Ridiculously over-powered anime characters, worst offenders?

So who are the worst offenders?

For me one of the worst is Naruto, even some way out from the end of the show he's so over-powered it gets on your nerves. I know he is the hero & all but still. At least with someone like Luffy in One Piece he does get occasionally smacked down by others like he has just done with Bartholomew Kuma in my watch of the show.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Ichigo Kurosaki
being partially every known race in the Bleach franchise is pretty ridiculous. He may have lost his Hollow abilities (and effectively, Visored status), but he's still a Fullbring-using half-human/half-Quincy substitute Soul Reaper
. I mean, that just smells like bad fanfiction.
 

Rosencrantz

Dragon Knight
Lutga said:
Arucard / Alucard from Hellsing.
Definitely this I mean they had to deliberately take him out of the picture for a few OVAs to prevent it from being a boring mass slaughter
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Y-San

Shinki
Joshawott said:
Ichigo Kurosaki
being partially every known race in the Bleach franchise is pretty ridiculous. He may have lost his Hollow abilities (and effectively, Visored status), but he's still a Fullbring-using half-human/half-Quincy substitute Soul Reaper
. I mean, that just smells like bad fanfiction.
Bear with me on this one but I think what makes Ichigo remotely bearable is the fact that he isn't really that special. I mean, he's basically just a genetic experiment, so it really could have been anyone. Though to that end, even Naruto could possibly be absolved to some extent, at least until that whole destiny stuff cropped up.

I mean, the problem with implying specifically (or otherwise) that your character is fated to follow a certain path is that it kills all character development since they're now basically following a set of rails. What people really want to see, what really endears people, is the struggle that is undertaken in trying to reach a goal (irrespective of its value), so it doesn't really matter how strong or weak any character is, so long as they're appropriately challenged on the way there. A hero must always appear fallible to be truly worthy of sympathy.

In that sense though, I do agree with you though, at least when it comes to later arcs in Bleach. Ichigo is never really challenged enough to warrant sympathy and ends up a rather boring character as a result.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Yowanda-san said:
Joshawott said:
Ichigo Kurosaki
being partially every known race in the Bleach franchise is pretty ridiculous. He may have lost his Hollow abilities (and effectively, Visored status), but he's still a Fullbring-using half-human/half-Quincy substitute Soul Reaper
. I mean, that just smells like bad fanfiction.
Bear with me on this one but I think what makes Ichigo remotely bearable is the fact that he isn't really that special. I mean, he's basically just a genetic experiment, so it really could have been anyone. Though to that end, even Naruto could possibly be absolved to some extent, at least until that whole destiny stuff cropped up.

I mean, the problem with implying specifically (or otherwise) that your character is fated to follow a certain path is that it kills all character development since they're now basically following a set of rails. What people really want to see, what really endears people, is the struggle that is undertaken in trying to reach a goal (irrespective of its value), so it doesn't really matter how strong or weak any character is, so long as they're appropriately challenged on the way there. A hero must always appear fallible to be truly worthy of sympathy.

In that sense though, I do agree with you though, at least when it comes to later arcs in Bleach. Ichigo is never really challenged enough to warrant sympathy and ends up a rather boring character as a result.
What ultimately happened to Naruto basically negated everything he said during his Chuunin Exam match with Neji.
 

Y-San

Shinki
Joshawott said:
What ultimately happened to Naruto basically negated everything he said during his Chuunin Exam match with Neji.
Well, we all make outlandish claims when we're young >_>
 
Joshawott said:
Yowanda-san said:
Joshawott said:
Ichigo Kurosaki
being partially every known race in the Bleach franchise is pretty ridiculous. He may have lost his Hollow abilities (and effectively, Visored status), but he's still a Fullbring-using half-human/half-Quincy substitute Soul Reaper
. I mean, that just smells like bad fanfiction.
Bear with me on this one but I think what makes Ichigo remotely bearable is the fact that he isn't really that special. I mean, he's basically just a genetic experiment, so it really could have been anyone. Though to that end, even Naruto could possibly be absolved to some extent, at least until that whole destiny stuff cropped up.

I mean, the problem with implying specifically (or otherwise) that your character is fated to follow a certain path is that it kills all character development since they're now basically following a set of rails. What people really want to see, what really endears people, is the struggle that is undertaken in trying to reach a goal (irrespective of its value), so it doesn't really matter how strong or weak any character is, so long as they're appropriately challenged on the way there. A hero must always appear fallible to be truly worthy of sympathy.

In that sense though, I do agree with you though, at least when it comes to later arcs in Bleach. Ichigo is never really challenged enough to warrant sympathy and ends up a rather boring character as a result.
What ultimately happened to Naruto basically negated everything he said during his Chuunin Exam match with Neji.
This is what killed Naruto for me as a show, as who wants to watch a character you know is always going to win & has an already pre-determined end game.
 
Top