Rupert Sanders to direct Ghost in the Shell live-action film

Ath

Pokémon Master
Are you ready for a Ghost in the Shell movie from the director of Snow White and the Huntsman?

DreamWorks has made a deal with Snow White And The Huntsman helmer Rupert Sanders to direct Ghost In The Shell, a live-action film based on the Japanese manga futuristic police thriller that has a new script from William Wheeler. The film is being produced by Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul. Fueled by the personal passion of Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks acquired the project several years ago with ambitious plans to shoot it in 3D.

Re: Rupert Sanders to direct Ghost in the Shell live-action

This will go the usual two ways that others have gone so far. Either be "adapted" in the usual Americanised, localised, pool of slurry bollox, or not get made at all. I vote for the latter.

I'm guessing there probably try a matrix style which the matrix got from ghost in the shell

Richard Epcar needs to be cast as Batou. As well as playing Batou in almost everything, I'm confident he could actually pull off the role physically.

Hard to say exactly how this will play out. I think this is likely to move a bit further forward than any previous attempts; Sanders doesn't have a lot on his schedule right now, according to IMDB all he's attached to is a film called The Juliet due 2015 (and there's little to no info on it so he may not even do that). His name has been banded about for the odd potential film here and there, but he never seems to make the cut and the Snow White & the Huntsman sequel is still up in the air and not looking like moving forward any time soon. So he's pretty much in the clear to do it and unlikely to drop out. Visually I thought SW&TH was interesting (even if it did owe a bit to LOTR and, imo, Princess Mononoke, so don't be surprised if Sanders comes out and says he's a fan of anime). Script wise his film wasn't the greatest, solid most of the time, but working with a strong script from a decent screenwriter(s) would give him more to work with.

My own preference for a Ghost in the Shell movie would be Darren Aranofsky. Visually he's brilliant (and not adverse to "borrowing" from anime) and he'd be a great match for exploring the themes of GITS like humanity/existentialism. But I think we'll see this film come to fruition with Sanders, the real questions will be over the casting choices: Do they stay Japanese? (No, none of them will. Sad but true. Names all changed obviously). Will the Major stay a woman? (Tough to call, could go either way with Hollywood). And who exactly do they cast then? (My guess as to the shortlist Hollywood would draw up would include: Natalie Portman, Emily Blunt, Scarlett Johansson, Kristin Stewart and possibly Gina Carano. Assuming the Major stays female. None of those choices would be particularly overwhelming for me though).

Mohawk52 said:
This will not get made at all.

Came here to post this.

I think GitS stands more chance of being made than the likes of Akira or Bubblegum Crisis, but based on the apparent inabilty of anything except Dragonball to actually make it to release, I see no reason to believe it's happening until the evidence is overwhelming.

If I remember correctly, Sanders' wife has forbidden him from ever working with Kristin Stewart again, for obvious reasons. I would have personally said Scarlett Johansson would have been a good casting, but it may be too familiar ground for her due to her role as Black Widow. I have yet to see Gina Carano outside of a Wikipedia picture, but she does have an appearance that would suit the Major.

If this film was made about ten years ago and if the film went with Oshii's interpretation of the character, I wouldn't have minded Schwarzenegger as Batou, but he's too old now and I think I'd prefer the character's personality from the manga and SAC. I'd love to see Richard Epcar play him (I think he could pull him off physically as well) - in fact, Epcar retweeted a tweet I made about it xD.

Also, Section 9 will become a U.S. government division too.

It's been so long since I have heard anything new about this film I had forgotten it even existed.

The problem is for this to do the source material any kind of justice it's going to need an Avatar sized budget & I just cannot see any studio risking that kind of money on something that they are bound to regard as something of a risky property to adapt for live action.

Joshawott said:
If I remember correctly, Sanders' wife has forbidden him from ever working with Kristin Stewart again, for obvious reasons. I would have personally said Scarlett Johansson would have been a good casting, but it may be too familiar ground for her due to her role as Black Widow. I have yet to see Gina Carano outside of a Wikipedia picture, but she does have an appearance that would suit the Major.

I don't ever actually remember hearing the Stewart stuff. Fantastic! :lol: The familiar ground as Black Widow is exactly why I think the studio would probably have her as a candidate. Hollywood thinks once we've seen something once we want to see it again and again. Carano has the look, is slowly building up her acting CV with similar female action roles (see that thing about familiarity again) and would be relatively cheap to hire.

Schwarzenegger as Batou.

Holy crap! :eek: Why didn't I think of that?! Splendid casting, man is never too old for anything. I don't care what else happens to this film if Arnie is cast as Batou Hollywood can shut up and take my money. To hell with it, you tweeted Epcar, I'm tweeting Arnie.

Well, there is one Batou line I could picture Arnie saying.

1160019129075.jpg

They should cast the woman who played Saya in Blood The Last Vampire as the Major.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Ji-hyun

I'd love Batou to be Richard but I doubt it would happen. Surprisngly yeah, maybe I would like Arnie in the role.

As for Togusa, have Crispin Freeman grow his hair and CAST HIM!

Back