Recomendations please.

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
Hi, some of the old hands may remember me, but I used to watch a lot of anime back in the day, but over the last 3 years I haven't watched as much due to a number of reasons. Now my life has settled down a bit I want to get back in, but haven't a clue where to start, and after trying a few shows nearly got turned off the enterprise.
What I want is a show with :
  • -About half the cast over 16. I work in schools, and deal with kids all smegging day, and I don't want them taking over my free time as well.

-Not set in a school. See point 1 and since most of the shows I've watched set in a school are less believable and fantastical than Lord of the Rings I'll pass on them

-About half the case Male. Shows with 30 girls and 2 guys I'll pass on them to.

-Not 'slice of life', I live life I don't want to watch it.

A incomplete list of what I' ve seen can be found here
So some recommendations would be gratefully received.

Steins;Gate best anime sci-fi in years.
Eden of the East, great cyberpunk thriller

and it breaks most of your rules, but Kids on the Slope. Slice of life, characters of high school age, but takes place mostly outside of school, but it's a little more with the realism, and it reunites Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno. Actually not so much slice of life than it is actual drama. And 1960s period setting, plus jazz music.

Just Passing Through said:
Seconded.

I had a quick look over your list and didn't notice any of the following:

Redline
House of Five Leaves
Hellsing OVA (aka Ultimate)
NANA

All of which I think you might find agreeable.

It's not exactly recent, but I think Monster would seem like an obvious choice. Brilliant young doctor saves the life of a dying child, only to realise, years later, that he has inadvertantly borne a serial killer.

The Tatami Galaxy could be worth a shot too. It's a sharp, cynical comic-drama about a neurotic university student whose overwhelming desire to win friends and influence people sees him trapped in a Groundhog Day-style loop of his second year.

Looking at your MAL list, it might also interest you that Moyashimon got a second season, although the re-jigged artwork put a lot of people off (myself included).

hopeful_monster said:
I work in schools, and deal with kids all smgging day
I suggest we invent a new day of the week named 'Smeggingday', thus rendering weeks divisible by two and four. Wednesday is currently too close to Tuesday; a new day would amend this.

I live life I don't want to watch it.
I achieved both today. You see, I noticed somebody with bright pink hair, and soon thereafter I caught sight of a man close to my whereabouts consuming coffee decorated with patterned milk foam. All of this took place whilst I was living, something I continue to do.

I'll go with the Fabricated Loon with Redline. A brain off, story optional blast.

Other recommendations would be

Full Metal Alchemist (brotherhood or original)
Soul Eater (breaks the school rule, but given the story that would be a minor crime)
Cowboy Bebop

I need to make a little confession and say I'm more into older anime so incase you haven't caught any of the following:

hellsing + ultimate
Trinity Blood
Excel Saga

fabricatedlunatic said:
Just Passing Through said:
Seconded.

I had a quick look over your list and didn't notice any of the following:

Redline

NANA

All of which I think you might find agreeable.
I was watching Steins;Gate before wifi became to unrelaible,may try and get into it again, and Eden of the east is on my pile of shame, the Bluray still in shrink wrap. Redline, Tiger and Bunny, House of Five Leaves, Hellsing OVA (aka Ultimate), Full Metal Alchemist (brotherhood or original), Soul Eater, Cowboy Bebop (both movie and series), Trinity Blood, Tatami Galaxy and Excel Saga I've all watched.
As for Monster, Jojo's Bizarre adventure and Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita are they available in this country? Mainly going by lovefilm and free legal internet services available in the UK. If they are I'm game.
Should also say I don't want anything depressing either and everything I've hear about Kids on the Slope siad it was.

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita is on Crunchyroll as "Humanity Has Declined", Monster and JoJo's aren't legally available afaik.

Hey Hopeful_Monster, pleasure to see you back about again(i never disappear, aha, hah...yeah)

Jojo's Bizarre adventure unfortunately isn't available via legal streams, or for purchase here, but it is entertaining if you can bring yourself to watch it.

I want to recommend Attack on Titan as well, though it may fall outwith your first point a tad, maybe not though. It's entertaining, but rather slow paced in the last two episodes(it's also still airing, but it is on Crunchyroll).

Oh, i think i remember you liked Berserk? So perhaps looking into the movies maybe an idea. The first one is out in the UK now, and the second is due in October, but they are worth a watch. Outside of that, i'm not sure what more i can recommend without possibly breaching some of your points.(ie moyashimon, space brothers, kakumeiki valvrave and suisei no gargantia)

Back