Rival Schools

LukasROAR

Straw Hat Pirate
United by Fate and Project Justice

How many others out there played/loved this series?

I’d go as far as to say Rival Schools (and the sequel Project Justice) are my favourite beat em up series. Yeah I love Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter as I grew up on them but this series actually added some depth, storyline and dialogue that’s not just limited to a line, which for me made this series rather unique at the time.

So what was so great about it? Well the battle system for one was awesome, I think it may have been the first game I played to feature character swapping & team ups. It was simple to play and whole lot of fun.

I just loved the story and the multiple schools and characters you could play as. It gave it so much more replay value and from what I understand the Japanese got far more content than we did.

There was a character here for everyone, someone to choose based on yourself or just a cool looking ass kicker. The character designs were amazing and looked awesome, it would have made a fantastic anime series but sadly they missed the boat on that one.

I also read the comics released by Udon publishing which were a lot of fun. I just don’t understand why we never got a 3rd instalment of this popular selling series with only a handful of characters ever appearing again in Capcom vs and All Star games. No more Akira, Edge and Shoma makes me very sad indeed.

I’ve been clamouring for a HD remake/release on PS3 or 360 for years but apparently due to some ridiculous music rights it would be almost impossible for a European release. Surprisingly the PS1 original is available on PSN Japan, so if you can buy Sony Asia points and change your DSN settings you might be in luck…but for the time being no Project Justice.

The creator keeps teasing an RS3 but I’m not confident it will ever happen (same as a HD remake/sequel to Shenmue).

Just thought I’d create this thread to see if anyone else out there is just as passionate about this amazing series as I am.

Not as passionate as you sound by any means, but I played a ton of Rival Schools 2 on Dreamcast. The combo system was extremely fun, and everything about the game just worked together in a really satisfying way.

At least getting Batsu in Tatsunoko vs Capcom was a thing that happened!

Someone said Shenmue?*cough*http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III*cough*

I used to have the first game on PS1 and really enjoyed it. The character designs were really fun, and the game in general was just very fun and satisfying as Ilmae said. Never did play the second unfortunately though, but I'd certainly welcome some more Rival Schools.

I've got Project Justice on Dreamcast. I'm not really into beat em ups so I buy them for the art style and the music which is why I love a lot of the Dreamcast fighters like Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Capcom vs SNK (on the Gamecube) and Project Justice. The music and the arenas and characters were imaginative, bright and cheery and I loved listening to the music so much I went and got some of the OST.

Back