Shiki any good?

I always keep out for horror anime but this seems to have passed me by.

Just recently seen a trailer for it & it looks quite intriguing.

So I was just wondering if it was worth a watch?

Well, I watched it as people said that it was dark and there were a few scenes which left them shocked - which didn't phase me, it was too predictable and I didn't care about any of the characters until the end, but by that time It was too late for me - but as I said I have strange taste, so you will probably enjoy it.

The opening was good though.

lets just say it will leave you either shocked or laughing depending on who's side you choose, me it left me shocked, as much as i hated on how things went in the last 10-8 episodes, other then that its a great series

I really enjoyed it. The series has a very slow build, and the action doesn't kick off for a good 8 or 9 episodes, but once the slow start is over it's quite thrilling. I found one scene in particular quite distressing, but overall it wasn't horrific in terms of violence.

Part 1 arrived this morning, but have had company all day so haven't been able to check it out until now. I shall report back...

I really enjoyed it when I watched it a while back. Takes a little while to get going, which I think is perhaps because we the audience already know what is happening to a certain extent so watching the characters slowly discover it is a bit jarring.

Quick view after episode 1. I'm intrigued, but importantly I like how it looks. I think it has very striking art design and even though I only have dvd quality pictures it positively glows on my sexy LED TV. Anyway, lets see how the story develops.

robot monkey said:
Thanks all for your views on it.

Without spoilering does it attempt anything original or different with the vampire genre in anime?

Hmm, now I think on it I can't say I've seen a whole lot of Anime vampire stuff. It's certainly not anything like Hellsing. If anything it feels measured and down to earth, like the events could actually happen in real life. Plus there's an absolute cracker of a turn of events that really ramps things up nearer the end.

Worst case scenario, CEX will give you £11 cash or £16 exchange at the moment

Watched the first six episode and really enjoyed it, despite the blurb on the back of the box giving away ALL the twists so far. I don't mind that the pace has been slow because I like things like the snapshots of rural life and the death customs etc. I assume it's set in the past as there are no cellphones, the store rents out VHS tapes and one kid plays what looks like a Master System mk1. or that could be a sly way of emphasising just how cut off the village really is... anyway saving episodes 7-12 for tommorrow and have bought part 2 from amazon just now.

Also. Wow, that is anime hair! I haven't seen this much crazy hair in a show since YuGiOh!

EDIT: eps 7-12 are good too. Glad I have the next volume on its way already.

Shiki is a great show. It's a genuine horror anime, something I find very lacking in anime (certainly compared with manga). It's got a great slow build and can be very creepy and unnerving at times. I'd say it is something different in terms of the overall vampire genre, yet retains a lot of the classic hallmarks, if anything I'd call it "modern gothic" in terms of story and style.

Yeah I picked up to two parts seperately this week. Part 2 arrived today but too tired to concentrate this evening. The two individual parts don't list it as being any season/series. Just part 1 and 2 (I finally managed to read. Red writing on black makes my eyes cross).

robot monkey said:
Oddly on Amazon it appears cheaper to buy the two parts separately rather than the complete series. Also it lists it as season one, is there another?

Just one season.

I'm confused as to why they added the season 1 to the complete set. It wraps up very nicely with little to no angle for a 2nd season.

Back