Should i finish Rahxephon?

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
about 4 days ago i started to watch Rahxephon. So far ive watched the first 3 volumes, and in my honest oppinion it , to me, is nothing special. Infact i find it tedious as all hell. Another mind rape anime.

But should i continue to watch it? or should i just forget it?

I have this series to watch myself at some point down the line. I'm looking forward to watching it.

I'd say stick with it. I've done that with a few series in the past. Just get yourself in the right frame of mind and watch it from start to finish over a weekend.

I had the same feelings with Serial Experiments Lain. I watched it on and off and just couldn't get into it, so I decided to just watch it all over one night and really enjoyed it a lot.

In my honest opinion...stick with it, a lot of people disregard it out of hand with its many similarites to Eva but it's a different beast once you get into it and at its heart, its a love story...but with giant robots. The music on it is pretty good and there's a lot of good stuff in there for you, ep 19 especially.

sanji no 1 said:
about 4 days ago i started to watch Rahxephon. So far ive watched the first 3 volumes, and in my honest oppinion it , to me, is nothing special. Infact i find it tedious as all hell. Another mind rape anime.

Hopeful Monster once told me I should watch this series as it was Eva done the right way.

I watched it after that nice comment, after all I've loved Eva, despite its flaws.
After the start, where Rahxephon and Eva are the most alike, it started to deviate. One of the turn points was this little dialogue:
Ayato - He didn't have to phrase it so obnoxiously.
Haruka - Fight now, complain later.
Ayato - Okay Okay, one fat **** kicking coming up.

When some answer starts to come up, the show becomes epic as no other mecha show I've seen before.

If you're not enjoying it too much, you might as well jump ship. (I myself couldn't last more than two episodes of Noein, or three episodes of Infinite Ryvius.)

I did take an interest in RahXephon after a while, and the ending is, to its credit, quite memorable. In comparison to Eva however, I'm somewhat inclined to point out 'Xephon's weaknesses- as a romance it took too much time to fully develop, reaching the climax before I could appreciate the love between the two lead characters. (To this end, I still have issues with the finale.)

Try staying until episode 19 if you really can't make your mind up. If that episode affects you, consider going the distance.

RahXephon currently lies on my pile of unifinished anime. Usually when it gets there it means i never got the motivation to continue watching it.

Just remember you're supposed to be entertained by this stuff. There's no committee sitting over you telling you to finish watching it all and then shrug before saying 'eh, it was okay.'

(okay, i guess there is! But i say fight that power.)

I recently bought Rahxephon and I throughly enjoyed it from start to finish,without getting too much into debate over which is better I felt Rahxephon a more rounded series than Eva.Should you keep on watching?,well that's a personel decision you have to make but I think that after spending your hard-earned money to buy the series the very least you can do is too see the entire series though ,then at least you can decide if the show was good,bad or indifferent for yourself.

Urzu seven said:
I recently bought Rahxephon and I throughly enjoyed it from start to finish,without getting too much into debate over which is better I felt Rahxephon a more rounded series than Eva.Should you keep on watching?,well that's a personel decision you have to make but I think that after spending your hard-earned money to buy the series the very least you can do is too see the entire series though ,then at least you can decide if the show was good,bad or indifferent for yourself.

See that's the way i look at things like this i'll always see a show through to its end (when i get chance that is) I don't think i've actually stopped a show a few eps in

sanji no 1 said:

Ask yourself "How many series have I watched where the first half was boring (not slow, but actually boring) but the second half was really great?"

Hopeful Monster once told me I should watch this series as it was Eva done the right way.

After having listened to the below podcast I can't hold back on that point even though it's been argued to death. Anyone who holds the above quoted opinion didn't understand Eva at all. Eva is essentially a psycho-social commentary on Japan during the 90s recession. Is anyone going to claim that Xephon has ambitions that are even remotely similar? If it doesn't have such ambitions then in what way is it "Eva done the right way"?. I've seen a lot of people **** on Shangri-la lately which I agree isn't a great show but at least it makes an attempt at being speculative fiction. Rahxephon isn't doing anything that matters.

http://www.frontrowcrew.com/episodes/20 ... vangelion/

Well to be honest i never did finnish the series. i dont plan on re-watching it anytime soon. maybe ill wait a couple of months then watch it.

*sigh*

Man i thought i would of liked Rahxephon. I was waiting to see it and thought i would enjoy it. But no! It was like waiting for a buffalo to take a dump on my face!

Man i hate these try-to-be-smart shows where they confuse the hell out of you and your supposed to be like "Oh gee wiz that sure was a great complex show" its not cool to confuse the audience, Its ASS!!

But i great thanks to shows who replied.

