Quick question re: ordering from the US/import fees

fathomlessblue

Student Council President
Hi folks, I'm looking to buy some items from Rightstuf during their current (& possibly last) Christmas sale, but I'm kinda discouraged by the price to get them over here ($50 for shipping. $70 for import/tax). I'm thinking of using Shipito instead, but I'm trying to figure out what will get charged aside from shipping? Apparently there's no import fee for packages worth less than £135, so if I split my order in two I can avoid that, but is it really that simple, i.e. are there any other fees I'm aware of to get them into the country? If I can save myself £50-ish using cheapish Shipito couriers twice over, but saving on taxes then I'll definitely go that route, but if there plenty of other hidden little charges that will cut down the margin enough to swallow my pride and use Rightstuf's normal service then I get I'll just have to take that hit.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ps. Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum

Hi folks, I'm looking to buy some items from Rightstuf during their current (& possibly last) Christmas sale, but I'm kinda discouraged by the price to get them over here ($50 for shipping. $70 for import/tax). I'm thinking of using Shipito instead, but I'm trying to figure out what will get charged aside from shipping? Apparently there's no import fee for packages worth less than £135, so if I split my order in two I can avoid that, but is it really that simple, i.e. are there any other fees I'm aware of to get them into the country? If I can save myself £50-ish using cheapish Shipito couriers twice over, but saving on taxes then I'll definitely go that route, but if there plenty of other hidden little charges that will cut down the margin enough to swallow my pride and use Rightstuf's normal service then I get I'll just have to take that hit.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ps. Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum
You won't save on taxes, those will be collected regardless of value. The £135 value you stated is the threshold for import duty, which iinm blurays are zero rated so shouldn't apply.

You won't save on taxes, those will be collected regardless of value. The £135 value you stated is the threshold for import duty, which iinm blurays are zero rated so shouldn't apply.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be sticking to just using Rightstuf then. Presumably their duty and tax deposit fee will cover everything

You’ll likely pay VAT (20%) and a charge from the shipping company, whatever you use. A big order from rightstuf will at least spread the cost of shipping and collect the VAT up front. Nothing worse than receiving a card from a courier like Parcelfarce asking you to pay the tax and their extortionate handling charge

Hi,
I thought I hijack this thread with a similar question.
I was on WoWHD.co.uk and they had a great price for To Love Ru (£61).
I read their FAQs and you pay customs, Vat yourself, fair enough.

I emailed them because when I put the item in the checkout, it added 20% tax.
I wanted to know, was it a USA tax or UK. Even though they said they don't collect it.
I was looking to work out what my total might be even if the Royal Mail charged me.
Of course, they answered saying customs and tax is my responsibility and didn't address my question.

Anyone got a similar experience and an answer.

I am thinking of Up1 but their £9 postage is putting me off. I'll give them a call and see what that gets you. If it's next day and insurance, okay.

Yeah VAT is collected up front. FAQs are a hold over from the "old days" I'm personally of the belief they pocket the 20% since their shipping methods are the same as they've ever been.

Thanks everybody, this all helps.
They seem to be All your Music who I think were caught out with the VAT thing a few years ago. They couldn't answer a question properly either.
Still dithering.
UP1 item in the UK but more £.
Other less £ but waiting as release date says 11/4 and item outside UK.

Just a quick question for anyone who has used All your Music via Ebay. What's their packaging like for shipping items from the US?

I'm asking because I want to order a LE from their Ebay store, but want to make sure it's going to arrive in good condition. Thanks.

I'll try.
It's those cardboard envelopes with the sticky corrugated inside. My recollection is that slipcovers can get a bit worn at corners.

Back