Sailor Moon.....for gals only?

Ninja Boy!

Thousand Master
hey gals and guys
(i tried searching for a releated topic but couldnt find one, so if there is one i missed then sorry)

i have seen lots of sailor moon some years ago, and last month ago i started to download them because i thought the show was a classic (and also downloading all the series i used to watch when i was younger which i enjoyed). it was simple and was simply... a great series imo.

however due to the nature of the show, being all gals and stuff, and i being a guy.
i was just curious is this show aimed at the female audience only, or both :?:
just a curiosity....

The original manga was a shoujo (girls') manga but that by no means limited its audience to girls, just the demographic that the original work was aimed at. The anime got made into a slightly more boy-friendly show than that so it is certainly not just girls' stuff.

this is cool i guess. cos for a second i was like....why am i watching an anime aimed at girls,,,,well, its just one of those weird things people think of. (and i actually researched on the net a lot as to weather it was aimed fully at girls, but all the statistics i got were saying that most of the audience watching it were boys, so looks like i am kool :) )

I guess it depends on what you like in an anime and although the beautiful warriors of justice is a wonderful thing for girls, there's plenty of the cute girls aspect that could appeal to guys. Really though, it's like saying DBZ (example only) is a fighting anime for guys and so girls shouldn't watch it, but I personally love a good fight anime (fist fights are the best kind, but add a few super powers and I'm there :lol: ).
It's really all down to personal taste and not whether a guy should or shouldn't watch a shoujo anime.

I'm presently downloading them by bittorrent, due to the memory of seeing them on fox kids back in 2001. I don't think it is overly for 'girls' though if there is one good thing to say about the english dub it is that i felt it made it even less for them (Then again, it did just make it a lot worse overall) But its much wider appeal i think has already proved that i would think.

I have more issues these days with the 'monster of the week' format than anything else. That didn't bother the 17 year old me who had never seen an anime series before, only films, but that bothers the 22 year old me with epic series like Escaflowne, Haibane renmei et all on the shelf. But even so there is some great stuff to be had - the last 8 episodes of Sailor Moon R are amongst the best things i have seen in anime anywhere, and bits and pieces of S have nearly got to that level as well. Its massively inconsistent in quality, but when it hits the mark, it really hits the mark!

Warmaster said:
I'm presently downloading them by bittorrent, due to the memory of seeing them on fox kids

same here :) (i got season 1, and even though its the dvd version the quality is appauling. looks like all those hate towards the uncut adv dvd versions were true.) (i'm currently downloading R (man its taking so long)

Ninja Boy! said:
Warmaster said:
I'm presently downloading them by bittorrent, due to the memory of seeing them on fox kids

same here :) (i got season 1, and even though its the dvd version the quality is appauling. looks like all those hate towards the uncut adv dvd versions were true.) (i'm currently downloading R (man its taking so long)

I got Classic, R and S in about a week each - but Super S has been going for 3 weeks!!!! up to 96.4% though :roll:

Warmaster said:
I have more issues these days with the 'monster of the week' format than anything else.
If it hadn't been fleshed out with the monster of the week scenarios, it would most likely have been a 26 episode series!!
One of the most appealing aspects of magical girl anime are the monsters, without them, there wouldn't be as much of an excuse for extra storyline. I can't think of any magical girl anime without a monster of the week to be honest (even Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie had a monster scenario and that's a whole 1 (one) episode magical girl anime :lol:).

Miaka-chan said:
Warmaster said:
I have more issues these days with the 'monster of the week' format than anything else.
If it hadn't been fleshed out with the monster of the week scenarios, it would most likely have been a 26 episode series!!
One of the most appealing aspects of magical girl anime are the monsters, without them, there wouldn't be as much of an excuse for extra storyline. I can't think of any magical girl anime without a monster of the week to be honest (even Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie had a monster scenario and that's a whole 1 (one) episode magical girl anime :lol:).

Perhaps, but look at the last 8 episodes of R - It was still monster of the week, but it actually had a continual plot. Hence why those episodes are my favorite Sailor moon by far so far.

