Rozen Maiden

Miaka-chan

Stand User
Gotta be the cutest but deadliest dolls you're ever likely to see!

Meet Jun Sakura, a young boy with agraphobia, who spends his whole life buying "stuff" off of the internet. One day a package arrives for him which he never ordered, inside he finds a beautiful, fragile looking porcelain doll but she is not what she seems and after winding her key, she comes to life. Meet Shinku a very snotty, sophisticated humanesque doll who is dressed in very gothic lolita style clothing and loves to drink black tea! Jun is forced to be her medium and the story of Jun, Shinku and 4 other kawaii dolls unfolds :D

I thoroughly enjoyed this anime, it has a good plot (I mean who can resist the cutest dolls ever fighting over who stole a strawberry and then having an all out food fight :lol: ). The story explores Juns psychological problems and has a reasonable amount of comedy eliment along with the angst and bitterness. The ending was stunning and sad. I will never look at my dolls in the same light ever again :lol:

Ramen89 said:
I watched the first few episodes of it but kind of got dis-interested in it.

I'd say it is more female/kids orientated but has a wonderful twist and gets more interesting as it goes on (I nearly gave up at episode 2 but I was watching it with my 13 year old daughter and it REALLY grew on me :D ).

Ramen89 said:
Its kind of weird though isnt it.

Define weird :lol: Kidding!
It's different is how I would say it but different in a good way :D
It seems very hard at the moment to actually find something that you can't aliken to something else but I have definitely never seen one like Rozen Maiden before - very interesting concept and as I said, it gets really good and has a wonderful twist to the tale at the end :D

I think I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it went through!!

WARNING - SPOILER IF YOU READ ANY FURTHER!!

Ok! basically 3 more cute little dolls arrive in various ways (want their names?) at Jun's house, 2 of them are twins, one is mischievious (this is where the food fight comes into it!!).
There is a 4th doll who is completely evil and does battle with Shinku to win her soul basically, as the belief of all of the dolls is if one of them defeats the rest she alone will be able to meet their father/creator but they have to prove themselves to be perfect and flawless.
As you've seen a couple of episodes, you will know than Jun is Shinku's medium? and because he cares deeply for her his power enables her to defeat Suigin Tou (the 4th evil doll).
Both Shinku and Suigin Tou want to become Alice (the perfect doll) and this is why they fight, in the end Shinku wins and you find out that Suigin Tou was imperfect as she'd never been completed and the entire of her middle torso was missing (you find this out when Shinku sets her on fire and all her clothes burn away revealing just the body). This is the point at which I say it's sad because if you actually watch the whole thing, you truly hate Suigin Tou for what she does to the other 4, but you realise at the end she did it because she believed if she became "Alice" she would their Father/Creator in the hopes, I guess, he would finish making her

If there's anything else you want to know - ask!!

Hopefully that won't show up to anyone else who doesn't want to know!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Miaka-chan said:
Ramen89 said:
Its kind of weird though isnt it.

Define weird :lol: Kidding!
It's different is how I would say it but different in a good way :D
It seems very hard at the moment to actually find something that you can't aliken to something else but I have definitely never seen one like Rozen Maiden before - very interesting concept and as I said, it gets really good and has a wonderful twist to the tale at the end :D

I think I gave up on this by the third episode, it didn't really grab me as much as other series have.
There is a sort of sub-category that this fits in, I'm not sure if it has a name but basically the main male character has the main female character forced upon him and is usually reluctant or has problems adjusting to it. You've got examples with Chobits, DearS, Final Approach and I think even things like Tenchi and Oh My Goddess might fall into it?
Would you agree?
Though in this case the female isn't the usual cutesy loved-up character, Shinku's pretty icy!
I don't think I disliked the show so much as decided that I was watching so many shows simultaneously that some had to be sacrificed.

Back