1. Welcome to the new Anime UK News forums! Please view this thread for more information regarding your account and the forums. If you can't log in, your password has been blanked and will need to be reset.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro Anime Podcast - Episode 3

Discussion in 'General Anime Chit-Chat' started by orgun, Sep 7, 2016.

1. orgun

orgun Stand User

Hi Everyone,

I have been itching to do my own podcast for a few years and I have finally got round to doing it!

The Retro Anime Podcast focuses solely on anime from the 60's through to the mid 90's, the first episode reviews some well known but largely forgotten films Odin & Lensman.

The podcast can be found at the website (which is very basic at the moment) www.retroanimepodcast.com or at podomatic by searching Retro Anime Podcast.

Please have a listen and I would be interested in what you think!

Thanks,

Ian (Orgun)

Professor Irony likes this.
  2. Professor Irony

Professor Irony Za Warudo

Got a chance to sit down and listen to the episode today, definitely an interesting couple of choices for discussion.

I do know of Odin, but afraid all I've ever seen of it is the fleeting glimpse you used to get in the old Manga Video promo trailer. Was intrigued to hear that Loudness were involved with the music for it though - I liked their opening track for Mazinkaiser SKL.

With Lensman, it was mostly just the Kawajiri connection that drove me to watch it. Can't remember much about the story now, but I did think it was a good looking film and, comparing it with some of his later work, it does seem like you can sense Kawajiri's hand at work in the action sequences.

3. HdE

HdE Comic Book Guy

I really do wish somebody would get hold of Lensman and put it ut on DVD. There's a whole TV series as well, I believe.

Odin, on the other hand... that film is to me what garlic is to vampires. Nobody who values the potential to do great things with two hours of their time should ever waste it on that abomination!

4. Professor Irony

Something in the back of my mind says the wonderfully cooperative Harmony Gold had a hand in one version of the Lensman anime in the US, but you'd think that would hardly affect any potential rerelease in Japan. I did also wonder if there might be some legal wrangle with Doc Smith's estate preventing any reissue, but who knows?

Edit: Yeah, Mike Toole suggests it is the author's estate. He speculates that it may be down to them trying to get a Hollywood movie off the ground, or due to Smith's granddaughter's allegedly vocal dislike of the liberties the film took with the story.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  5. orgun

orgun Stand User

Thanks for listening and replying!

We're currently finalising content for the next episode. which hopefully will be recorded in the next couple of weeks. I openly admit Odin is a divisive film and has its flaws but it has a charm that I really like about it, each to their own and all that!!!

6. orgun

orgun Stand User

7. Professor Irony

I kind of like the art for Grey (even borrowed the baseball-style helmet design for something I drew myself once), but it's not one I've ever actually watched. By the sounds of things, I'm not missing much :/

With the Battle Angel Alita ovas though, I think what sticks in my mind most about them was their atmosphere of melancholy. I know a lot of the old cyberpunk ovas could be quite downbeat, but maybe it was that contrast of lighter moments with much darker themes that made it stand out - it's kind of weirdly whimsical amongst all the gore and sense of inescapable fate.

8. orgun

orgun Stand User

Hi Professor Irony,

Thank you for listening to the podcast.

I completely agree with your sentiments regarding Battle Angel, it does have a strangely melancholic atmosphere against the grim reality of the world the characters live in.

Grey is held up as this cult classic but I think it is quite unjustified as the anime is average at best, apparently the manga is very good though.

Hopefully Lewis and I will be recording the next episode of the podcast soon.

9. orgun

orgun Stand User