Review: Excel Saga

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Stuart Bullen has sent us his thoughts on the "crazy" comedy Excel Saga, a 6 DVD-volume series out now in the UK from ADV.<ul><span class="menu">A lusciously irreverent and unequivocally mental show, Excel Saga can sometimes be too relentless for it's own good but still remains one of the finest anime comedies currently available. If you suffer from a twisted sense of humour Excel Saga is the perfect remedy.</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=123">Read the full review.</a>

Excel Saga is brill, one of my fave comedies ever.

Of course it isnt 26 episodes, oh no, its only 25. Ep 26 is just a taster of whats to come in Puni Puni Poemy ;)

Excel Saga really is a fun anime , enjoyed most of the episodes a great deal :D .
Im still scared of those creepy Puchu aliens though!

I like Excel Saga more and more each time I watch it (partly because it's taken me all this time to figure out what Excel is saying). And for some reason the idea of having Menchi as an emergency food supply really appealed to me- I want one of those Menchi+tabletop grills that ADV US sell on their website!

I quite like Excel Saga, but I don't think it's as good as a lot of people make out. The quality seems to vary a lot from episode to episode, with some of them really not being very good at all. Which, I suppose, is acceptable for an experimental comedy, but still doesn't make particularly good viewing.

It can also become pointlessly wacky at times (i.e. wacky but not funny) simply for the sake of it. Plus the characters all seem to exist solely for the sake of the jokes: there isn't really any character development worth speaking of throughout the whole series.

All that said, it's still funny.

Red XIII said:
I want one of those Menchi+tabletop grills that ADV US sell on their website!
Got!! TRSI (rightstuf) had them on there daliy deals a lil while back. I really want a Menchi plushie tho :)

i have the first Excel DVD and it gets me in stitches every time. i really ought to get thwe rest of it. i suppose a series that parodies a wide variety of genres is always going to be a hit-and-miss affair. i'm pretty sure Mutsumi from Love Hina was the inspiration for Hyatt though, right down to her placid nature and habit of collapsing without warning!

Excel Saga is an amazing series with great jokes and wacky twisted humour. Probably one of my favourite series. Pedro is one of the best characters in it.

I remember watching a trailer for it once. Seemed... strange. Guy with big affro-style hair pulling machine guns out of it. Woman singing and coughing up blood. Weird dog.

And some guy with what appears to be either a black hole or a small galaxy where his head ought to be.

Hmmm. :?

Back