Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
daichi383 said:
That concept whether visual or not still bothers a lot so i tend to avoid stories like that

I think a Freudian psychologist would probably read something from that :p

"Oh god not Ponyo" well that was one of many reasons i didnt like ponyo overall but the most obvious reason i hated ponyo was the first half was great and the second was ****. :p

Why do you feel the second half was ****? I thought the second half was possibly the strongest half, though I liked the whole film.
Seriously though, the environmental tones are surely not too distracting, if your not inclined towards that kind of thing?
 

daichi383

School Idol
vashdaman said:
daichi383 said:
That concept whether visual or not still bothers a lot so i tend to avoid stories like that

I think a Freudian psychologist would probably read something from that :p

"Oh god not Ponyo" well that was one of many reasons i didnt like ponyo overall but the most obvious reason i hated ponyo was the first half was great and the second was ****. :p

Why do you feel the second half was ****? I thought the second half was possibly the strongest half, though I liked the whole film.
Seriously though, the environmental tones are surely not too distracting, if your not inclined towards that kind of thing?

I just didn't really think that after liam neeson brought them so technically the kid didnt bring back ponyo, the big floating lady should have been like "you did it the world is saved promise to love her forever even though you are only 5 and shouldn't be making any life changing decisions like that" I'm paraphrasing but there are more interesting things miyazaki could have done with the story. watching laputa on blu-ray immedietly before ponyo probably didnt help either.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Animefreak17

Godhand
rewatched ninja scroll movie

haven't seen this for a while and for a movie thats nearly 20 years old it holds up really well, the animation doesn't look like its aged and is perfect for the story and characters. its nice to watch it after a while but there is 1 thing that bother me like the back story of the 8 devils and there powers, they dont explain it. but its a good old ninja story with powers lol, if i had to choose which was better i choose the film over the series.

8/10
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
@ Daichi
Eh, I wasn't really bothered about picking holes in the actual details of the story. It was a fairytale at the end of the day (albeit one set in reality). So I'd feel a tad harsh docking points off ol Zaki for not being realistic or subversive enough when it came to the ending. I liked it, it was just a sweet ending really.
 

daichi383

School Idol
vashdaman said:
@ Daichi
Eh, I wasn't really bothered about picking holes in the actual details of the story. It was a fairytale at the end of the day (albeit one set in reality). So I'd feel a tad harsh docking points off ol Zaki for not being realistic or subversive enough when it came to the ending. I liked it, it was just a sweet ending really.

Maybe i was bit too harsh but it just seemed a bit too happy an ending and the cynacism tends to seep in when that happens :p
 

bakum4tsu

Pokémon Master
52953.jpg


eden of the east movie 1 7/10

nothing special in the first movie moving every decision to second and last one. Im gonan watch it in the next days, hope it wil have a great ending.
 

bakum4tsu

Pokémon Master
76483.jpg


tokko 7/10

the old school look its the best part of the series. The history is not bad at all but the end was a bit rushed. The animation was bad but the goore, violence and blood gave it a little bit of salt so it could taste better :lol:
 

Warmaster

Adventurer
daichi383 said:
animefreak17 said:
@daichi383.................. what?. WHAT!. WHAT?!

GITS movie is a freakin fantastic film how could you not like it. GITS was one of the first animes to revolutionise the anime we watch to day.
and the music is beautiful how can you not like it.

i know its your opinion and such but i really think your looking over it. this series is up there along akira its a good movie.

I can see why people love it and i can appreciate that but i personally don't care much for it and most of oshii's work in general. I prefer the way the universe is portrayed in Stand Alone Complex is all.

Not quite as critical, but the first time I watch GITS was back in about 1999 - and me and my brother both agreed "pretty good film, terrible waffle based ending" and I don't think that has changed much, but it is certainly less waffle based than the sequel.

But agree that SAC is much better. I just wish the Tachikoma's disappeared from it (Unnecessary and offensive 'cute characters' that ruin the mood) and then I doubt I could fault it.
 

daichi383

School Idol
Warmaster said:
daichi383 said:
animefreak17 said:
@daichi383.................. what?. WHAT!. WHAT?!

GITS movie is a freakin fantastic film how could you not like it. GITS was one of the first animes to revolutionise the anime we watch to day.
and the music is beautiful how can you not like it.

i know its your opinion and such but i really think your looking over it. this series is up there along akira its a good movie.

