Season 8 Doctor Who trailer

I'm really psyched for this - especially after seeing the trailer.

I loved the Matt Smith era - but the last season was one of the worst since the series returned, without a doubt.

Capaldi coming in is the kick up the behind the show feels like it needs at the moment.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Dr. Who? I feel like I'm probably missing out on something, but I can never work out what.

ilmaestro said:
Can someone explain to me the appeal of Dr. Who? I feel like I'm probably missing out on something, but I can never work out what.
New Who is an odd one. My sister loves it so I've ended up watching a fair bit at her behest, and we're usually together at Christmas when the specials are on so I've seen most of those. I think it's gotten better (which a lot of people in the fandom seem to disagree with, but then I wouldn't really count myself in with them) because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than pulp sci-fi entertainment any more, not to be taken particularly seriously.

You know that episode of Red Dwarf with the adventures of Ace Rimmer at the start? If I watch Dr. Who thinking that's what I'm watching, something ridiculous and devoid of all realism but entertaining nonetheless, I can enjoy it quite a lot.

ilmaestro said:

The main reason is that it's brilliant - but as a fan of the show, it's easy to say that.

In all seriousness though - I think a key reason, these days especially, is that it's one of only a few home-grown sci-fi shows the UK puts out. It helps that it sells massively abroad too - it's one of the BBC's biggest earners, Top Gear aside. It also costs the most to make - so the high production values really stand out amongst other British telly (sure I read some stat a while back that said each ep costs a million quid to make).

New Who (since it returned in 2005) often divides opinion amongst older fans - it can be very up and down at times.

Old Who (from 1963-1989) is well worth checking out though, as a lot of it is very 'classic hard-core sci-fi' in tone - much more so than the new series has ever been. It practically invented the whole 'base under attack from monsters, how long can they hold out' style story for the telly medium.

Weirdly as well - I kind of preferred the weekly, 30 minute format it had back in the old days. It was almost like anime, where you'd have a serial/story arc running over anywhere between 4-10 thirty minute eps, meaning every ep ended in a cliffhanger (something that's sadly been lost in the 45 minute shows these days).

If I had to recommend only a handful of stories, I'd go for The Caves of Androzani, Remembrance of the Daleks and Survival (I'm a big fan of 80s Who, though others absolutely hate that era)

Hmm, interesting to here two opinions from different sides of the viewer base. If it's easily available on Netflix or something I'll try to check out a few episodes.

I enjoyed Saturdays episode :)

I'm not a big Doctor fan in the first place having seen less than 20 eps my entire life haha but I enjoyed it and the franchise nonetheless.

Back