Ark said:

After having listened to the below podcast I can't hold back on that point even though it's been argued to death. Anyone who holds the above quoted opinion didn't understand Eva at all. Eva is essentially a psycho-social commentary on Japan during the 90s recession.
Can't comment on what I haven't seen. I've wasn't in Japan on the 90's recession, so I don't know better. From watching Eva (and loving it, btw), I understood it was a psychological drama, with mecha and pseudo-religion stuff to link it all together.

Was Eva great? Yes I think it was. But, Rahxephon as a show entertained me a lot more. I've re-watched Eva several times, but haven't re-watched Rahxephon yet, but if the feeling after re-waching is still the same, I should probably consider it greater than Eva myself.

chaos said:
Ark said:

After having listened to the below podcast I can't hold back on that point even though it's been argued to death. Anyone who holds the above quoted opinion didn't understand Eva at all. Eva is essentially a psycho-social commentary on Japan during the 90s recession.
Can't comment on what I haven't seen. I've wasn't in Japan on the 90's recession, so I don't know better. From watching Eva (and loving it, btw), I understood it was a psychological drama, with mecha and pseudo-religion stuff to link it all together.

Was Eva great? Yes I think it was. But, Rahxephon as a show entertained me a lot more. I've re-watched Eva several times, but haven't re-watched Rahxephon yet, but if the feeling after re-waching is still the same, I should probably consider it greater than Eva myself.

My point was that they aren't artistically equivalent. Eva is saying something about human psychology as inspired by parts of Japanese society during the 90s. I haven't seen anyone claim that RahXephon is saying anything about anything.

That being the case how can people possibly say that Rah is "Eva done the right way"? That statement doesn't make any sense at all regardless of which one you prefer.

Ark said:
My point was that they aren't artistically equivalent. Eva is saying something about human psychology as inspired by parts of Japanese society during the 90s. I haven't seen anyone claim that RahXephon is saying anything about anything.
Elsewhere, I know of people who read 'Xephon as an expression of the immutability of love, and the sacrifices one would be willing to make for it.
I myself shrug off most of such allusions to 'human nature', both in RahXephon and Evangelion. I have found that viewing them in an academic light instils little pleasure and imparts but a pittance of insight. Putting heart before head is of greater merit, something which goes for a great many things.

Ark said:

That being the case how can people possibly say that Rah is "Eva done the right way"? That statement doesn't make any sense at all regardless of which one you prefer.
They are two mecha anime shows. People compare apples to pears, why wouldn't they compare two mecha shows?
Under the skin they are a lot more than that? Possibly true, but still i people want to compare things superficially they will, nothing you can do about it and raging about it will just get you a heart attack.

I accept your opinion about not understanding Eva. It's a great show, but it's confusing as nothing else. If I wanted to say Rah is Eva done right I feel like could say that (Even though that was someone's else's word on the show).

Eva is a mecha show / Rahxephon is a mecha show. As mecha shows, Rahxephon feels like it was done right.

sanji no 1 said:
IMO, there both ASS!!

I stick to manly mecha anime like Gurren Lagann
Err... ok.

Ark said:
Zin5ki said:
Elsewhere, I know of people who read 'Xephon as an expression of the immutability of love

Exactly. It's meaningless sentimental prattle that doesn't require any thinking.
Thinking is not entertainment to me, I gave up chess when I noticed how involved psychologically and mentally to the game, which actually ended with me exhausted rather than entertained.

I want my entertainment to disconnect me from thinking. That's where Rah does a whole lot better than Eva, if I needed a point to highlight.

chaos said:
They are two mecha anime shows. People compare apples to pears, why wouldn't they compare two mecha shows?

They shouldn't because they're in two different leagues of quality. Just because Godfather and Revolver are both gangster movies doesn't mean it makes sense to compare them. If it was RahXephon vs Big O you could make an arguement (though I'd still say Big O is better) but not RahXephon vs Eva. Personally i wouldn't even define either show primarily as Mecha as that genre tends to imply an emphasis on action.

chaos said:
I accept your opinion about not understanding Eva. It's a great show, but it's confusing as nothing else. If I wanted to say Rah is Eva done right I feel like could say that (Even though that was someone's else's word on the show).

Eva is a mecha show / Rahxephon is a mecha show. As mecha shows, Rahxephon feels like it was done right.

What you're saying is that one appealed to you more. That's your personal preference. What I'm disputing is the suggestion that Rah achieved something that Eva was trying to achieve but failed to. I don't know how anyone could see both shows and conclude that.

chaos said:
Thinking is not entertainment to me, I gave up chess when I noticed how involved psychologically and mentally to the game, which actually ended with me exhausted rather than entertained.

I want my entertainment to disconnect me from thinking. That's where Rah does a whole lot better than Eva, if I needed a point to highlight.

Again I'm not disputing your right to like one more than the other. That's not the issue.

Back