Satoshi Kon on Blu-Ray

Do Manga still have the rights to those? Millennium Actress at least is OOP now isn't it?

You probably shouldn't pester anyone, but you could give them a little poke. MVM, Manga and AL all have threads here that representatives of those companies read and occasionally post in. I've mentioned the idea of a Kon movies set around Anime Limited before (dropping hints) given that they released Perfect Blue on BD, which also used to be a Manga licence.

ayase said:
Do Manga still have the rights to those? Millennium Actress at least is OOP now isn't it?

I think Millennium Actress is but I'm sure Tokyo Godfathers is still in print. I'm not entirely sure how rights work so IDK if it going out of print means they no longer have the rights or not.

OOP usually means they no longer have the rights. I seem to remember Anime Ltd. hinting that they'd like to release Millennium Actress.

As far as I can tell, the rights for Tokyo Godfathers are with Sony rather than Manga.

Yami said:
As far as I can tell, the rights for Tokyo Godfathers are with Sony rather than Manga.
It is.

ayase said:
Manga have confirmed they no longer have it (I don't seem to have a source link, but they confirmed they no longer had Perfect Blue at the same time so it was definitely before Anime Limited announced that one)

Tokyo Godfathers is coming to Blu-ray via Umbrella Entertainment (Australia) :)

If you're thinking of getting Tokyo Godfathers, you should be aware of some Defective or Disappointing issues with the release. The first thing is that Umbrella Ent have done a Cowboy Bebop with this one. The only audio track is a Dolby Digital 5.1 Japanese track, albeit at 640kbps.

The second thing is that it is double window-boxed. Films used to be window-boxed to compensate for overscan on CRT TVs (you can switch overscan off with HD panels), indeed the UK Tokyo Godfathers DVD is windowboxed. It looks as if Umbrella have taken the windowboxed image on Tokyo Godfathers and windowboxed it again. On my 38" panel, it looks as if there is a two inch black border all around the film. If I turn overscan on, I'm left with a one-inch border. And it's not a great looking transfer to begin with.

But, you do get a wodge load of extra features, over an hour worth, that weren't on the UK Standard DVD (they were on the Limited Edition).

Back