Ridley Scott to direct new Blade Runner film

ayase

State Alchemist
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14586762

It's a popular film and I know it has it's fans and critics here so, thoughts? Quite how anyone (let alone Scott himself) thinks a new Blade Runner can live up to the original is beyond me. Shades of Indiana Jones, but worse as it's not even going to have Harrison Ford going for it. Blade Runner was very much a product of it's 80's "dark future" time, and I don't believe a story set in that future would be produced in the present day without the artificial impetus of it being a sequel to a cult classic.

And since YouGov keeps asking me about them in surveys (and I have a terrible suspicion the suggestions people come up with are actually used to pitch movies) what do people think of remakes/sequels in general? I think either should only be made if the director honestly believes he can not only equal but surpass what has gone before. Unfortunately, I think the egotism of directors probably makes this stance redundant...

Whilst I don't think it needs a sequel it wouldn't hurt and at least it's Ridley Scott doing it.

I'll wait for the Alien prequels to come out before making any further judgements.

That is a good point, at least Ridley himself is gonna do it and not some American noob "director" who doesn't know a thing about making a work of art

While I'm not really for this as others have said at least Ridley Scott is involved so it wouldn't be completely bad. I just hope with the Alien and Blade Runner prequels he doesn't make it a 12A or whatever and goes full 18 rated with it. Toning down movies for a wider audience for more sales is the worst.

Back