Review: Get Backers #2

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
I've taken a look at ADV UK's Get Backers #2 (released in March).<ul><span class=menu>"Get Backers #2 is a fun little action show balanced between terribly mediocre and terribly good. Suffice to say, I've had enough of these smaller adventures and the next volume will prove a make or break moment for this series; I'm looking for some real emotional angst, something tangibly compelling to bind me to these pretty, but rather dull characters."</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=106">Read full review</a>.

I take strong offense that you would even consider insinuating that Kazuki is genderless :lol: :wink:
He is a guy for definite, albeit a very pretty one!! what is questionable is his sexuality! but I don't let those issues worry me overly much in anime!!
My personal opinion of the first 2 discs of Get Backers is it's a slow but sure introduction to the characters and the "violin" episode is essential in showing Shido's emotional side and later episodes will be based on this factor! Plus they're also important in showing the emotional ties and bond between Ban and Ginji. The reasons for all these emotions come to light in vol 3 & 4 and that is the point in which Get Backers goes from good to bloody brilliant :mrgreen:

Miaka-chan said:
I take strong offense that you would even consider insinuating that Kazuki is genderless :lol: :wink:
He is a guy for definite, albeit a very pretty one!! what is questionable is his sexuality! but I don't let those issues worry me overly much in anime!!

Well, looking at Kazuki, I thought he was a girl until the low voice kicked in. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to discover if he was some kind of new breed of human, especially given the freaky powers many of the other characters were born with ;)

As I've read elsewhere, I'm sure (and am hoping) Get Backers improves a lot over the coming volumes. It's not that I particularly dislike the show, I'm just not particularly interested in it. I felt kinda bad penning that review, because I know we have a lot of Get Backers fans here, but like a lot of other shows, anime fandom has a bad habbit of over-hyping.

IanC said:
Miaka-chan said:
Plus they're also important in showing the emotional ties and bond between Ban and Ginji.
Yes emotional ties , not "love" like so many Yaoi fangirls seem to think ;)
Yaoi fangirls will search every innuendo, every glance and stare to see if they can put a B/L undertone to it, why do you think the average yaoi fangirl scares me :lol:
There is a very strong bond between Ban and Ginji but it is platonic, male friendship is portrayed very deeply in anime, unlike their "real life" counterparts who find it very difficult to express emotions :lol:

Honestly Paul, Get Backers gets so much better from volume 3 onwards. I'm quite happy watching slow paced episodes, knowing they will lead to better things!! I'm so glad you realised my Kazuki comment was a jovial one! He does look like a she but he does get quite "manly" in one episode :wink:

Back