Shira Oka (Dating sim w/ some English anime VAs)

Reaper gI

Pokémon Master
http://www.shira-oka.com/
See title, fairly self explanatory. An original English language dating sim, with some known voice actors.
I don't know much either but it has a demo and is out in about a week via Impulse.

Cast list here, though a lot of psudonymns due to union rules.

Yes this is a dating sim, like Tokimemo (Tokimeki Memorial), not a VN.

Sounds different and interesting, could give Kotawa Shoujo a run for it's money, if of course they where trying to make a profit. In the hay days of dail-up, I would regualy download fan-based VN's from Ren'ai games (which is still active) for there small file size's and interesting content. The only thing I will disgree on is the use of english VA's, when I play my VN's or dating sims I'm more used to hearing a Japanese person talking with text underneth, kinda like watching a sub. We'll see how well the script and acting goes when it's realesed, which is what? next Saturday.

Also I done some digging up on those alaises:

Elle Deets is Laura Bailey
She used this name for playing Saboto in Dokuro-chan and Makie Otono-Tachibana in Blade of the Immortal.

Sophie B. however I've only come come across as Sophie B. Hawkins, which I fully doubt would be her. Strange thing is her roles aren't in the Chracter section
Also Jason Griff (blue Hedgehogs') would be more recnetly known if people watched Black God

Tried the demo way back when it was still in Beta and it seemed pretty promising during that time. the Voice Acting is pretty good aswell so i think this would be a good buy

Gameplay seems fine, premise is ok..

Now played the demo and it has a lot of faults:

Tl;dr version, needs the standard ADV options and controls added. Has all the faults (Americanisation) official anime subs tend to have. The art sucks balls.

long version:
It can't decide where it is set, it reads like an overlocalised dub script. Americanisations with Japanese setting (look at the cultural notes, they make me want to kill someone).
Mouse controls, this won't play properly with a gamepad(or keyboard), lack of proper text skip (have to hammer ENTER, instead of hold SHIFT)
Lack of sound and text options, can't change text colour, font, transparency etc. Can't mute individual characters.
Doesn't hide cursor on non-use
The sprites, oh god the sprites. They do everything wrong you possibly could, animated: lip synch, giant giant mouths, weak designs....
Poor event CG
Poor backgrounds
Needs character themes in the music.

Even without looking at the home page (which has put me off further) this seems like a bad idea before it gets started. To my mind, the crossover of hard-line dub fans and fans who play games like this is not so large.

Back