Sad Anime

Sayo

Brigade Leader
I really enjoyed watching Clannad and Kanon
They were quite upsetting but the general themes of these animes were just amazing
I would like any recommendations for anime similar to these two
Thanks

all of makoto shinkai's films except children who chase lost voices.

heck, he did the game it's based on's OP, ef~a tale of memories/melodies as well.

Air and Angel Beats are from the same writer as Kanon and Clannad.

For romance that lacks the fantasy elements of the above but not the potential to make you bawl like a baby, try Rumbling Hearts (aka Kimi ga Nozomu Eien). And I second the recommendations for the Shinki films, particularly Voices of a Distant Star and 5cm Per Second.

animefreak17 said:
grave of the fireflys
bearfoot gen

Might just be me, but while I found the concept of Barefoot Gen brilliant, the execution, in particular the cutesy character design and the rather joyous music jarred and spoilt the seriousness of the underlying story. The actual bomb scene though, superbly done.

GotF though... totally and utterly heart-wrenching, right from the opening scene.

Seconding the shout for Air and Angel Beats, both have their moments.

And thirding the shout for Shinkai, especially Voices from a Distant Star and the stunning 5cm Per Second. The latter I've re-watched countless times and it always, always gets to me.

If you go through Grave of the Fireflies without crying or even feeling really down...you have no soul. Simple as that.

I was an emotional wreck after watching Nobody's Boy Remi but still one of the finest and most beautiful series ever created also a mention has to go to Dog of Flanders just one bad thing after another and then that ending,still makes me cry buckets every time.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I guess I should add now that I find a lot of things sad, just finished Mirai Nikki and possibly cried more than five times throughout the whole thing. ._.

Now and Then, Here and There is the most gut-wrenching anime I have ever watched, but it's very much worth the journey. For relentless misery, try Gilgamesh. AnoHana is also quite the emotional journey, as are pretty much any of Makoto Shinkai's works.

I watched about 10mins of Grave of the Fireflies and turned it off, it was way too depressing for me. I don't think I could ever get through it. Shame coz I love the animation on it.

I would second Now and Then, Here and There, I did enjoy that one.

Hoshi no Koe is incredibly emotional for a 24 minute piece.

I find heavily nostalgic works like Omoide Poroporo to be very sad in their own way, too, but ymmv.

You guys probably know what I am gonna say, but I'll say it anyway, heh.

From the end of episode 8 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica I was a blubbering, weepy mess. Everytime I calmed down the show would punch me in the feels again and again. It took several rewatches before I could make it through without tearing up.

I'll agree with Angel Beats and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, since your taste seems quite similar to mine. Also, from what I've heard about Rumbling Hearts it sounds great as well. It's on my to buy list.

@PandoraHane

yeah about Rumbling Hearts theres a lot of mixed feeling about that series, i personal didn't like it but who knows you might like it.

Back