Retro Mecha Podcast - Episode 14 'Tekkaman - The Space Knight'

Hi Everyone,

Episode 4 is now out with a look at Mamoru Nagano's epic The Five Star Stories with reviews of the manga and anime and a comparison of the two..

Listen on Souncloud here:

Retro Mecha Podcast #4 'The Five Star Stories'

or find us on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, Pocket Cast, Podcast Addicts, Cast Box, Overcast FM and Spotify by searching for Retro Mecha Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Craig and I will be recording our next episode where we review Daltanious: Robot of the Future in the next week or so. Please reply here any questions or comments you have for us.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Craig and I will be recording our next episode this weekend. This episode will be a Toshihiro Hirano Mecha OVA special and we will be reviewing Hyper Combat Unit Dangaioh, Battle of the Great Demon Beasts: Demon of Steel and Hades Project Zeorymer. Please reply here any questions or comments you have for us.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Still have the subbed VHS tapes and the illustration collection book I got when I bought the Dangaio pack via Previews (or Diamond Distribution or whatever they were called back then) in the mid 1990's from my local comic book shop when Nippan Books/US Renditions was closing down and offloading all of their excess stock. The pack came with the three parts of the OVA on separate tapes (subtitled) and the first illustration collection book I ever owned Toshihiro Hirano's "Onna Iware Mega Character Paradise", which is mostly Iczer franchise stuff, Dangaio and few other pieces. The book is really high quality, almost all colour, hardcover and still has the original obi which has survived really well over the last 20 years on my shelf. Easily the best anime related purchase I made in that decade.

Still have the subbed VHS tapes and the illustration collection book I got when I bought the Dangaio pack via Previews (or Diamond Distribution or whatever they were called back then) in the mid 1990's from my local comic book shop when Nippan Books/US Renditions was closing down and offloading all of their excess stock. The pack came with the three parts of the OVA on separate tapes (subtitled) and the first illustration collection book I ever owned Toshihiro Hirano's "Onna Iware Mega Character Paradise", which is mostly Iczer franchise stuff, Dangaio and few other pieces. The book is really high quality, almost all colour, hardcover and still has the original obi which has survived really well over the last 20 years on my shelf. Easily the best anime related purchase I made in that decade.

What a purchase and that book sounds amazing, I would love to see the artwork in it. It always frustrated me having to wait so long for to see the first episode of Dangaioh after learning that the first episode was missing from the UK VHS. I hope you enjoy our reviews of some of Hirano's works.

Hi Everyone,

Episode 6 is now out, this episode is a Toshihiro Hirano OVA special with reviews of Dangaioh, Demon of Steel and Zeorymer.

Retro Mecha Podcast #6 'Toshihiro Hirano OVA Special'

or find us on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, Pocket Cast, Podcast Addicts, Cast Box, Overcast FM and Spotify or most podcast hosting services by searching for Retro Mecha Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

What a purchase and that book sounds amazing, I would love to see the artwork in it. It always frustrated me having to wait so long for to see the first episode of Dangaioh after learning that the first episode was missing from the UK VHS.
I have a new printer/scanner, but haven't had the time to set it up. Oddly the book seems to be reasonably hard to find. The listing on Mandarake gives a few sample pages. Think a fair bit of the material is duplicated in the Character Works illustration collection. A lot of oddities in Mega Character Paradise book. Looks like Hirano was commissioned to do artwork for Godzilla Vs Biolante and the 1990 tokusatsu series aimed at girls, Poitrine.

Baffled as to why Manga didn't release the first episode. I mean, why not split all three OVAs over two tapes to maximise profit? Pretty sure it was released over here as the Manga UK version. It was a bit of an odd time with that label as Siren lost the rights to the label and it sort of reverted to Island's local distributor, Polygram, who had no idea what to do with it. Also a lot of UK tapes were imported locally and there were some uncut bootlegs (proper factory pressed stuff!) of stuff banned or censored here like Violence Jack, so might be misremembering.

Hi Everyone,

Episode 7 is now out, this is the second part of our Macross retrospective with reviews of Macross II: Lovers Again, Macross Plus (OVA & Movie) and Macross Zero. Even though Zero came after Macross 7, it made more sense to group it with the other OVAs.

Retro Mecha Podcast #7 'Macross Retrospective Part 2'

or find us on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, Pocket Cast, Podcast Addicts, Cast Box, Overcast FM and Spotify or most podcast hosting services by searching for Retro Mecha Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Funnily enough, I remember one of my friends being quite into Macross Zero some years ago, as I think they were impressed by the visuals, but I'm not sure if they'd seen any other parts of the franchise at the time. I did try to watch it myself on possibly more than one occasion, but even though I didn't dislike it, I never did finish the series - kind of felt like it needed a stronger hook to pull you through it.

I'll be interested to see what you guys make of Macross 7 though, I really struggled with that one...

Interestingly, i didn't mind Macross Zero, but i've not been able to really dive into the rest of the series that have come before to give a fair judgement in comparison. I really liked Frontier, and the episode that put focus on Zero was good(was my excuse to check it out after).
I really wish i could get a hold of the original macross series, but alas i missed it on UP1 when it had it back in the day....

Hi Everyone,

Craig and I will be recording the next episode of the podcast where we will be reviewing 1978 Super Robot show Cosmic Devil Daikengo. reply here with any questions or comments you have for us.

Hi Everyone,

This year we're taking part in Mecha March on Twitter and we're doing this cross platform with my other podcast Retro Anime Podcast and @Scrambled Valkyrie's blog Anime Heads Retro World.

This podcast covers OVAs from 1987 with reviews of Relic Armor Legaciam, Demon Legend Frontier Le Deus and Good Morning Althea.

Retro Mecha Podcast #9 'Mecha March 2021'

or find us on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, Pocket Cast, Podcast Addicts, Cast Box, Overcast FM, Spotify and Amazon Music or most podcast hosting services by searching for Retro Mecha Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Our latest episode is now out. Craig and I dip into the SD world of mech anime with the a review of the hugely popular 1988 TV series Spirit Hero Wataru.

Retro Mecha Podcast #10 'Spirit Hero Wataru'

or find us on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, Pocket Cast, Podcast Addicts, Cast Box, Overcast FM, Spotify and Amazon Music or most podcast hosting services by searching for Retro Mecha Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Our latest episode is now out. Craig and I finally take a look at show by 70's Super Robot creative Go Nagai with a review of Steel Jeeg.

Retro Mecha Podcast #11 'Steel Jeeg'

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Back