Recommend me some "serious" series.

Lupus

Baka Ranger
So one of my RL friends is getting back into anime after taking a break from it, and is asking for some things to watch, though he's quite limited in what he likes, because he only likes "realistic" to an extent stuff, like GitS, Hellsing, Karas, etc. [Don't try to correct me if any of these series are actually "realistic"] And I've only had a few suggestions to give him, Ergo Proxy, Gunslinger Girl second season, Hellsing OVA series.

But I need a few more for him. Got any ideas?

Also, don't recommend: Evangelion, any Super Robot anime, anything from Shounen Jump, any dumb harem series.

Go. Thanks in advance~<3

A none fanciful and serious anime I’d suggest is Texhnolyze. Only watched about half of it myself but it’s definitely serious. And Witch Hunter Robin, possibly?

Oh and RL?

He's seen both seasons of Black Lagoon, and all of Jigoku Shoujo, IIRC. I'll tell him to try Perfect Blue, but I dunno if he can appreciate Perfect Blue, he's more into the heavy action little plotline series, will mention everything you've both mentioned so far though.

RL = Real Life.

Since you've already mentioned GitS (I assume you mean Stand Alone Complex, and not the lame movie), I can only recommend Berserk off the top of my head.

Can't really think of anything that suits that criteria, Lupus! Though if he can appreciate the utter weirdness of Gunslinger Girl, I should think he'd be able for some mecha series ... ?

CitizenGeek said:
I should think he'd be able for some mecha series ... ?
Depends, I know for a fact he won't watch EVA or Eureka Seven, because he just laughs at them.

@ Maxon: Yeah, I mentioned Berserk too him a while ago, wasn't too enthusiastic with the whole idea, plus the animation is pretty LQ so I dunno if he'd consider it or not, will give it another mention to.

Um, Gantz? Dunno about that one though, I know that most hate the anime due to the way it adapts/kills the manga. I don't mind it but perhaps he might be put off by bizarre aliens.

don't take my word on it, but

The Third, from right stuf, has action as well as comedy
then you've got the Gundam series, X/1999, and of course you can't go wrong with Akira

Just looking round room Planetes, Yugo the Negotiator, Area 88, Patlabor movies, Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade and on the hard drive Moyashimon, Denno Coil,. Possibly She, Ultimate weapon, Witch Hunter Robin, Inifnite Ryvius, and Gasaraki but maybe not, as they have some elements (giant death robot's/ girlfriend, supernatural stuff) that you warned against.
Otaku-san mentioned The Third and X/1999, personally can't recomend the first, and avoid the movie baring the name of the second (series is much better from what i've heard).

Lupus Inu said:
@ Maxon: Yeah, I mentioned Berserk too him a while ago, wasn't too enthusiastic with the whole idea, plus the animation is pretty LQ so I dunno if he'd consider it or not, will give it another mention to.
I've seen worse anime that have aired in the last few years when you look at the animation quality. Animation quality is never an indicator of a show's quality. If you're friend is so superficial over these things, he's missing out on loads of great anime, e.g. Martian Successor Nadesico and Devilman Lady.

Lelouch said:
I think he should also try Elfen Lied.
Elfen Lied isn't as great as everyone says. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's certainly not great either. One to put on hold until better stuff has been watched, methinks.

Back