I can see why people love it and i can appreciate that but i personally don't care much for it and most of oshii's work in general. I prefer the way the universe is portrayed in Stand Alone Complex is all.

Not quite as critical, but the first time I watch GITS was back in about 1999 - and me and my brother both agreed "pretty good film, terrible waffle based ending" and I don't think that has changed much, but it is certainly less waffle based than the sequel.

But agree that SAC is much better. I just wish the Tachikoma's disappeared from it (Unnecessary and offensive 'cute characters' that ruin the mood) and then I doubt I could fault it.

I like them though, They brighten up the otherwise overwhelmingly serious mood.
 
I love the first Ghost in the Shell movie, though more for the atmosphere and beautiful animation than the plot. Oshii's direction never fails to captivate me (see also: Patlabor 2 and Sky Crawlers).

B Gata H Kei - 7/10

A story of a wannabe slut who, it turns out, is actually anything but. Often hilarious when playing up the awkward sex comedy angle, the best example of which is the truly epic final episode, but is not consistently funny, especially early on. Embraces standard romcom clichés a little too freely for my liking, and the production values aren't up to much.

Still, there are seemingly few anime comedy which even acknowledge that sex exists, never mind be so forthright about it, making B Gata H Kei somewhat refreshing.
 

Animefreak17

Godhand
big windup

if you was in to baseball and you wanted to learn how to play it then i guess this series is for you. its isnt that great all it is is a bunch of kids playing base ball. and to be honest i thought it was just a throw ball and hit it game but its more complected then i thought but it interesting if your in to baseball. there are funny moments i found it boring boring at times but at times i was in to it.

7.5/10
 

CDAdair

Completely Average High School Student
Just finished watching Starship Operators.
I'm going to give it 6 out of 10.
The ships were very cool, but everything else seemed a bit fluffy too me. I also never developed any connection to the characters, they just seemed to lack something.
A good little series in my opinion, but needed something more for me.
 

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Cowboy Bebop

I first saw this back at my university's "Animation and Comics Society" with the English dub. This is the first time seeing it in subtitles.

I really enjoyed Bebop when I first saw it and it is the same again. The characters are enjoyable. The plots were diverse and interesting (my favourite episode being Pierrot le Fou, the episode with the insane assassin. The soundtrack is brilliant. My main problem, other than the slightly iffy ending (IMO), is with the six disc in the collection which didn't work properly meaning I couldn't work it on my DVD player and so I had to play it on my laptop.

Score: 9 / 10
 
Last edited by a moderator:

alexrose1uk

Straw Hat Pirate
Ookami Kakushi. 5/10

A potentially interesting concept and setup made fatally average by contrived plot decisions/direction, and wooden, stereotypical characters.
Not to mention a truly terrible last episode which may as well have been an OVA so out of tone with the rest of the show was it. The time and budget should have been used much more wisely on the core show.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this as any more than throwaway time filler. It's not unwatchable but there are no real merits to it either.
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Thanks prof, good stuff! How did I guess there was going to be a slightly disturbing sex scene lol, although to be fair, it sounds a lot milder than some of it's peers equivalents.
The main samurai's VA did really sound quite good though. Very theatrical, indeed.
 

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Moderator
Yeah, I think 'Golgo-lite' is probably the phrase to sum that one up. It's watchable enough, but the lack of a proper conclusion really brings it down in the end.

It's since come to my attention as well that the film is free to watch on Manga's youtube channel at the moment. Even at that, I don't know if I'd recommend it for anyone other than serious samurai fans and the heavily inebriated...
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Yeah, but to be fair I think it was something of a trend in the 90's for samurai/ninja anime to include at least one disturbing sex scene. Didn't Ninja scroll even have one? Thank god anime seems to have outgrown that phase.

Yeah I'm really not sure I'd watch Sword of Truth even for free, though lol.
 

bakum4tsu

Pokémon Master
bakuman season 1 8/10

Its a good series. The type of serie that the main characters grow up aiming to reach the top like the great beck or hajime no ippo among others. Bakuman was not exciting as those two I've mentioned but was great in his way and i'm looking foward to start seeing season two in the next days.
 
Top