She, The Ultimate Weapon

Nemphtis

Hunter
Sorry, there weren't any 'official' topics on this Anime in this section except for the one topic in the 'Anime Recomendation' forum but that's seperate. I just finished watching the first volume just now and I've got to say it's very interesting. The good parts about the series I've seen so far is how like Gunslinger Girl it doesn't focus on the fighting or action, but the relationship between the two people involved in it. I think it's fair to say that after watching the first volume I don't think this series is too much like Gunslinger Girl contrary to what my friends told me.

The animation is nice, and for a 12 rated DVD it involves things I wasn't expecting, nothing flashy or nude but subjects I didn't think they'd cover, basically. The only things that have annoyed me so far is the voice dubbing which feels a bit fake, and also there is no subtitles when there's something written in Japanese. So you have to pause the episode, put subtitles on, read what it says and then turn it off otherwise you won't understand sh*t.

I look forward to buying the second volume now, I think this series will do me good. It's a bit depressing but more than anything it's cute, and rather than feeling sad like after watching Gunslinger Girl, you feel more relaxed and in peace like when you're thinking "Awww, that's nice..." rather than "Damn... That's so cruel and sad...". So, let's discuss this series properly for the first time, has anyone else got the first volume and what do you think of it?

I got all the R1 DVD's an I have to say I liked it. But I wont be watching it for a while though as it left me feeling I dont know kinda dead inside I would say. Thats how it left me after watching it anyway it just messes with my head an feelings (was on a downer for a couple days after till I watched something happy :D ) So I would warn you prepair yourself for one hell of an ending! :cry:

I know exactly what you mean, when you watch series' like Gunslinger Girl & Saikano you feel depressed for a day or two and you can't get over it. I was the same with Evangelion as well, after Kaji died I went downhill.

I'm glad this series will do that for me too, because even though it's not a great feeling. I still like feeling it every now and then, it's what made me love Gunslinger Girl really, the fact it touched me so much. I hope this series can do the same, or even better maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy asks the girl - "Is it ok?" - and she replies "Yes, you're going to die soon anyway"

I couldn't help, but laugh loudly, really loud =)

I'm six episodes into She and find it a very interesting watch. As you said the fact that the fighting has taken a backseat to Chise's and Shuji's relationship has drawn me into it even more, and yes it makes me feel sad (among other things) as I watch events unfold on screen.

I haven't seen Gunslinger Girl and only bits of Evangelion, but I get the same feeling watching She as when I watched Voices of a Distant Star & The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Again both these Anime concentrate on the relationship of the main characters with the backdrop of War etc... taking the backseat again.

I'm currently watching Crest of the Stars along side She, CotS is slightly more upbeat and She more melancholy, but both IMHO are of equal stature.

I bought the box set of She, the Ultimate Weapon and have the OAV 'Another Love Song' to look forward to once I've sat through the series. Happy times even if it makes me feel sad.

Mr B said:
I bought the box set of She, the Ultimate Weapon and have the OAV 'Another Love Song' to look forward to once I've sat through the series. Happy times even if it makes me feel sad.

you will love it :) It made my short list of best animes ever.

Saikano will make you cry like a little baby at the end (well it did with me!) Shame its so depressing but without giving anything away the whole plot doesnt really take off, it just stays sad the entire way through thats not to say its a bad thing its quite original in developing the feelings between the main protagonists, it just needed some twists to make it a top notch above some of the other anime's on my list...

i've ordered, this and cant wait for it to come.

just wanna say, i didnt want to read this thread, but you guys did leave it quite spolier free!

Kendarr said:
i've ordered, this and cant wait for it to come.

just wanna say, i didnt want to read this thread, but you guys did leave it quite spolier free!

It's great, as long as you're not expecting an action packed series :)
Replay rate is also high in my opinion, enjoy and let me know what you think about it.

After a month i finally went back and watched the oav,i was actually a little suprised that it was canon to the series,but i still enjoyed it.Overall i think it's one of the best series i've seen in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive finshed watching this and i'd like to say....what a let down...

this anime had some powerfull moments, but tbh i would'nt even give it 5 out of 10!

Gonna watch this next myself. I picked the thin pack set up in HMV Newry for £15/€20 at the weekend, a hell of a lot better than the €80/£60 Tower Records are charging in Dublin.

I was wondering about getting this whilst i was in London. Tis only something like £15 on HMV for the entire series plus OVA (at least the shop i was in)

So would people recommend it? For the record i loved Gunslinger Girl, depressing and lacking action (which at first was a shock to me given the name!) but overall a very fulfilling series. After getting the Heat Guy set ive been on the lookout for cheap yet long series and i need something else to pass my time.
My only question is do they lay the cuteness level on a lil too much for what seems like a pretty serious topic?

Liquid Skin said:
I was wondering about getting this whilst i was in London. Tis only something like £15 on HMV (at least the shop i was in)

So would people recommend it? For the record i loved Gunslinger Girl, depressing and lacking action (which at first was a shock to me given the name!) but overall a very fulfilling series. After getting the Heat Guy set ive been on the lookout for cheap yet long series and i need something else to pass my time.
My only question is do they lay the cuteness level on a lil too much for what seems like a pretty serious topic?

Yes, I 'd definitely recommend for fans of gunsliger girl... It's an awesome series. The cute level on she is a lot lower than on gunslinger girl, so you should be fine =)

I wouldn't say it's cute. The animation style is somewhat different and doesn't (or at least for me) give it a cute feel, as something like, say, Kanon or Air does (even though those two aren't particularly "happy" anime either).

It's pretty depressing stuff, but very good.

I picked up the complete collection of this show when it first came out (a bargain £10 on pre-order) and even now I'm not entirely sure what I think about it. I found the episodes to be kind of hit or miss, some grabbing my attention with there being no chance of me being able to watch just a single episode in a sitting; whilst at other times they just dragged and didn't seem to progress the story much. Of course I've learnt to show a bit more patience with my anime since then so maybe this wont be as much of a hang up for me on a re-watch.

And it is a show that is definitely worth a re-watch. Overall I'd say my impressions are generally positive as when the show is good it is good there's no doubt about it. Good story and a cast that you'll feel for and some genuinely touching moments - good show.

There the same one amazon just aren't particularly good at keeping tabs on extras, so don't worry about having to mess with changing over orders - if you haven't already.
Though i don't know why they keep showing that particular image as the artwork on the box looks nothing like that.

I picked up the boxset for £20 in HMV ages ago. Got around to watching the first 8 episodes on Monday. Found it good and also sad. I'd grow use to the blushing characters, and then suddenly become aware of it again :lol: Though the total lack of explanation as to how Chise became what she is (so far) does leave me a bit annoyed.

Back