a specific show, there's a higher likelihood that I'll cover it in the feature when it comes to pass.

Would Movie/OVA episodes count as part of the main show or separately? Also, if we'd specifically want those included, should we note it in the PM or just put the show and hope for the best.

I have a specific example in mind, the main show was released in the UK (though might count as out of print) and is still kind of available on Region 1 DVD but the movies/specials weren't released in the west as far as I can tell (the movies/specials are around 30 minutes each if that helps, so they're basically extra episodes rather than full feature films).

I'll have a think about what I'd like in the list (I know a couple already). I know you said not to worry about formats too much but I think it'd make a difference for at least some of my choices (though I won't put any of that information into the PM unless you change your mind by the time I send it).

Smeelia said:
Would Movie/OVA episodes count as part of the main show or separately? Also, if we'd specifically want those included, should we note it in the PM or just put the show and hope for the best.

Really good point!

I'm gonna say yes, DEFINITELY differentiate in your lists between OVAs and series. And movies, come to think of it. That'll be really useful.

Would you prefer the English titles, Japanese titles or both where possible? Should we just use however we know a show and hope for the best? Would you prefer/accept the shortened version of titles for those with ridiculously long names (Light Novel adaptations and such)?

Also, would you prefer just one list per person or can we send more later?

I'm thinking what I'll do is ask for the thread to be closed or put out a 'no more lists' message at the end of the week. Until then, everyone should feel free to send in PMs with whatever they can think of.

As far as titles go, if you can give me english language titles, that'll be cool. But don't stress overly. At this stage, I just want to get a rough idea of what shows everybody would like to see released here.

Alright peepholes! Time for a little update, I think.

First of all, thanks to EVERYBODY who PMed me with lists of shows. I've already got a MASSIVE list of anime here, and I think I can confidently say that there's enough to get stuck into for my nefarious plans now. If you haven't sent a list yet, please do, by all means. I'm going to declare the thread closed on Friday, so no PMs after then, please. I'll amend the OP in due course.

One thing - I'm collating everybody's lists and spotting a few comments like 'this is out in the UK, but not on blu ray'. I've been removing those items from the list, as it's a fair way outside the remit of what I'm planning to do. BUT! I do hope everyone who's posted such a comment will continue to ask for those things elsewhere on the forum. Coz if you don't ask...

Okay everybody - final update from me on this:

Thanks, everyone - I've had an ENORMOUS response to this thread, and the lists and comments everyone has posted have been very, very helpful. There's more than enough to get on with here, so I'm going to decree that, as of now, no more lists please.

But if you're suddenly kicking yourself and saying 'dangit! I meant to ask for...' then don't worry. There'll be opportunities to speak up again if the feature goes off how I'm hoping it will.

And now begind the process of working out how to move forward with all this. Wtch this space, peepholes!

Back