Question about Bleach

I have yet to be able to get past the first eight episodes of Bleach because the pacing seems rather off about them and the characters don't engage. What I wanted to ask is does pacing pick up on season one and does the characterisation change. Is season one typical of the show or not?

Season 1 is actually completely atypical of how the rest of the show will play out. It starts out as a sort of jokey monster-of-the-week style show, but it will slowly turn into your standard Shonen Jump action fighting show once the Soul Society arc kicks in around episode 17 or so. I'd say Bleach hits its peak around this time so it is worth giving it another shot to see if it clicks for you. I'm personally quite fond of the opening episodes myself though I'm definitely in the minority there.

Yeah stick with it, just enjoy them filling out the characters now, because that's about as far as they will develop. I actually liked the slice of life/monster of the week format, once the Soul Society arc kicks in we're into battles that take 400 years to play out and lots of shouting. But I still like it :D

robot monkey said:
Thanks all for the responses.

Can I ask where the films fit in the continuity?

They don't. It's classic Shonen series stuff, take the characters as they appear as the film is being written, and then just write it. Thus none of the films match up with the story in either the anime or the manga.

I liked Season 1 of Bleach. I keep my fingers crossed that they might someday revisit that style of storytelling, and once in a while with a filler arc, or a standalone episode they do. The rest of it makes me want to eat the back of my head.

Back