Hence you can do monster of the week and overarching plot, its just they couldn't be arsed half the time! :roll:

Warmaster said:
Miaka-chan said:
Warmaster said:

Perhaps, but look at the last 8 episodes of R - It was still monster of the week, but it actually had a continual plot. Hence why those episodes are my favorite Sailor moon by far so far.

Hence you can do monster of the week and overarching plot, its just they couldn't be arsed half the time! :roll:
Sailor Moon was extremely popular in its day and because of that the producers were under pressure to lengthen it somewhat outside of the context of the manga, which is why there is a lot of monster of the week filler. Also remember that the first section of R (Eli and En and the Cardians or whatever they called them) was completely filler because the manga for it was still being written at the time. It was only after that the actual R story got underway.

Gawyn said:
Sailor Moon was extremely popular in its day and because of that the producers were under pressure to lengthen it somewhat outside of the context of the manga, which is why there is a lot of monster of the week filler. Also remember that the first section of R (Eli and En and the Cardians or whatever they called them) was completely filler because the manga for it was still being written at the time. It was only after that the actual R story got underway.

I don't think you'll find that's the only reason, as it was a feature common to ALL early magical girl anime. Card Captor Sakura and Wedding Peach are also examples of magical girl anime with monsters of the week and I think it's more to flesh out the story than anything. It would all be over too quickly otherwise ^__^ I think it was also to give more life to the villans, as well as the good guys.

BTW Ail and An (Doom Tree arc) were not created by Naoko Takeuchi at all. The writer of the first movie, with Fiore, wrote the Doom Tree arc. I think he just had a passion for his character Fiore and wanted to expand on his background etc.

Warmaster said:

The end of all Sailor Moon seasons dull down the monsters, as there is no need for further fleshing out of the story and it needs to concetrate on the main characters. It has nothing to do with not being arsed! Imagine monsters cropping up after Mistress 9 or Pharoh 90 appear on the scene in "S", there would be just no point to it. You don't need monsters when Nehelania finally makes her move in SuperS, or when Galaxia does her "thing" at the end of Stars.
I do think though, that Stars could have done with a few less monsters and then perhaps it could have incorporated all the characters that were omitted; I would have loved to have seen Heavy Metal Papillon animated ^__^

Miaka-chan said:
BTW Ail and An (Doom Tree arc) were not created by Naoko Takeuchi at all. The writer of the first movie, with Fiore, wrote the Doom Tree arc. I think he just had a passion for his character Fiore and wanted to expand on his background etc.
That is what I said by stating it was filler because the manga that the series was going to be based upon wasn't finished so they created something to tide things over until it was...

Gawyn said:
Miaka-chan said:
That is what I said by stating it was filler because the manga that the series was going to be based upon wasn't finished so they created something to tide things over until it was...

Thats partially why i think R worked, because it had two arcs, and the main arc had several different plots over its length, which meant things were kept interesting.

S on the other hand, which i finally finished watching today, i am massively disapointed with considering many keep saying it is the best. I have two issues. One the ending wasn't all that amazing, not up to that of the classic series, and not remotely near that of R. Secondly they ran the entire 'pure hearts' plot into the ground, killed it, disemboweled it, then started flogging it again to last out the series. There simply was not enough to last the length there to me. Worse though was the rapid killing off of the Witches 5 in the last few episodes. Padding out a story far to far is one thing, but then realising you are out of time and need to kill off lots of people quick at the end simply is disgraceful. Hence, despite a huge amount of promice, and some great characters, i am muchly disapointed.

Ah well, there Is Super S and Sailor Stars yet :roll:

Gawyn said:
Miaka-chan said:
I don't think it had anything to do with the manga not being written, it was purely the anime creators passion for the children of the Doom Tree.
One thing of interest to note is Vampyre (the cardian monster), it was Megumi Ogata's first seiyuu role and she went on the play Sailor Uranus and Shinji in EVA ^__^

Warmaster said:
Ah well, there Is Super S and Sailor Stars yet :roll:
If you liked Chibi Moon you'll be alright for SuperS, if you didn't though, you could have a problem :lol:
I personally love Chibi-usa and her relationship with Pegasus in SuperS.

Stars is by far the best of all the Sailor Moon seasons; the girls look sexier and of course there's the Three Lights and Sailor Star Lights and no Tuxedo Mask - yay :lol:

Back