Retro Anime Podcast - Episode 34 'How Long Were You Alone With That Dog'

Can I please ask how retro anime is able to be watched these days?

Sci-fi channels 12-5am anime slot where they'd throw episodes together to make a "film" introducted me to Bubblegum Crisis, Blue Sonner & The Red Fang and and Megazone 23 as well as some others like Dominon Tank Police and my VHS player when I'd self record and the VHS' themself are basically useless now.

So long as you don't mind having to play US discs, a lot of older titles have made it to DVD and Blu Ray now. AnimEigo did a Kickstarter to get Bubblegum Crisis a particularly nice BD release a couple of years back, and they've recently finished another one for Megazone 23. Dominion badly needs a re-release, but there are DVDs out there for it.

The Americans even have a dedicated retro-themed anime streaming service now called Retro Crush, but unfortunately, it's region locked :/

I'll take a look at what DVD and BR's are available then, thank you :)

Is Blue Sonnet available too or is that one pending?

Mum has a VHS & DVD dvd player in one so maybe I'll dig the home recorded VHS', double check the quality on her player and record onto DVD as it's at least something :) as I know 100% there's more old school on the home recorded I'm forgetting about!

Hi Everyone,

Episode 20 is now out. Lewis and I look into a couple of 1989 OVAs purporting to be 'romantic comedies' with reviews of Dokushin Apart Dokudamisou and Star Cat Full House.

You can listen on SoundCloud directly here:

Retro Anime Podcast #20 'The Rocky Road To Love'

Or find the podcast on iTunes, TuneIn, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, CastBox Player, Pocket Casts, Overcast FM and many other podcast players by searching For Retro Anime Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

I can't believe I didn't hit 'post reply' when I was doing this!!!!!!!!! In too much of a hurry these days.

As for the availability of retro anime as The Professor says Discotek in the US are releasing a lot of titles on DVD and Blu-ray, many are re-releases of titles previously available in the West but they are releasing some interesting new titles as well. Definitely need to get a region-free Blu-ray player as many of the longer TV series are now available on SD Blu-ray discs.

For some of the more obscure titles the only way you're ever going to see them is via fansubs.

Blue Sonnet isn't available officially available on DVD anywhere but as Professor Irony says it is the type of thing that Discotek would license so here's hoping.

Hi Everyone,

Lewis and I will be recording the next episode of the podcast this weekend. This episode will be the final part of our Gall Force retrospective with reviews of The Ten Little Gall Force, Scramble Wars and Gall Force The Revolution.

Plus we will be welcoming Gerald Rathkolb of the Anime World Order podcast on to join us for the reviews and talk Gall Force in general.

Reply here with any Gall Force questions or comments you have for us.

Thanks for listening,

Ian.

Given that AnimEigo's Super Deformed Double Feature release was probably the first exposure many folk had to Gall Force in the UK (I don't think any of the other films were available at the time?), what I always wonder is how much you feel people who haven't experienced the rest of the franchise could get from those two OVAs?

Hi Everyone,

Episode 21 is now out. This is the final part of our Gall Force retrospective and Lewis and I are joined by Gerald Rathkolb of the Anime World Order podcast to review The Ten Little Gall Force, Scramble Wars and Gall Force The Revolution plus talk a lot about Gall Force in general.

Retro Anime Podcast #21 'Galls Having Fun Forever More'

Or find the podcast on iTunes, TuneIn, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, CastBox Player, Pocket Casts, Overcast FM and many other podcast players by searching For Retro Anime Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Episode 22 is now out. A mix of OVAs with reviews of the experimental Take The X Train and some slice of life with Here Is Greenwood.

Retro Anime Podcast #22 'Taking The Train To Greenwood'

Thanks for listening,

Ian

It's something I've long been a bit hesitant to mention, as I know it's highly regarded, but I actually dropped Here Is Greenwood after the second episode because of how tasteless I thought the gag about Nagisa taking up child molesting was, so I'm glad it's not just me who had that reaction. I did quite like the first episode though, so if the rest doesn't follow suite, I'll try and go back to it sometime.

I'm glad we're not the only ones who felt that way about episode 2 as well!

The remaining episodes were really good and as such I'd recommend going back to it. Episode 2 was such an odd creative choice, especially given that the rest of the series isn't like that and how deep the final 2 episodes get.

Episode 23 is now out. A look at a couple of air combat military themed OVAs with reviews of Area 88 and The Cockpit.

Retro Anime Podcast #23 'Aces High'

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Really good episode this one. Some really good points raised and even though I'd spoken to you about your Japan visit directly and you'd told me how you felt upon visiting Hiroshima it was still interesting to hear about how you and Lewis's experience there tied in with how The cockpit captured those events.

Having only seen the OVA fairly recently, I enjoyed Area 88 a lot, but I can't disagree with what you guys said about it. Given the time the manga started and the look of Shintani's art, I kind of wonder if he was going for that kind of extreme melodrama you used to get in things like Rose of Versailles and Aim for the Ace, but the parts that happen in Japan just don't have the weight that Shin's struggle does.

One thing I did particularly like that didn't come up though was the music, I thought the soundtrack was great and actually put to good use in the anime. I'm biased as I love Mio anyway, but Goodbye Lonely Blue seemed to really work with that montage of the pilots scrambling; there's a real sense of this weird mania they all have, rushing to get all the fuel and ammunition together like there's a chance they might miss out on getting into combat.

Thanks Craig 👍

Yes the music was good and we didn't talk about it, I really like MIO as well, the theme to L-Gaim has been my ring tone for about 17 years now! I think you're spot on with the extreme melodrama angle, I think Shintani was trying to come up with something that would keep people interested between the aerial combat scenes :)

It's something I've long been a bit hesitant to mention, as I know it's highly regarded, but I actually dropped Here Is Greenwood after the second episode because of how tasteless I thought the gag about Nagisa taking up child molesting was, so I'm glad it's not just me who had that reaction. I did quite like the first episode though, so if the rest doesn't follow suite, I'll try and go back to it sometime.

You know what's funny? I've watched Greenwood at least 3 times and never even noticed the gag you've mentioned. Guess I'll have to re-watch ep.2.

Back