Retro Anime Podcast - Episode 34 'How Long Were You Alone With That Dog'

Are the movies relatively accessible for someone coming into it blind? I was always kind of curious about Silent Mobius, but my sole experience of the anime is seeing the TV series dubbed into French.

I'd normally say that you need to watch the tv series before watching the "movies"-which are more like extended regular episodes than movies. I guess you could watch the movies by themselves but you'd be missing out on a lot of the references that assume you'd watched the tv series first.

Hi Everybody,

Much later than planned our latest episode is finally out. As part of tribute to a my dear friend Dan Auty, who hosted the Mondo Movie and Streampunk podcasts, Lewis and I review the two Silent Mobius movies.

You can listen directly on SoundCloud here:

Retro Anime Podcast #30 'Silent But Never Forgotten'

Or find the podcast on Amazon Music, iTunes, TuneIn, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, CastBox Player, Pocket Casts, Overcast FM and many other podcast players by searching for Retro Anime Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everybody,

Lewis and I will be recording our next episode in the next week. This time another couple of unlicensed OVAs with reviews of To-Y and Yagami's Family Affair.

Reply here with any questions or comments you have for us.

Many thanks,

Ian

Had to look up what Yagami's Family Affair was and uh, yeah... good luck. To-Y is one I seem to remember hearing positive things about, but never got around to checking out though, so would be interested to know what you make of that one.

Hi Everybody,

Here's our first episode of the year. Lewis and I review two very different OVAs To-y and Yagami-kun's Family Affair.

Retro Anime Podcast #31 'Toy Families'

Or find the podcast on Amazon Music, iTunes, TuneIn, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, CastBox Player, Pocket Casts, Overcast FM and many other podcast players by searching for Retro Anime Podcast.

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everybody,

I'm happy to say our March March 2023 episode is out where the 3 of us had a great time talking about X-Bomber and Star Fleet.

Retro Anime Podcast #32 'Mecha March 2023'

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Hi Everybody,

Lewis and I will be recording our next episode over the weekend. We will be taking a look at a couple of animal themed war movies with reviews of Bremen 4: Angels in Hell and Penguin's Memory: A Tale of Happiness.

vlcsnap-2023-02-16-22h21m42s058.pngvlcsnap-2023-02-16-22h22m06s356.png
vlcsnap-2023-02-07-16h16m37s151.pngvlcsnap-2023-02-07-16h21m33s427.png

Many thanks,

Ian

Ahh, yes. I've not seen the film in its entirety (seen a fair bit of it through clips), but I've heard a lot about Penguin's Memory and I'm very curious about where the idea for the film came from. My understanding is that the penguins were popular mascot characters for a brand of beer in Japan at the time, so quite how they got from there to 'serious drama about the effects of war and dealing with PTSD' seems like a bit of a mystery...

Not sure how it all fits together, but amusingly, I'm guessing the film must have also had some influence on the designers at Konami, as the penguin character in the later Parodius games is often depicted with a very similar flak jacket / machine gun combo.

Hi Everybody,

Our new episode is out, a couple of real curios with reviews of Bremen 4 - Angels in Hell and Penguin's Memory - A Tale of Happiness. Lewis and I had a really good time talking about these fascinating films.

Retro Anime Podcast #33 'War Stories and Beer'

Thanks for listening,

Ian

Ahh, yes. I've not seen the film in its entirety (seen a fair bit of it through clips), but I've heard a lot about Penguin's Memory and I'm very curious about where the idea for the film came from. My understanding is that the penguins were popular mascot characters for a brand of beer in Japan at the time, so quite how they got from there to 'serious drama about the effects of war and dealing with PTSD' seems like a bit of a mystery...

Not sure how it all fits together, but amusingly, I'm guessing the film must have also had some influence on the designers at Konami, as the penguin character in the later Parodius games is often depicted with a very similar flak jacket / machine gun combo.

The film's origins is something we talk about, it does have an unusual story behind it and is a bit of a mystery. Interesting to see the influence on Parodius :)

Hi Everybody,

Lewis and I will be recording our next episode today. We will be taking a look at a some 80's OVAs with obvious influences with reviews of Roots Search, Hell Target and Lily C.A.T.

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Everybody,

We managed to squeeze one more in this year. This time a trio of 80's sci-fi horror/thriller OVAs with obvious influences with reviews of Roots Search, Hell Target and Lily C.A.T.

Retro Anime Podcast #34 'How Long Were You Alone With That Dog'

Thanks for listening,

Ian

The only one I’ve seen so far is Lily C.A.T. (Even Japan was not above the terrible 80s forced acronyms, it seems) but listening to the episode, it’s something I wouldn’t mind revisiting. In particular, as Streamline were often in the habit of playing fairly loose with their dub scripts, I’d be curious to know if the dialogue is any more natural in English!

Back